Hegner Scroll saw, big problem, need advise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChrisR":31md206i said:
It goes without saying, that Hegner is not the only quality scroll saw on the market.
Chris R.
That is not the impression you would get from reading numerous other posts on UKW. What other makes do you have in mind ?

Darth, you've probably already done it, but check the motor is set up correctly. It makes a hell of a difference both to vibration and noise, or at least it did on mine. I ended up with one bolt not as tight as the rest to get it just right.

THanks ChrisR I think I will give up on the idea of a eBay bargain then, and save up the extra £200ish and get one from the factory. If I don't get one from a trusted scource, like a member on here.
I only know of the Excalibur range which might be considered on a par with Hegner are there others that are available in the UK ? American web sites are 'full' of adverts, but I guess the VAT and Import duty would make that too expensive.

I can't help with the problem with your Hegner, I don't own one I have never seen one let alone use one and I don't aspire to one as scrolling is only a small part of my hobby.
I own 2 of these:-

Sealey SM44.jpg

My original one runs like a sewing machine and is a pleasure to use and is not fixed down as it goes under the bench when not in use.
I was looking for another saw of the same type and purchased one near to home for £15 on ebay. The thing is a beast and is more like a wacker plate in use and moves around the bench on it's own but due to the fact that on the face of it they are identical from the same factory this has to be a fixable problem but I have yet to find the cause.

Attachments

• Sealey SM44.jpg
    Sealey SM44.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 816
Grahamshed":etmby5lc said:
ChrisR":etmby5lc said:
It goes without saying, that Hegner is not the only quality scroll saw on the market.
Chris R.
That is not the impression you would get from reading numerous other posts on UKW. What other makes do you have in mind ?

I personally don’t have any experience of any other scroll saws, as I only had a hand fret saw from the age of eight years old to fifty nine, when I purchased a Hegner, that is now nearly twelve years ago, it serves me very well, so I have no need to look any further.
But I am sure there must be other quality scroll saws out there.

Take care.

Chris R.

It looks like Darth is not the only one with bent castings on a Hegner.
see Roughcuts post dated 12.10.13 [ Hegner Scroll Saw advice] I don't know how to link to it just do a search.

Geoff.

Geoffrey":1yb6kzhv said:
It looks like Darth is not the only one with bent castings on a Hegner.
see Roughcuts post dated 12.10.13 [ Hegner Scroll Saw advice] I don't know how to link to it just do a search.

Geoff.

Hi Geoff

To post a link, you copy the URL from the top of your internet browser.

With your mouse, right click the area where it currently says http://www.ukwork................ and select "COPY"

Now in your reply you will see the URL , click this button ... now you can either right click and paste, or press CTRL & V buttons together, it will the paste the link you copied inbetween the URL markers.

Sorry to original OP, but wanted to help a forum member out.

By the way Darth those rebuilds are awesome work.... I would love to have your set skills....

I was not going to post on this tread again.

But to alleviate some of your concerns, I am certain that this saw did not leave the Hanger factory in that condition, if the saw is as bad as trying to be indicated then it has had a chequered past, its as simple as that.
I am not sure what the thread originator is trying to prove.

If you purchase a new Hegner you have zero risk of being stuck with a defective machine, because on the off chance that a defective saw did leave the factory. Then Hegner or their appointed dealer would replace it without question.
If you are purchasing second hand then ideally you need to inspect before you purchase, or have a return agreement in place.
Or purchase from a trusted source.

If you do obtain a Hegner in the future new or secondhand, I am sure you will be very pleased with its performance, having said that, It goes without saying, that Hegner is not the only quality scroll saw on the market.

Take care,

Chris R.[/quote] I was not going to post on this thread but to add that in my opinion that Chris R. is right with his comments and also the person who put the post on has NOT,I repeat has NOT made a satisfactory apology for the remarks that he made. Bryan

ChrisR":1emjzj7f said:
woodndrum":1emjzj7f said:
Hi, setting aside some of the heated and perhaps misinformed comment, thanks for the pictures. Afraid I had some difficulty understanding or appreciating the problem. The pictures clearly show this. As I am currently searching the market for a second hand Hegner I would like to try and understand how you are able to fix the problem (if it's possible) Buying an item second hand at long distance like this almost always involves a level of trust. I'm sorry to think that you have been let down, and secondly am concerned that I may be duped in the same way. Thanks, Keith

Keith.

I was not going to post on this tread again.

But to alleviate some of your concerns, I am certain that this saw did not leave the Hanger factory in that condition, if the saw is as bad as trying to be indicated then it has had a chequered past, its as simple as that.
I am not sure what the thread originator is trying to prove.

If you purchase a new Hegner you have zero risk of being stuck with a defective machine, because on the off chance that a defective saw did leave the factory. Then Hegner or their appointed dealer would replace it without question.
If you are purchasing second hand then ideally you need to inspect before you purchase, or have a return agreement in place.
Or purchase from a trusted source.

If you do obtain a Hegner in the future new or secondhand, I am sure you will be very pleased with its performance, having said that, It goes without saying, that Hegner is not the only quality scroll saw on the market.

Take care,

Chris R.

I have to agree with all of the above, it beggars belief that the saw in question was sent from the factory with bent arms or pivots and I find it inconceivable that anyone who bought it would be happy to accept such a defective machine! Which surely indicates that it must have been damaged in such a way after leaving Hegner.

As far as Hegner being the best saws on the market goes I can only say that if there is a better (or even as good) saw available I don't know of one, I have 3 scroll saws inc a Hegner and IMHO the Hegner is just streets ahead in terms of quality and user satisfaction, I can't speak for others but every time I use the Hegner it gives a sort of feel good factor and you just get that feeling that you are using the best!

I probably sound like a Hegner fanboy but I actually also like my British made diamond fretsaw, however even though it is well engineered and oozes quality it does not give that feel good factor that the Hegner gives.

I really do wish that some company would produce a quality machine to offer a comparable alternative as I do think Hegners are way over-priced and the amount they charge for spare parts is in some cases almost 'criminal'! (for example a simple on off rocker switch that costs less than £1 from many electronics suppliers they wanted over £24 for!)

If another top quality machine were available it might help to bring the high prices that Hegner charges for their machines down a little. Axminster do offer some saws that on first glance look almost identical to the Hegner apart from the colour, I have not tried them but I am sure I have read somewhere in this forum that they just don't come near to a Hegner?

This might seem like an obvious suggestion, but have you tried contacting the person you bought the Hegner from, to ask how it got to be in that condition?

Jimi.

Back