Handmade in Japan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
BBC4 10 - 10.30 tonight. Grab it on the Iplayer thing, well worth a watch.
The art of traditional sword making - quite mesmerising.
And the sharpening! 8hrs a day, 6 days a week, for a minimum 2 months :shock: Though I'm sure someone will say he's doing it wrong :roll:

Brilliant

Such humility and yet what a product!!

I'm sure the program on pottery will be of interest to some woodturners - shapes?

Phil

Every thing is a 10 year apprenticeship in Japan, even sumo wrestlers hairdressers.

Pete

nev":7objevvf said:
The art of traditional sword making - quite mesmerising.
And the sharpening! 8hrs a day, 6 days a week, for a minimum 2 months :shock: Though I'm sure someone will say he's doing it wrong :roll:

Did a bit of that last time I was there with Fujiyasu-san:

He made three taps with his hammer and the fourth time was my turn...and the sledge was heavy!

Applying the slurry to the blade of a tanto, or knife ready for the last firing to produce the distinctive 'hamon' on the blade. Very, very difficult to apply accurately. Apprentice in the background sharpening another sword.

One of the katana blades produced by Fujiyasu-san. It takes about two months to complete the sword and once the blade has been finished by the swordsmith, it goes to another craftsman who fits the handle etc and makes the scabbard or 'saya'

Note that the blade never comes into contact with the skin as any slight perspiration will cause it to tarnish. The finished sword is worth £30,000 and it's impossible under normal circumstances to export one to the UK, however we did purchase the little kozuka katana that you can see in it's magnolia sheath on the raised dais - Rob

Excellent Woodbloke, another 9.99999 years!!!

Still, I'm glade you saved £30,000, think how many woodworking tools that can now buy!!

Phil

I watched the programme too and found it fascinating, compelling and oddly relaxing. The distinctions between the skills involved was what struck me - especially when one of the brothers said that two people forging the swords would cause disagreements so he decided to become a sharpener!

Great photos Woodbloke, must have been a very memorable experience.

Best wishes

Rockford

"The Art of Japanese Life" episode 3 "Home" - which is on BBC Four now - has just had a few minutes on woodworking. Probably nothing not already covered in more detail on YouTube though.

Rockford":3i2c2xok said:
especially when one of the brothers said that two people forging the swords would cause disagreements so he decided to become a sharpener!
Lord help us if two of them had become sharpeners then !

I work with many many Japanese colleagues and none of them disagree because they all do what they are told :lol: Next to zero innovation in a huge "tech" company :( The progressive ideas come from us westerners.

Have to say, the sword work was divine

Back