Health and Safety

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I injured my thumb a few years ago using a table saw unguarded. Stitched and healed now and working fine. Last year I came to cut some tenons and thought I would try using the table saw. I removed the guard and cut one. Memories of pain and blood cut short this activity and I refitted the safety gear!

In the end I made a simple jig for the router from a base of 9mm ply, sides from Ash and a top from more ply. The piece is held in with a spring clamp and routed using a 12mm bit and a bush. A stop means that all the tenons are cut the same.

jig2.jpg

It works for me.

Bob

Alf":2uolscdo said:
No! Steve should learn to write proper code :wink: :lol:

Hey! I can't be good at everything!

The code is scrounged from a thousand different sources, and I don't understand how it works, I just know that if I substitute my file names it works on my PC. I've known about the Firefox problem for a long time, but it's such a low priority, and quite frankly such a daunting prospect (the site is quite large now) that I've never got one of those circular thingies.

Cheers
Steve

Steve, my only thought is if you're going to use the site to help promote the DVDs then is is a good idea to eliminate 20%* of the potential customer base? :? None of my business though, I know. I'll go away and take my nose with me. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

*Based on Firefox traffic to my site

Alf":2amdsft7 said:
is is a good idea to eliminate 20%* of the potential customer base?

Hi Alf

No indeed it isn't, which is why my next site will be a basic as it can be really. No fancy scrolling, no fancy graphics, just a big sign saying

Send me your money, Now!

Easier starting from scratch than trying to fix the old site, I think.

Cheers
Steve

Seaco
I, for one, would be very intersted to know what you have changed and why you have changed it. I also have a few questions.

What did you use for the cantilever weight on the top?
Why did you put the weight to the front, rather than to the back, out of the way?
What's the rigidity like?

I was looking at some industrial SUVA guards yesterday on, I think, Wadkin machines and even those were a bit wobbly, which was very reassuring really, as I'd have thought that was a weakness, but clearly it's acceptable.

Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":13v9vjtu said:
I was looking at some industrial SUVA guards yesterday on, I think, Wadkin machines and even those were a bit wobbly, which was very reassuring really, as I'd have thought that was a weakness, but clearly it's acceptable.
I have an overhead (SUVA-style) guard on my Altendorf, Steve, and of course it will move a bit if you sideswipe it, but it still remains above the blade. What you have to remember to do is reset the height on different cuts - very easy to do and can be done safely whilst the blade is spinning by just pulling down the cantilever arm.

Scrit

Steve Maskery":vzupujzm said:
Seaco
I, for one, would be very intersted to know what you have changed and why you have changed it. I also have a few questions.

What did you use for the cantilever weight on the top?
Why did you put the weight to the front, rather than to the back, out of the way?
What's the rigidity like?

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

That isn't a cantilever weight just a handle to raise and lower, the friction of the bolts hold it in any position very well.

Due to the triangular structure it's very stable.

As you can see from my first attempt above, this is alot more practical for every day use...

STA70576Large.jpg

STA70574Large.jpg

Just undo the wingnuts on the two bolts...

STA70573Large.jpg

And it just swings out of the way...

STA70572Large.jpg

Just a bit of painting on the joints and it's done.

I have made a temporary jig for my tenon joining and started up my router for a test run, excellent and I say again excellent joint.
Now to make a proper jig, I feel much safer now until I noticed blood on my glasses.
It was just a nick on my finger and had wiped it on my glasses and not noticed.
I am pleased with all the help I got from fellow carpenters, even if I am not one, I feel that I am one of you.

Back