Hello everyone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

As a new member to this friendly looking forum I thought I'd better introduce myself.

I'm an enthusiastic reader of woodworking magazines and books, purchaser of tools and occasional user of same.

The wood bug bit a few years ago when I signed up for an evening course that taught me tenon and mortice joints and how to make a bench hook. From there I made a coffee table (badly) and a reasonable mdf wine rack lipped with beach incorporating a dovetailed drawer. Things went downhill as I regressed to producing very sloppy joints in badly prepared timber.

I found myself unable to plane accurately, paring was almost impossible and any project I attempted was a crushing disappointment.

I reasoned my main failings lay in poorly sharpened tools and enroled in Mr Charlesworth's tool prep week - the first 2 thou shaving with my 5.1/2 Stanley brought me close to tears :oops:

I'm now the owner of one good plane (with a 4 and 7 waiting for attention) and a set of razor sharp bevel edged 2Cherry's, along with an EB Bandsaw (broken), a Perform Disk Sander and a cheap Pillar Drill.

My most successful project todate was a bandsawn box and I've just started on some winding sticks.

I'm not allowed to buy any more tools until I've made some stuff.

That's the long winded intro over, plenty of questions are bound to follow :lol:

Sean G

Hi Sean , welcome to the forum , Have i told you about the Legacy ? :lol:

SeanG":2d2rntqt said:
Hi,

As a new member to this friendly looking forum I thought I'd better introduce myself.

I'm an enthusiastic reader of woodworking magazines and books, purchaser of tools and occasional user of same.

The wood bug bit a few years ago when I signed up for an evening course that taught me tenon and mortice joints and how to make a bench hook. From there I made a coffee table (badly) and a reasonable mdf wine rack lipped with beach incorporating a dovetailed drawer. Things went downhill as I regressed to producing very sloppy joints in badly prepared timber.

I found myself unable to plane accurately, paring was almost impossible and any project I attempted was a crushing disappointment.

I reasoned my main failings lay in poorly sharpened tools and enroled in Mr Charlesworth's tool prep week - the first 2 thou shaving with my 5.1/2 Stanley brought me close to tears :oops:

I'm now the owner of one good plane (with a 4 and 7 waiting for attention) and a set of razor sharp bevel edged 2Cherry's, along with an EB Bandsaw (broken), a Perform Disk Sander and a cheap Pillar Drill.

My most successful project todate was a bandsawn box and I've just started on some winding sticks.

That's the long winded intro over, plenty of questions are bound to follow :lol:

Sean G

Hi Sean, Welcome to the slope
We've all been there and done it :lol:

Thats easy to get round, start a project especially for her, then tell you can't finnish it with out buying a new......... get the drift?

anyway you like us are definitely on the down hill slope from now on. :lol:

SeanG":2w7om4o9 said:
Sean G

....a lesser man would have given up at that point.

Welcome Sean, to you and your perseverance (it'll stand you in good stead in this neck of the woods :wink:)

Mark

Welcome aboard, Sean.

SeanG":ywz9sktl said:
Methinks you'll blend in with the natives with no trouble :wink:

Cheers, Alf

SeanG":2iquvfua said:
Hi Sean and welcome to mayhem! You should adopt that comment as a mantra - my missus has! :wink:

Scrit

I reasoned my main failings lay in poorly sharpened tools and enroled in Mr Charlesworth's tool prep week - the first 2 thou shaving with my 5.1/2 Stanley brought me close to tears

OK Sean, please tell the world what you said to John when he produced a 2 thou shaving. Or was it Roland who said it?

Sean the Amateur

Dedee, I'll take some tonight an pop them in the projects forum.

Sean the Amateur, It was either Roland or has faded beyond my memory event horizon, if you can remember - tell away!

Back