hazel goblet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefella83

Established Member
Reaction score
Picture027.jpg
et.com/albums/j214/treefella83/Picture026.jpg[/IMG]
natural edged hazel joblet[/img]

Nice Goblet, how did you come by such a useful diameter piece of Hazel?
Was it fully dry when you turned it?

I'm waiting to see you turn this one :lol:

(By the way, you can edit your post rather than resubmit.
You can even delete duplicate entries as long as nobody has replied to the thread. no doubt Mods will tidy it up for you. )

TF83,

Well done on 2 counts:

1) turning a nice piece

2) successfully postin' pics :D

Cool 8)

Regards,

Dicky Mint

cheers all
i am lucky to have a father and a brother who are both tree surgeons and run a mobile saw mill and they have a small field that is filled with tons and tons of logs fire wood ect.
the only trouble is that i live 250 miles away from them so when i go down to visit i fill the car up with goodies.
and yes the piece was turned from a green log two days ago and waiting and hoping that the rim of the goblet will warp wobble or at least turn oval in shape.
i wish the picture was better quality

oh yes aha that large lump of beech is one of four gigantic pieces that had to whiched out with this old girl.
she is about 55 years old and still going strong
Picture007.jpg
[/img]

treefella83":20ijtv7z said:
...snip...and yes the piece was turned from a green log two days ago and waiting and hoping that the rim of the goblet will warp wobble or at least turn oval in shape.

I don't think that there will be any risk of it not happening given a couple of weeks.
DSC01284.JPG

DSC01322.JPG

to be honest i do like the forms and crazy things that result in turning green wood as it dries.
i made my brother a bowl from some kiln dried robinia last year and slapped three coats of danish oil on it to finish it well me thinks it wasnt dried properly as now a year later it has the shape of a rugby ball and nearly folded in on itself.
i would like to try and recreate this and place a wooden ball inside the bowl before it closes and let the ball rattle about inside.

Hello,
Criticism on the photograpy again; no kitchen sink this time, but the overall quality could be better.
The goblet itself seems nicely crafted, but that ring under the goblet spoils the overall impresion of the piece ( for me at least ). IMO it's far to big, if not completely superfluous. It sort of seperates the top and bottom halves of the piece, rather than connecting them, like they don't want to have anything to do with each other. You have done this much better on the segmented goblet shown in your other posting.

Back