Have come across some 2"x1" Sycamore - uses?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have come across some 2"x1" Sycamore in 7ft lengths. I am pondering whether or not to buy some. No project in mind, but given that it is reasonably priced, looking for advice from more experienced woodworkers who feel this size stock might be useful.

I guess it can always be glued up / laminated, but wonder what your thoughts are with regard to flexibility of usage?

Thanks!

I like Sycamore for segmented work, gives a nice contrast when in conjunction with darker timbers, we’ll worth getting if it’s clean blemish free particularly if it’s a good price, timber always comes in eventually

Died of dutch elm 30 years ago, any concerns around contact with food even if oiled? Assume not?

Full answer, I have no idea. I didn't know that ditch elm killed anything other than elms though.

My guess would be the same as yours.

I’d use that for frames to make desks, or maybe in glazed units. I tend to look at designs that only use smaller pieces of timber due to the limitations of my machinery.

Any wany edge? Guess not on re-reading the op, any quarter sawn? I need to make an elm cross bow lath, might get away with laminating one if I can't get what I need for a self-bow

Last edited:
Whatever the use, I've found that sycamore is one of the least forgiving timbers when it comes to glue lines, so if you're laminating or jointing then your edges and/or mating faces have to be immaculately planed and clamped well or you risk an ugly line along the join.

Whatever the use, I've found that sycamore is one of the least forgiving timbers when it comes to glue lines, so if you're laminating or jointing then your edges and/or mating faces have to be immaculately planed and clamped well or you risk an ugly line along the join.

Lucky it’s elm then ;)

F.

Back