Hello!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMF

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

been lurking for a while so it's about time i signed up :) I'm a now knackered ex groundworker, worked on everything from structural works to finishing now out of it due to boring medical stuff. Last couple of years i have been working towards multi trading for my own interests and one of the areas i'm currently looking at is woodwork. Got an interest in it right from the site based carpentry side to furniture making.

As i'm used to power tools i've been spending some cash there first and have some saws, sanders, routers etc and have made a few things so far but next on the list is some hand tools, there has been much reading lately about how to sharpen many types of sharp things so i have some catching up to do! I'll probably be over in the hand tools bit first but i reserve the right to ask daft questions anywhere :)

Thanks for this forum for the help so far and if i can say something useful myself i'll give it a go!

Dean

Welcome Dean, you've joined a great bunch, with vast experiences (my self excluded, I'm a begginer) ask away, your questions will never be stupid.

Gary

Thank you both, have to say one of the things i am impressed with after reading back on the forum is the both the the types of projects the new guys are taking on and the response / good advice that has been given to them, you can't help but get a good impression of the place!

Edit: how do i get a Chelsea logo spinning around?!

Welcome to the forum

Yep I've found everyone really friendly and always willing to offer advice, especially to those knew to hobby/trade

Remember no question is to daft!! I should know, I've asked many :)

Cheers
John

Thanks John, it's good to hear others owning up to it, hopefully the more we all ask the more people will feel comfortable with it and have a go themselves!

Welcome Dean

Remember to check out what other members have for sale, you can pick up some bargains, I have!

Stew

Welcome aboard Dean.

There's a wealth of knowledge available here, freely offered if asked with most members willing to go out of their way to help if possible.
The only bit of advice I'd give is this: Before you ask a question (stupid or not), do a quick search as it's probably been asked by someone else already. :)

Bob
Oh, and PLEASE don't ask "what is the best method of sharpening" (hammer)

Thanks Stew, and yes another source of temptation! Cheers Bob and don't worry, i've read plenty to make my mind up about that and i've had a go on the search function as well so will be checking :D

Good lad Dean, it's a great forum. I'm fairly new myself and have enjoyed it all so far....a great bunch!

Thanks guys and yes when i get going the projects bit will see some project threads from me, i might not have the opportunity to work with someone experienced and learn as i did on site with groundworks but that section of the forum provides a platform for feedback and critique from you lot and i'm looking forward to that, after a visit to the design department first of course :wink:

Welcome

I've found people really friendly and always willing to offer free advice, especially to those with experience

Cheers
Gary

Thanks Gary, John behave yourself lol! I'll get a bad name before i start! Will be cheap and basic though for now and that's perfect for me!

Hi Dean,

Welcome to the forum!! I am only involved in wood spinning on my lathe, but find the vast majority on here to be very friendly and willing to advise :D :D , give critical comments where necessary :shock: :shock: and praise when it is due =D> =D> .

Hope you enjoy the forum as much as I have over the past couple of years (hammer) (hammer)

Thanks Mike, will have to get a lathe at some point, i've always thought more for spindle turning etc first but then i keep looking at the work over there and some of the challenges and then there's all those lovely new chisel handles being made at the moment, so tempting :lol:

Hello Everyone
Thank You for allowing me to join your forum, like most people I have been watching for sometime Lots of skilled people on here.
I am a Metal Man really, Welding qualifications, but since retirement I have been helping a young carpenter/joiner, he has just moved to new premises,he has a Startrite arbour saw and a Saw/Planer both 3phase, [There is no 3 phase in his new workshop].
He has his eye on a couple of 3.7K.W 3000 R.P.M 240 Volt Single phase motors to run his saws ,Would these motors be suitable ???????? We have looked into Converters/Inverters and installing 3 Phase into the new workshops but its too expensive just now, [All the money is going into new buildings]
Thank You All in advance for any thoughts/ ideas you have.
All the Best
desmo

Back