Health and Safety

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the last couple of years I've become more conscious of safety and have developed a genuine interest in most safety related topics. I will always advocate the preaching and teaching of safe practice, as much as my limited knowledge allows. Hopefully, the more the topic is discussed the more information will trickle down into people's operating habits.
Much like the current driving test, if the initial standards are set high in order to pass the test the "residual" mindset after passing the test will, even if 50% of instruction has been cast aside through complacency, still result in a person becoming a safe and competent driver.
If you see what I mean....

Rgds

Noel

Never mind where the tool goes if you slip - touch of blood and a plaster and you're up and running again...

More importantly....- where does the wood, you are working on go if you slip?

Us boys have delicate areas at bench height. :shock:

Adam :lol:

As a professional 'safety person' I find this thread interesting to say the least.

I've had the misfortune to investigate a number of fairly serious accidents involving woodworking activities, - every single one of them involved an 'experienced' woodworker!! The old saying of familiarity breeds contempt does ring true.

Many of them would have been prevented (or at least been less serious) if the right guards had been in place.

Guards are (or can be) a right royal pain but they're there for a reason and anybody who thinks human flesh and high speed rotating steel are compatible better look out!

Don't teach woodworking and H&S separately, - teach the right way to do things which includes H&S.

Can someone tell me how to do those blue ‘Rocker says’ quotes?

I agree with Stuartpaul that it is best to tackle H&S at the same time as any practical advice. That’s why I think it’s so important that anything posted here can be ‘corrected’ – people can ‘learn’ bad practice as easily (more so if it’s perceived as a short cut) as good practice. Why mix the two up? I agree with most of what Andy says but am concerned that if you publish photos of bad practice, even if you give better, safer, alternatives the seeds have been sown. They say a picture speaks a thousand words so you’d need a lot of text to undermine the credibility given by a photo. Surely better to reject the article until it meets acceptable standards? In one magazine someone picked up on a student working in a professional workshop bare-foot. The writer said it was personal choice. Personally, if it was my workshop I’d have pulled rank and said wear shoes or go elsewhere – apart from the mess I have a lot of paperwork to do even for a minor cut! As an ‘employer’ (this includes being responsible for volunteers or students etc. regardless of whether you pay them) you have a duty to ensure people are safe in your workshop under Health and Safety legislation. We’ve come a long way since young (and old) people were routinely maimed or killed in industrial machinery. Why is it OK to let people do injury to themselves just because it’s their hobby or it’s their ‘right’? People have the right to drink, but not drink and drive. What’s the difference in ‘allowing’ them to use machinery, but not in a dangerous way?

[Hi Alf, sorry it’s taken a while to get back – I’m afraid ‘Rocker’ has more to do with Led Zeppelin (industrial ear-protectors worn at all times – NOT) than chairs. I once had a pair of Ash drumsticks turned for me on a pole lathe for a folk jam around a campfire but that’s another story… 8) ]

Mike

Rocker":238qthvs said:
Can someone tell me how to do those blue ‘Rocker says’ quotes?

Top right of every post is a "quote" button.

Althought it does allow you to make up fictious quotes if you want :wink:

Rocker":238qthvs said:
I like heavy metal. :shock:

J

Thanks J

I missed that one.

J":3as5yim2 said:
although it does allow you to make up fictious quotes if you want :wink:

Rocker":3as5yim2 said:
I like heavy metal. :shock:

This I can't deny though I would say Heavy Rock rather than metal - being a wood site an' all: Natural, solid (mostly) but with a grain that can twist, turn and interlock rather than the more industrial thwang of bulk, featureless steel. I did enjoy The Darkness last night on the Brits - I think Justin Out-Freedied Freedy Mercury - but more because they've brought some fun back into the drab rockscape that had become Oasis and Coldplay.

Still, getting back to the point, remember that if you have Stairway to Heaven playing on the radio at No. 11, extra care must be taken to ensure you are aware of which machine(s) are running - just because you can't hear it, doesn't mean the blade isn't running...

Regards

Mike

Rocker":17ngnm23 said:
remember that if you have Stairway to Heaven playing on the radio at No. 11

Definite Spinal Tap moment there :D Now they were good :shock:
I saw them live at the Royal Albert Hall, back in 1991 or 2, totally over the top but superbly done 8)

Back