Hard wax Oils

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MF1000

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Currently working on some end grain spalted beech cookie slabs ….thinking of using the Oli Natura hard wax oil as a finish. Has anyone on here any experience with it ?

Yes, I've used it. Was very happy with the result. Unfortunately I left it in the garage this winter and now it's solid.

I'll buy again if that instills confidence?

Thanks Nick

I once ‘lost’ a 2.5 litre can of Danish Oil in the same way ….so I ‘over winter’ any oils under the sink in our utility room now.

Same here, but the linseed oil was fine. Maybe its just the blended ones that suffer. November routine: fleece on tender plants, a few pots brought in from the garden, danish oil over-wintered in the house.

I've not used hard wax oil but often thought about it, interested in the outcome if you can report back. Thanks.

I've linseed that I bought decades ago. It was old when I bought it. It's still fine, even the BLO.
I have Tru Oil which is supposedly notorious for going off that's more than ten years old that's fine - I used some a couple of days ago. A very small hole in the foil and the top replaced quickly helps.
Try hard wax oil - it's so easy to use. If you visit a professional decorator's supplier you can buy test sachets.

If you want a decent and cheaper option, I use non scented mineral oil for end grain boards, make a bath for them and soak them overnight, keeping them wet, submerged if possible.
They take a few days afterwards to dry out and they will continue to seep a bit, but its only mineral oil, its non toxic - I used to buy medical grade stuff from the pharmacy which is food safe.

My Oil Natura arrived today …..did a seal coat of epoxy on the cookie slab last weekend - if I can get good weather tomorrow or Sat I’ll sand it back and do a coat with the hard wax oil. Watch this space and my other thread too

its A big 👍 fir the Oli Natura. Applied it onto my cookie cut beech slab this afternoon using a snazzy Clarke applicator

5BB0149D-575F-44F6-9082-80218C62EAA8.jpeg

766CB95D-C353-4F9B-8996-8162FC282664.jpeg

dries quite quick leaving a nice sheen finish

5CA5CEBA-4E18-45F3-9B3D-55684572F7B5.jpeg

more details in my cookie slab coffee table thread

Back