Hello from sodden Sussex

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 40558

Reaction score
Hi all. I've popped on to the forums at various times over the years without being a member, but thought now was a good time to join. Not 100% sure why tbh, although it's probably to do with the sense of community with people who just like to make things. I've been on instagram for a few years and have come to the conclusion that the best thing about it is the small but helpful and supportive community of woodworkers I've found on there.
I'm from Australia (Melbourne to be precise) but have lived in the UK on-and-off for the past 20 years. My wife and I settled in Brighton at the end of 2019 and I picked up the keys to my new workshop near Lewes a month before lockdown. Luckily we were already anticipating a quiet year due to the move!
Anyway, I make cabinets and furniture, and a bit of interior joinery (keeping weather and rain out is a special kind of witchcraft that I am not capable of so we don't touch exterior joinery!). I love making stuff and know that there is still more to learn, hence joining the forum. And hopefully I may be able to help someone on here on occasion.
Looking forward to slowly making your acquaintances as we go.
Cheers, Mike

Hi Welcome and know that area quite well as used to spend far too much time on the Boats out of Newhaven plus fished beaches around the plus B marina/hove.
And east to Seaford.

Hi Welcome and know that area quite well as used to spend far too much time on the Boats out of Newhaven plus fished beaches around the plus B marina/hove.
And east to Seaford.
Thanks mate. Much appreciated. I hope your fishing exploits around here were more successful than mine! But it's a great place to live regardless. Just bracing myself now for a sea swim this morning.

Thanks mate. Much appreciated. I hope your fishing exploits around here were more successful than mine! But it's a great place to live regardless. Just bracing myself now for a sea swim this morning.
Was going marina tonight but closed!

Seafords mixed! but eastbourne langney point had sole to 2lb and hove had decent sole and plaice
you go beach fishing?

Was going marina tonight but closed!

Seafords mixed! but eastbourne langney point had sole to 2lb and hove had decent sole and plaice
you go beach fishing?
Nah not here. Did a bit up the east coast of Oz before we moved back 6 years ago. Went out from the marina on a charter with my bro this summer when he was visiting (he is fishing mad) - not much luck and a pretty surly, unhelpful skipper that encouraged us to spend waaay too much on bait with his buddy (3/4 of it went in the sea on the way back to the marina). Anyway, I'll probs just stick to swimming down here.

Welome too, from Barnham, West Suusex. Have a very good solictor (which is getting rare in England) from Oz in Brighton, her husband is also from Oz. Must have the potential for an aussie club thereabouts!

Welome too, from Barnham, West Suusex. Have a very good solictor (which is getting rare in England) from Oz in Brighton, her husband is also from Oz. Must have the potential for an aussie club thereabouts!
Thanks for the welcome! Apparently there are lots of Aussies in Brighton but I've not met any in my 3 years here! Hopefully your solicitor was as happy about the football result today as I was!

Back