Have a look at this Jacob!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nicguthrie t then I learned how to pedal around fast in a hand-me-down one of these :) [attachment=0:ntx6wj6b said:
yellow_kettcar.jpg[/attachment]

Pah! Rubbish! When I've got the time I'll take and post a piccie of my new road-legal (but designed for off-road use) mobility scooter! All the bells and whistles and as it's a three-wheeler, your balance skills need to be pretty good. First time out, I took it down a local footpath, lost concentration for a few seconds and ended up in the base of a hedge with a considerable weight of machinery on top of me!!! :shock: :shock:

Good job I had my mobile in an accessible pocket 'cos otherwise I could be there still!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just use the back-doorstep. Or the front-door one if you don't mind sharpening in public. :D

And the back edge of one kitchen knife is better than a steel, when you want to liven up the edge of another knife. 8)

I knew it, I knew it. If it gets out that there's a sport of "Jacob Baiting" (hammer) , the Labour Party will ban it, or else they'll have to make the telly more interesting!
Make the telly more interesting, David Cameron has got more chance of winning the next election!

woodbrains":ux1y5e6d said:
Just seen Richard Jones' article on the subject ... it could be argued that discounting a two penny honing guide as unnecessary, when showing a picture of a blingy infill panel plane, might just be too ironic. I bet there are CNC machines in Leeds college, though. Mike.
Actually Mike, that "blingy" looking plane you noticed is a bit of a diversion. It just happened to be handy when I was looking for an iron to sharpen to serve as an illustration for the text. It's actually one of my least favoured planes in terms of usability. Sadly it's a late post Second World war Norris from just before they went out of business and it's a pretty sad tool overall and even lacks the adjuster for depth and lateral setting.

There certainly is a CNC machine in the college and its capabilities are remarkable even though it's only a three axis machine, and also considered a bit old technology nowadays because it was purchased new towards the end of the 90s. Still, the CNC machine doesn't help much at the chisel and plane iron sharpening end of the business, ha, ha. Slainte.

Hello,

That is a pity, I quite like Norris planes, though don't own one, nor ever expect to, sadly. The point really is that something that is seen as rather useful by one might be redundant for another. The thing is, woodwork is something that is seen as old fashioned, or even antediluvian by some people these days. If we do not move with the times, it will become a dead art, if it hasn't already. OK, these new jigs for sharpening spokeshaves might seem a bit OTT, but it heartens me that there is still interest enough by inventors and the end users of these devices, to keep things moving forward. There was only high carbon steel available when sharpening methods were seen merely as rubbing the tool on a bit of stone, but now we have all sorts of exotic tool steels and lots of different stones to go with them. I for one favour the progress and can take or leave the new developments as suits me and my work needs. Who'd have thought just a few years ago, that we could sharpen D2 steel plane irons on mono-crystalline diamonds set into nickel plate. It would be foolish to think that the same sharpening mantra of our grandfathers is the only thing relevant nowadays.

Mike.

Nothing against good inovations! I am very curious how the new Lee Valley toolssteel performs for example. But not everything they make is a step forwards. There are also lots of gimmicks available, with cunning marketing techniques to loosen some money from your pocket.

When talking about sharpening jigs, they replace a skill which really isn't so hard to learn, and you can only use them for a limited amount of tools. For the tools that don't fit, you need to buy new jigs. At the same time, handtool usage is all about handskills.

Before anyone accuses me of starting WW III, I don't mind what anyone uses in his/her own shop! This is just my opinion, and the logic behind it.

BTW, Lee Valley has a new jig in the pipeline. They too finally reached the conclusion that the MK2 jig is troublesome and will bring a sideclamping jig on the market. You see, my opinions aren't always nonsence.

Corneel":1a1aw5f3 said:
BTW, Lee Valley has a new jig in the pipeline. They finally reached the conclusion that the MK2 jig is troublesome and will bring a sideclamping jig on the market. You see, my opinions aren't always nonsence.

I've been advocating the benefits in many circumstances of side clamping jigs (the Eclipse has been the best implemenation till now) for years, as has DC.

