Workbench build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
=D> =D> =D>

Excellent thread. I was meant to start work (catching up on 500+ emails from the holiday period) but this kept me hooked for about 25 minutes reading it all.... :roll: Not sure my boss will approve!

Thanks for taking the time to show us all your excellent work.

Happy to have given you an enjoyable distraction mate! Don't worry I won't tell the boss!

I had my first meaningful use of the gap between the tops last night when I ripped an awkwardly shaped piece of mdf for the shelf:

I just cramped it and my straight edge down to the bench top with the kerf falling in the gap. Easy peasy.
Going back to the initial laminations of the top sections, with a finish laid down I was able to take a good look at the end grain glue joints. This is always a bit of a concern for me when using pva given it's poor gap filling properties:

Barely visible to my eyes. I've got to be satisfied with that.

Last night I managed to finish cutting the shelf and fitted it using cleats along the insides of the stretchers (sorry no WIP pics, completely slipped my mind). It might be short of a bit of leather here or there but I'm willing to call this bench done now. Here's a pic with the shelf half full of stuff already:

It's final position in my shop will be up against the opposite wall to the one you can see above, with frequently used chisels and saws hanging from that wall.

I hope you enjoyed the thread and thank you everyone for taking an interest! I've certainly enjoyed updating it and really benefitted from your comments and encouragement. Here's hoping that 2017 holds a few more finished projects for us all!

Thanks guys! It was a really fun project to do. I can already tell that it's light years beyond my previous bench. Can't wait to see how my woodworking evolves going forward.

looks great memzey, you should be very proud of that bench.
Looking forward to the next WIP thread :D

Back