Backing for a mirror in a cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm converting my plain square wall mirror (600mmx600mm) into a cabinet.
The mirror will become two doors (300mm x 600mm) - i've already split the mirror into two, and they will be placed in a 6mm groove in a door frame ('shaker' style cabinet door). For safety, I'd like to back the mirror, so that if it breaks, it won't create dangerous shards.

Whatever I back it with needs to be non-reactive with the mirror foil, i.e. I can't use just any adhesive.

I thought it would be easy to find a mirror-safe backing film, but it seems I can't.

Can anyone help, or have alternative suggestions?
I'm also considering using 2 or 3mm plywood, stuck onto the mirror using mirror-safe adhesive.
ideas and thoughts welcome

thanks!

One little tip - the mirror will reflect the back of the groove at the edge, which will show up if a different colour from the frame. So if you paint your frame, also paint inside the groove, before you fit the mirror.
I noticed this when I painted white a frame with a mirror. The dark line of the old colour shows around the edge. Not that it matters particularly!

Mirror safety backing film is very easy to obtain a google search shows lots of options including Amazon Mirror Safety Backing Film 500mm x 100mts : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Thanks.
The issue is that a 50m roll is such overkill - and costly. I need less than 1m2.
Lots of glass safety film doesn't say it's suitable for mirrors, i.e. the adhesive may damage the foil.
I've just had a thought - I might glue some of that corrugated plastic onto it... the stuff laid down to protect floors. I can paint it the same colour as the cabinet too...

Latest posts

Back