BugBear

Corneel":tdefifx1 said:
BTW, Lee Valley has a new jig in the pipeline. They too finally reached the conclusion that the MK2 jig is troublesome and will bring a sideclamping jig on the market. You see, my opinions aren't always nonsence.
MK3 eh? Can't wait!
They are an interesting evolutionary phenomenon though. Jigs are invented to solve a problem which doesn't really exist. Instead they become the problem. Each new jig becomes an effort to sort out the problems of the earlier models. Where will this end?
Will they become ever more complicated and take over the universe, or will their evolution go into reverse with increasing simplicity?

Jacob":3jmgo9w5 said:
Corneel":3jmgo9w5 said:
MK3 eh? Can't wait!
They are an interesting evolutionary phenomenon though. Jigs are invented to solve a problem which doesn't really exist. Instead they become the problem. Each new jig becomes an effort to sort out the problems of the earlier models. Where will this end?
Will they become ever more complicated and take over the universe, or will their evolution go into reverse with increasing simplicity?

Allegedly its being called the Jacobnator. As you push/pull its says: I'll be back. In a Droning fashion, so-it-is. :wink:

That's just the MKIII. Wait until the MK IV arrives and I certainly won't spoil things by telling you what the MK V can do. The MK V starts getting a bit serious!
£3,000 later and you might end up with a jig that can actually sharpen both a 2 mm and a 25 mm chisel!! You'll have to wait for the MK MDCCC for the one that does gouges though.

Hello,

I thoroughly agree, that not all innovation is useful. But then there were plenty of old innovation that just didn't work, either. Look at the Stanley back catalogue for instance, there is some surprisingly useles gizmos there, made at the time when Stanley's manufacturing quality was at its best. A coinsidence; I think not. Somehow these inventions got the status of being collectible curiosities and charming olde world style. It is funny how perspective changes viewpoints. Let us keep moving things forwards, it is all part of the fun. Veritas and others should not be condemned for trying to innovate and make the quality tools that have been missing from the marketplace for so long.

Mike.

No indeed, condemnation is not right. They make some nice tools, allthough I prefer the old stuff personally. But as forum members we can give our opinion which ones are nice and which ones can be skipped. It's easy to get overwhelmed when browsing the catalogues, and starting to believe that you need it all. But you can get along with a surprisingly small kit. That's not good for the growth rate of the tool suppliers of course.

And before anyone thinks I am advocating a small toolset, I bought 6 nice early Nooitgedagt chisels today. 8)

L-N also have a new side clamping jig. Should be around before too long.

Simple honing guides are wonderfully effective.

Let no one tell you otherwise. ~;-)#

David Charlesworth

I am also one of those folks that hates to see so many unnecessary gizmos on the market, mostly targeted to take advantage of the plethora of unskilled hands that want to make furniture. I have been preaching for decades that the more we know the less we need. One of the worst impacts of this volume of gear is that it collectively takes up so much space in our browsers and fouls our attitudes such that it is easy to miss a jewel when one does come along.
I have been teaching how to sharpen drawknives for decades and have felt quite satisfied I know how to get a good edge on my knife. But when Peter contacted me to get my thoughts on his new invention, I thought it was worth a look. Having used for a couple of months, I will have to say I am impressed. Not only is the tool handsomely designed, it is well thought out and works quickly. After 31 years of mastering my old way of sharpening, I find this tool to make the job easier, faster, and actually more consistent than the best I can do without it.
I have taught hundreds of people in five countries and three languages. Quite a variety of humans. They all have the same struggles and this tool addresses then brilliantly.
Of course you don’t need it. But if you’re anything like me you’ll likely be surprised at how it can speed up an old process.
This tool does not leave a perfect edge and this is stated in the literature supplied with it. You’ll need to follow up by light honing or stropping. But it sure gets the edge in shape for that step quickly. The stropping after that is a piece of cake.

It is a challenge to stay open minded in the face of so much unneeded gadgetry pushed on us. In fact I would have missed this tool altogether had Pete not sent me one. Well done, Peter!

I'll have a go if Peter sends me one too - one has to be open minded! I won't be buying one though. No way. :roll:

Back