Heatwave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With respect - completely bonkers IMHO. One may equally well apply the same penalties to all who in the last 30 years have (a) taken a flight, (b) owned a car, (c) fired up a gas CH boiler, (d) eaten airfreighted veg, (e) had a BBQ. Not a soul would be left unpunished.

The objective is to change future behaviours, not penalise past actions which are irretrievable.
I think we would be able to cover the cost of mitigating CC for a lot less than the $55K billion the fossil fuel industry alone has made over the last century and a half. And yes that is how much they have made in profit. People who bought their products like petrol etc were for the most part totally unaware of the harm being caused until evidence started to mount and be publically available in the late 70's. The producers were totally aware as their own research which they accepted as correct in the 50's told them. They just buried it for profit.

The general populace in the 50's would not have been so eager to buy those products , if they had been fully aware of the damage/harm they would cause to their children such as turning them into living Barbie and Ken dolls full of micro plastic, skewing and damaging the normal chemical/hormonal state of the body causing lower and lower sperm counts and dysmorphia leading to damaged DNA. Material that off gasses poisonous VOCs promoted as the perfect thing to line the interior of you home so that it gradually causes both physical and mental disorders, but hey look at all the pretty colours you can now have.

A lot of serious businesses are simply jumping on the band wagon. just the same as a lot of serious businesses are simply jumping on the LGBGT band wagon, there you go simple English

This planet has burned and frozen millions of times over it's existence, there is nothing you or anyone else can do to stop it doing it again when ever it wants to no matter how many "big " businesses get involved,
I was going to use the simple English word Twaddle but I see that it’s bigoted Twaddle as well. 🤪

It's my guess climate change is a bit like driving so turning the steering wheel a bit and you can end up going off road, it happens. To stop climate change and possibly try to get back tolerable weather patterns you would have to stop emitting greenhouse gases altogether and then wait a long long time before it could start to slow down and stop it's current course of heating up.... but ... I don't think it's likely as getting hotter will mean more ice becomes water, you would have to wait for a period of freezing, the opposite of the heating up to re-establish an acceptable climate for humans. In the end it could be a bit like a Netflix disaster movie where some start to try to get rid of other people that want money at the cost of environmental welfare.

It's my guess climate change is a bit like driving so turning the steering wheel a bit and you can end up going off road, it happens. To stop climate change and possibly try to get back tolerable weather patterns you would have to stop emitting greenhouse gases altogether and then wait a long long time before it could start to slow down and stop it's current course of heating up.... but ... I don't think it's likely as getting hotter will mean more ice becomes water, you would have to wait for a period of freezing, the opposite of the heating up to re-establish an acceptable climate for humans. In the end it could be a bit like a Netflix disaster movie where some start to try to get rid of other people that want money at the cost of environmental welfare.
And like driving if you want to change lane it is easy to avoid something in the road ahead by turning the steering wheel slightly when you first see it. If you you wait to make sure it will damage the the car before taking action the steering will be more severe.

I think we would be able to cover the cost of mitigating CC for a lot less than the $55K billion the fossil fuel industry alone has made over the last century and a half.
I am not defending the fuel companies, nor denying impacts associated with climate change. We are profligate in our use of fossil fuels which are far too cheap.

Even had the risks been fully understood and communicated it may have made limited difference. Fossil fuels for electricity generation, transport and materials technology have enabled better food production, light, heat, advances in medicine, clean water, waste treatment, consumer durables (although not durable enough), clothing, etc etc.

Even if the risks and consequences been known, it may have been regarded as a sensible use of resources. Without fossil fuels mankind would never have progressed from relative poverty of the rural 18th century . Technology means we now have an opportunity for an alternative future.

Last edited:
I think we would be able to cover the cost of mitigating CC for a lot less than the $55K billion the fossil fuel industry alone has made over the last century and a half. And yes that is how much they have made in profit. People who bought their products like petrol etc were for the most part totally unaware of the harm being caused until evidence started to mount and be publically available in the late 70's. The producers were totally aware as their own research which they accepted as correct in the 50's told them. They just buried it for profit.

The general populace in the 50's would not have been so eager to buy those products , ifully aware of the damage/harm they would cause to their children such as turning them into living Barbie and Ken dolls full of micro plastic, skewing and damaging the normal chemical/hormonal state of the body causing lower and lower sperm counts and dysmorphia leading to damaged DNA. Material that off gasses poisonous VOCs promoted as the perfect thing to line the interior of you home so that it gradually causes both physical and mental disorders, but hey look at all the pretty colours you can now have.

You had all better give you pensions back over the past 50years!!

I think the proposition is that those who received their pension during the last 50 years should repay it. Could be one year or 49 etc years.
Strikes me as a fairly stupid proposition. Most people didn't get much say in how their pension was invested. Indeed, as Phil P. has pointed out elsewhere, state pension contributions have merely gone to pay the current crop of recipients. The big oil companies, on the other hand, are as guilty as the tobacco industry, in that they knew the score, but suppressed information. Not really a valid comparison in my opinion.

I wasn't seriously saying that we should repay pensions just the point that oil companies profits pay our pensions. So we are somewhat complicit in the pollution, not to mention the cars we have brought over past decades...

..... Technology means we now have an opportunity for an alternative future.
but technology (wasted) is the cause of the problems and offer no solutions to rising sea levels, extreme weather events, fires, floods, droughts, disruption of supply lines, or any of the CC issues impacting on people now.
Over dependance on technology also makes us especially vulnerable to technological failure at so many levels, from communications to nuclear power. "Technological" solutions could be the trap which finishes us all off quickly!

Last edited:

The general populace in the 50's would not have been so eager to buy those products , if they had been fully aware of the damage/harm they would cause to their children such as turning them into living Barbie and Ken dolls full of micro plastic, skewing and damaging the normal chemical/hormonal state of the body causing lower and lower sperm counts and dysmorphia leading to damaged DNA. Material that off gasses poisonous VOCs promoted as the perfect thing to line the interior of you home so that it gradually causes both physical and mental disorders, but hey look at all the pretty colours you can now have.
Add to that all the wars over the years, especially of C18 ,C19, & present Century # nuuclear testing , burning oil wells just for starters. :mad:

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...inction-scientists-global-heating-catastrophe
Yup. Looks like we up sh*t creek without a paddle. Good job the globe is heavily populated - at least a few should survive and carry our species forwards. Or backwards, depending on your point of view.
Might start pencilling in some contingency plans. Any suggestions?
PS this just popped up Welcome! You are invited to join a meeting: National Emergency Zoom Meeting . After registering, you will receive a confirmation email about joining the meeting.

Last edited:
Back in the late '50's / early '60's there was a film "The Day The Earth Caught Fire" (Peter Finch & Janet Munro) which now looks like a very accurate prediction!

Latest posts

Back