Has anyone made a Canoe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy

Reaction score
As the above, really. Am looking for canoe building plans, have seen some on ebay for making a cedar strip canoe, and am thinking about saving up to attend a canoe building week in the lake district.

Just wondered if anyone from this forum or anyone you know had built a canoe or even a boat before?

Cheers,

Easy

I thought of doing it but not built one yet. You want to join a forum called the song of the paddle. Lots of info there

Chippy,

Thanks for that. It's just what I was looking for.

I have now spent the last 5 hrs looking at canoe builds. My wife thinks I'm in a catatonic state. My fingers only moved to click the mouse which moves the thread on…

I have re-surfaced from the site only to find it has gone dark, and I am waaaaaay behind on all the things I was going to do today…

Ah well. I feel a new hobby coming on…. :D #-o

Once saw a TV programme on someone who built a Birch bark canoe. Wonderful to watch it being made. Very light weight too.

MIGNAL":l7ycuz8a said:
Once saw a TV programme on someone who built a Birch bark canoe. Wonderful to watch it being made. Very light weight too.

Google "Ray Mears Birch Bark Canoe"

Haven't built a canoe, but have built a few dinghies, mostly ply/epoxy composites. First stop for plans would be https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plans-kits?keys=Canoe - american site, but they are pretty good on everything to do with wooden boats. Next it would be worth looking at the designs produced by Ian Oughtred.
If you want a nice looking Canadian canoe, made with cedar strips, Robbins of Bristol sell cedar strip with a concave/ convex moulding on the edges, designed to be used with epoxy. For epoxy I would use Gurit SP106 or the West equivalent, with microfibres as the thickener. There are loads of good instructional videos on the West Systems site (which of course apply whichever brand of epoxy you use). East Coast Fibreglass Supplies are a good source for the materials you need. If you need fixings, use A4 Stainless or silicone bronze, never brass or mild steel. Anglia Stainless do both A4 and silicone bronze.
Very tempting to choose a simple plywood design as it will be easy to build, but to be honest it doesn't take a lot more skill to make a strip plank canoe that looks a whole lot better. The pre-requisite is a decent building frame - a couple of scaffold planks laid edge up, with the top edge planed flat and levelled both ways is what I use. Temporary building frames of cheap ply or mdf are fine, coat with wax to stop the glue sticking to them.

There is an American company CLC Boats who supply plans for some nice looking canoes and kayaks. A friend built one from plans from Selway. Who apparently were very good to deal with and easy to get help from.

The definitive works for kayaks and canoes are in my opinion
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... ooks%2C223 ( for kayaks )
and for canoes
http://www.amazon.com/Building-Second-E ... 1565234839
the canoe one comes with plans the kayak one comes with measurements which you need to transfer yourself to make your formers. I bought mine from the USA delivery was quick and they were at the time unavailable in the UK at a reasonable price so shop around. Additional help is available on youtube via Nick Schade`s site.
all the best
rob

Someone with more advanced search skills than me might be able to find, on t'interweb, a really funny story about a guy who, wishing to add flotation to his newly-built canoe, used expanding foam. Without reading the instructions. Indoors.

Easy":1noxlalu said:
As the above, really. Am looking for canoe building plans, have seen some on ebay for making a cedar strip canoe, and am thinking about saving up to attend a canoe building week in the lake district.

Just wondered if anyone from this forum or anyone you know had built a canoe or even a boat before?

Cheers,

Easy
See if you like my kayak made ​​of wood ?

black-swan-t69094.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7wMyYVVBiY

I want to build one too so I can do this in it...
Me in my plastic kayak !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back