Friendship vs Greed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doctor Bob":3v5qk2bv said:
Trainee neophyte":3v5qk2bv said:
I dislike vegans because they want to outlaw my way of life.

Really, I just thought they had made a choice for their own way of life. The vegans I know never preach to me, let alone suggesting my lifestyle should be outlawed. I suspect you have read too much hype.

Perhaps we should have a "Hug a Vegan" day. Be nice to them. Turn the other cheek, as it were.

RogerS":3fxyfhh4 said:
Phil Pascoe":3fxyfhh4 said:
How can you tell a vegan? .................................. You can't. They tell you. :D

I thought it was smelly feet ! Wearing all that plastic :wink:
Plastic?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SBJ":3pczw7ka said:
RogerS":3pczw7ka said:
Phil Pascoe":3pczw7ka said:
How can you tell a vegan? .................................. You can't. They tell you. :D

Plastic?

Yup..all the vegans I've ever worked with have either worn plastic shoes or equally manky trainers.

SBJ":1s1qj9w0 said:
Trainee neophyte":1s1qj9w0 said:
The vegan preaching I can certainly do without.

Guilt complex?

I've been ruminating on this today, and I think that I owe you an apology: my answer was particularly , and unnecessarily, obstreperous.

My problem with vegans (and I admit, I do have a problem with vegans) is that I don't like proselytising religions. Vegetarianism is a huge religious movement, which has the entire gamut of believers, from hard-core fundamentalist raw-foodists and animal-rights types through the wide range of virtue-signalling do-gooders, and out the other side with the C of E style token pretend believers such as "flexitarians". I think I am uncomfortable with any religious enthusiast who infers that I am immoral, murderous, violent and unworthy. It doesn't have to be vegetablists, I am much the same with any excessively preachy religion such as environmentalism for example. This would appear to be a deep-rooted insecurity on my part for which I probably need therapy. On that basis, I appear to have been taking cheap shots without justification, for which I apologise. I must try to do better (have you hugged a vegan today?)

This is me trying to turn over a new leaf - let's see how I do.

RogerS":1z9fylls said:
SBJ":1z9fylls said:
RogerS":1z9fylls said:
Phil Pascoe said:

Plastic?

Yup..all the vegans I've ever worked with have either worn plastic shoes or equally manky trainers.
Haha, your ignorance is wonderful! You do realise that your surrounded by vegans don't you? We're everywhere!

SBJ":1uuqijv4 said:
RogerS":1uuqijv4 said:

Haha, your ignorance is wonderful! You do realise that your surrounded by vegans don't you? We're everywhere!

How so ? I'm just stating a fact. Take it or leave it. Whatever.

It all depends on characteristics. Age, health and diet play a huge factor in the taste just the same as any other animal.

I find it's best slow-cooked over a few hours.

I've only ever met two vegans but they both managed to irritate me in exactly the same way. In each case, not being aware of their preferences, I offered/suggested eating something which fell outside their preferences and a martyrish voice and expression was adopted as they told me "I can't eat that."

It was the "can't" as if they were the victims of a medical condition that got my goat. "Won't" or "refuse to" would have been fine.

In any event veganism is nuts in purely physiological terms. We have evolved as omnivores and that settles it for me. I share concerns about animal welfare e.g. I think it disgusting the way some animals are kept just so that we can have cheap meat and I would gladly accept price rises if it met farm animals leading better lives but that is another issue.

Hi. Newbie here. It doesn't add much to the conversation but just to say I am a vegetarian for the past 34 years and many of my work colleagues still don't know.
A couple of my neighbours do and some of the family and that's about it. I have my reasons and I have no intention to talk about them or to preach my way of life to others. There are us quiet ones out there too!

Sonny184":1jp4awkx said:
Hi. Newbie here. It doesn't add much to the conversation but just to say I am a vegetarian for the past 34 years and many of my work colleagues still don't know.
A couple of my neighbours do and some of the family and that's about it. I have my reasons and I have no intention to talk about them or to preach my way of life to others. There are us quiet ones out there too!

I always find that vegetarians are the sensible ones, as you say.

Trainee neophyte":18dbm6o6 said:
SBJ":18dbm6o6 said:
Trainee neophyte":18dbm6o6 said:
The vegan preaching I can certainly do without.

Guilt complex?

