Height gauge - verdict, do you have one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lathe User

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Just a thought, does anyone own a height gauge - mfr Verdict. Mine is missing the arm/ scriber.
A common occurrence, I am told.
Does anyone have one they could send me a picture of or better still some rough measurements?
Its the really heavy cast type with the large thimble/ micrometer mounted on top and you hang the arm at the appropriate level.
thank you for reading this.

@Spectric The OP is talking about a vernier height gauge. Used in metalworking to scribe lines onto a piece of metal held vertically. It can also be used to measure the height of parts hole positions etc.

Hi
Just a thought, does anyone own a height gauge - mfr Verdict. Mine is missing the arm/ scriber.
A common occurrence, I am told.
Does anyone have one they could send me a picture of or better still some rough measurements?
Its the really heavy cast type with the large thimble/ micrometer mounted on top and you hang the arm at the appropriate level.
thank you for reading this.

What you describe sounds to me like a Height Master. Ours was primarily use for calibration. I've never seen a scribe made for one as at most we would slip a 0.500 gauge block between the stack when using it for calibration of inside micrometers etc. When we did use it for measurement we took our readings using a test indicator on a less accurate height gauge, vernier or other, and then slid to the height master and rotated the thimble on top until the indicator was at zero, then got the dimension from the thimble.

https://www.greatgages.com/collections/height-masters
Pete

What you describe sounds to me like a Height Master. Ours was primarily use for calibration. I've never seen a scribe made for one as at most we would slip a 0.500 gauge block between the stack when using it for calibration of inside micrometers etc. When we did use it for measurement we took our readings using a test indicator on a less accurate height gauge, vernier or other, and then slid to the height master and rotated the thimble on top until the indicator was at zero, then got the dimension from the thimble.

Pete
Hi Pete
Very informative, thank you.
Yes, the height masters have a similar set up but the difference is in the vertical shaft which is a simple series of thin complete rings within the main body.
Checkout Verdict Height Micrometer Gauge 12" Range Lab Grade Imperial | eBay
Or just type verdict height gauge into eBay. There’s a couple on offer.

I may have the odd moment of memory failure these days but I definitely remember seeing a complete gauge a few years back. Not found anything on the web so far and Verdict are rebuilding their site 🙄

You can just buy them, they need to be hardened. Here is one, but there are loads if you google
Hi
Thank you, not a site I have come across, looks useful. unfortunately it’s not the simple form of height gauge. I know I said scriber but I think it’s more of a indicator arm. Exactly how it sits on the rings and how much it extend from the main body are the challenges
https://www.cutwel.co.uk/7150-sc9-s...xiYvN57cC3JIhZ7l_6idab7Mp9O0KUuIaAlJBEALw_wcB

Pete

I know I said scriber but I think it’s more of a indicator arm. Exactly how it sits on the rings and how much it extend from the main body are the challenges

Please have a look at:

Complete Guide to Height Gauges [ Vernier, Digital, Electronic, How to Use ]

I suspect what you are recollecting are the attachments shown in the line drawings adjacent the picture of the Mitutoyo 515.

You can find them also on Mitutoyo's own website listed as accessories (auxiliary block kit) for the 515-series:

https://shop.mitutoyo.co.uk/web/mit...catalogue/mitutoyoData/PG/515_KIT/index.xhtml
As you say, they are not scribers but are used for setting internal bore gauges.

Here's a poor mans version
Tramming table.png

Tramming vise.png
SAM_5037.JPG

Last edited:
Are you sure it uses an arm as you describe?
Ive never seen one of this type in the flesh, but all the pictures I’ve seen do not show an arm.
The arm most people have described as being available is for a completely different style of gauge

Is this your model?
I think it’s used for calibration as apposed to being used as a marking gauge

Last edited:
That’s details of the Mitutoyo model….they don’t use an arm

Given that the link I posted above is from Mitutoyo's own website and they, themselves, call the product an accessory for the heightmaster, I think you are mistaken.

The OP has acknowledged that his first description as a scriber may be misleading. I quote his words in case you missed them: "I know I said scriber but I think it’s more of a indicator arm. Exactly how it sits on the rings and how much it extend from the main body are the challenges".

I've just sold one of these - mine was the frenco version with a mechanical readout to give your .001 reading in a little window. Very nicely made tool. I don't have a close up of the piece you need but you can see it in these pictures. It's a horseshoe shape that pushes into the grooves, with an arm that sticks out. Pretty simple part. I still have the 6"riser block if you need one as well.

Attachments

• 20220619_140050.jpg
    20220619_140050.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220619_140047.jpg
    20220619_140047.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Hi chaps,
Looks like we might be getting somewhere. Many thanks to all of you. Yes John, that is exactly the same as mine.
Well TFrench, thank you for coming to my rescue, I was sure I had seen something like you described in a picture somewhere years ago. The question now is how best to fabricate one?
I always tend to over complicate my ideas, when simple is best. That’s why looking at someone else’s idea s is a good starting point.
“Push on” would that be the same as slip on ie just a nice close fit - not a spring holding push fit?
Was the attachment in two parts?
How far out would you say it extended?

Latest posts

Back