Have a look at this Jacob!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob":1ztid58u said:
I'll have a go if Peter sends me one too - one has to be open minded! I won't be buying one though. No way. :roll:

You could probably sell it for what you paid, if you didn't like it.

BugBear

Anyone not familiar with Brian's fantastic craftsmanship, should look at his website.

His words, "easier, faster and more consistent" seem to ring a bell ?

David Charlesworth

David C":tawep9xo said:
Anyone not familiar with Brian's fantastic craftsmanship, should look at his website.

His words, "easier, faster and more consistent" seem to ring a bell ?

David Charlesworth
Yes it does ring a bell. Heard it many times - it's what they all say! :lol: :lol:
Don't be taken in by it Dave.
"New + improved" is more convincing IMHO. I always buy "New + improved" things, whatever they are.

Brian Boggs":2472lmi2 said:
Not only is the tool handsomely designed, it is well thought out and works quickly. After 31 years of mastering my old way of sharpening, I find this tool to make the job easier, faster, and actually more consistent than the best I can do without it.
But it sure gets the edge in shape for that step quickly. The stropping after that is a piece of cake.

It is a challenge to stay open minded in the face of so much unneeded gadgetry pushed on us. In fact I would have missed this tool altogether had Pete not sent me one. Well done, Peter!

Is it configured so that you can use it on Sickles, Scythes and Billhooks?

I'll leave Kukris at this stage, because they keep emerging from unexpected situatios around the house and workshop - often in very dangerous hands :shock:

This is configured for axes, sickles, scythes, billhooks, kukris, draw-knives, amongst many other things.

burgon-and-ball-scythe-stone-529-p.jpg

I have just plowed through much of this thread.

When presented with an ingenious draw knife sharpening jig, the freehand mob pile in, rubbishing the idea with much glee.

Then the traditional and endlessly repeated feud breaks out for many pages.

Two professional chairmakers who actually use the tool rather more than most posters, tell us that it is useful precise and quick.

What an embarrasingly pathetic thread.

David Charlesworth

Yebbut Dave that gadget would cost twice as much as my draw knife.
Like millions of other draw knife users (very occasional on my part) I've never felt the need for sharpening gadget. It's not at all clear why anybody would want it - you still have to hone the edge (Brian Boggs says) so what's the point?
I presume you have bought one yourself? How did you sharpen them previously?

Hello,

Naysayers et al; if a device does its intended job well, but you have no use for it, that does not make the device useless. This is not the same thing as a device, or tool, which does not do its job correctly, and therefore is useless. Please differentiate between the two as it just makes people look ridiculous. It is interesting to hear the reasons why you might not need the device, but you cannot say why others should not have it, that is for them to decide, based upon the reasons contended from all points of view. We all work in different ways and to different standards, so what is useful for some may not be for others, but if the device works, you cannot condemn someone for inventing it or using it for the purpose it was designed for.

Many of us have given reasons why a honing jig might be useful, but they are always rejected and conveniently ignored when the debate rears its ugly head over and over. Like I said before, if the craftsman makes beautiful, well constructed things, why would anyone give a rats behind, how the tools were sharpened. Nor is there added merit in doing something badly, but totally freehand. It is the results that count.

Mike.

Jacob":i1xxinyy said:
Yebbut Dave that gadget would cost twice as much as my draw knife.
Like millions of other draw knife users (very occasional on my part) I've never felt the need for sharpening gadget. It's not at all clear why anybody would want it - you still have to hone the edge (Brian Boggs says) so what's the point?
I presume you have bought one yourself? How did you sharpen them previously?

I think this post gets to the kernel of the matter -- what is it about one's current method that isn't working? Somebody completely unable to work up a freehanded, serviceable edge should probably be using a spokeshave (a tamer tool) anyway. If ever there were a tool that is 'freehanded' in use then it's the drawknife. I'm pretty sure that anybody able to USE one with any deftness at all (a requirement to forestall the utter disaster and disappointment that awaits otherwise) can also put an edge on one. A drawknife is just not a tool to be put into the hands of somebody not already shop-savvy, certainly not somebody who is flummoxed by sharpening, generally.

Peter Galbert, the inventor, is indeed a fantastic chair-maker with a couple decades long history of producing great chairs. This jig is new. The question in my mind is what did he do for the last twenty years or so -- a way more interesting question and ultimately more enlightening than simply buying his new jig.

Charles,

I have watched Brian working with a draw knife, and seen how acomplished and skilled he is.

I merely pointed out that these two professional chairmakers find merit in the guide.

David Charlesworth

I don't have really an opinion about this thing, because I've never used it and probably never will. Before it lands on my doorstep, it is at least a 100 euro, with shippingcosts, 21% Vat plus importtax. For a one trick pony, that's a lot of money. I am only an occasional drawknife user, and am getting along fine with an oilsstone and a leather strop. In fact, using the wretched thing is far more adventourous then sharpening it.

David C":2cifhdf8 said:
Charles,

I have watched Brian working with a draw knife, and seen how acomplished and skilled he is.

I merely pointed out that these two professional chairmakers find merit in the guide.

David Charlesworth
Whats wrong with criticising something that is patently really totally unecessary-except perhaps for people who love to acquire lots of gadgets? And any way, how on earth DID draw knife users manage for centuries before this piece of kit was invented? So what if "professional chairmakers " find it useful, it stands to reason they would, it seems every one these days on the industry circuit has a sideline tool range of some sort to sell, either that or books, dvd's, training courses etc. I wonder if B Bogges would of paid out of his own pocket on spec based on an online advert or something. I guess its far more difficult to be negative when you get a freebie....just saying

LOL wait for it....B Boggs uses ROUNDED BEVELLS on his drawknife (at least he did so before he got this amazing gadget to do the job)

phil.p":23qkhkbd said:
:) If we spent our lives cricising things that were actually unneccessary, we'd need more than 168hrs a week.

Well, theres probaly just about enough pointless dvds, gadgets, jigs and other stuff to keep someone busy if they be so inclines. But this thread is specifically about an apparently pointless (and expensive) piece of draw knife sharpening kit with limited scope of use....which I see fit to criticise (homer)

At the risk of being repetetive, it seems odd that the part time users feel so free to criticize something which they have not even tried, while the two professionals like it.

David

Back