Has Toolstation got a production error on medium set back latches?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_20220908_123308.png
    IMG_20220908_123308.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 0
That's a bit of a pain when you want to fit a replacement.

57mm is about 2.25 inches so I suppose they have replaced it with a metric equivalent of 60mm. No problem if new but you will have to move the handle if latch can not be 3mm proud of the door. Moving the handle will leave a mark on the door unless you repaint it and 3mm proud will look strange, bodged.

You will have to take it back and get a 57mm backset.

Not sure that I fully comprehend but the backset as I understand it. is to the center of the square hole, rather than the edge, in which case 57ish would come out as about 60 ???

Depending on what is wrong with the original, would it be possible to swap the innards, if the design is the same? Failing that, or tracking down a similar latch, then its a case of starting from scratch and moving the handles.
This is point at which , what a friend used to call a 'nothing number' becomes a more protracted job.

Edit Just checked Ironmongery Direct's website Loads of 57mm backset tubular latches, also including other sizes ,but not a 60mm one that I can see. Perhaps Toolstation have cornered the market :)

Last edited:
The backset for the latch you have bought is 60mm. Your after a 57mm backset. Just buy a latch with the correct backseat, plenty of sources, just google.

Righto, be under no illusion I checked it before I was due to buy it and this is when it showed up as not suitable for any 57mm backset replacements.
Though it pains me to use them the right size product was purchased from Screwspits.

I believe that in their quest to get a cheaper alternative to the similar Smith and Locke product which has interchangeable front plates some oik made a measurement clock up.
The front plates from Toolstation of this style latch are no longer interchangeable.

It does make you wonder why (if not a mistake) they would change what has become an industry standard?

The backset for the latch you have bought is 60mm. Your after a 57mm backset. Just buy a latch with the correct backseat, plenty of sources, just google.
Alas, unfortunately I had no internet at the time so went looking to get the job done.

Not sure that I fully comprehend but the backset as I understand it. is to the center of the square hole, rather than the edge, in which case 57ish would come out as about 60 ???

Depending on what is wrong with the original, would it be possible to swap the innards, if the design is the same? Failing that, or tracking down a similar latch, then its a case of starting from scratch and moving the handles.
This is point at which , what a friend used to call a 'nothing number' becomes a more protracted job.

Edit Just checked Ironmongery Direct's website Loads of 57mm backset tubular latches, also including other sizes ,but not a 60mm one that I can see. Perhaps Toolstation have cornered the market :)
Yes, as it happens it all got worse before I made it better....
The Herbert's who dId the original fitting had pulled out the chipboard and Oak facing with the screws behind the handle roses. Left me with no alternative but bore out the holes and to make quality plywood plugs to glue in.
Only a quick (as they say)swap over job😠

That's a bit of a pain when you want to fit a replacement.

57mm is about 2.25 inches so I suppose they have replaced it with a metric equivalent of 60mm. No problem if new but you will have to move the handle if latch can not be 3mm proud of the door. Moving the handle will leave a mark on the door unless you repaint it and 3mm proud will look strange, bodged.

You will have to take it back and get a 57mm backset.
Yes, all sent to try us...😵😵😢

Cheers, Andy

Back