I've been ruminating on this today, and I think that I owe you an apology: my answer was particularly , and unnecessarily, obstreperous.

My problem with vegans (and I admit, I do have a problem with vegans) is that I don't like proselytising religions. Vegetarianism is a huge religious movement, which has the entire gamut of believers, from hard-core fundamentalist raw-foodists and animal-rights types through the wide range of virtue-signalling do-gooders, and out the other side with the C of E style token pretend believers such as "flexitarians". I think I am uncomfortable with any religious enthusiast who infers that I am immoral, murderous, violent and unworthy. It doesn't have to be vegetablists, I am much the same with any excessively preachy religion such as environmentalism for example. This would appear to be a deep-rooted insecurity on my part for which I probably need therapy. On that basis, I appear to have been taking cheap shots without justification, for which I apologise. I must try to do better (have you hugged a vegan today?)

No need for an apology. Interesting that you took the time to reflect on your thoughts.

We live in an age where there is so much information available. Most people will engage with me if the subject comes up (you'd be surprised how much we talk about food), I'm only to happy to have a conversation about my behaviour and the reasons for it. However, there tends to be a few people who will be dismissive and sometimes outright rude ( and they tend to be 'older' men). Some are so scared/uninformed/socially engrained in their behaviour that they are unable to take a look at their own behaviour whilst happy to criticize others.

You get used to it, you can spot it here quite easily.

Anyway, last time I had a discussion here that moved toward the subject of veganism it got shut down, so best I bow out now!!!!

(I think there are much worse religions than us veggies by the way - not that I consider it a religion by the way!)

SBJ":1i230x5m said:
No need for an apology. Interesting that you took the time to reflect on your thoughts.

We live in an age where there is so much information available. Most people will engage with me if the subject comes up (you'd be surprised how much we talk about food), I'm only to happy to have a conversation about my behaviour and the reasons for it. However, there tends to be a few people who will be dismissive and sometimes outright rude ( and they tend to be 'older' men). Some are so scared/uninformed/socially engrained in their behaviour that they are unable to take a look at their own behaviour whilst happy to criticize others.

You get used to it, you can spot it here quite easily.

Anyway, last time I had a discussion here that moved toward the subject of veganism it got shut down, so best I bow out now!!!!

(I think there are much worse religions than us veggies by the way - not that I consider it a religion by the way!)

We will know it's a real religion when fruitarians and raw-foodists start waging jihad on each other for being blasphemous. Until that happy day,I will take a vegan over a fundamentalist every time.

Fixed your original reply for you, do you sense the irony yet?
Trainee neophyte":qxzwotkj said:

My problem with carnists (and I admit, I do have a problem with carnists) is that I don't like proselytising religions. Carnism is a huge religious movement, which has the entire gamut of believers, from hard-core fundamentalist raw-foodists and animal-farming types through the wide range of virtue-signalling do-gooders, and out the other side with the C of E style token pretend believers such as "flexitarians". I think I am uncomfortable with any religious enthusiast who infers that I am immoral, murderous, violent and unworthy. It doesn't have to be meat-eaters, I am much the same with any excessively preachy religion such as environmentalism for example. This would appear to be a deep-rooted insecurity on my part for which I probably need therapy. On that basis, I appear to have been taking cheap shots without justification, for which I apologise. I must try to do better (have you hugged a carnist today?)

The only edit which I omitted was the reference to "immoral, murderous, violent and unworthy" which I thought was a strange conclusion in the first place, but that's all yours.

Edited with bigger text to appease the few.....

shed9":1v9ei8yw said:
Trainee neophyte":1v9ei8yw said:

My problem with carnists (and I admit, I do have a problem with carnists) is that I don't like proselytising religions. Carnism is a huge religious movement, which has the entire gamut of believers, from hard-core fundamentalist raw-foodists and animal-farming types through the wide range of virtue-signalling do-gooders, and out the other side with the C of E style token pretend believers such as "flexitarians". I think I am uncomfortable with any religious enthusiast who infers that I am immoral, murderous, violent and unworthy. It doesn't have to be meat-eaters, I am much the same with any excessively preachy religion such as environmentalism for example. This would appear to be a deep-rooted insecurity on my part for which I probably need therapy. On that basis, I appear to have been taking cheap shots without justification, for which I apologise. I must try to do better (have you hugged a carnist today?)

The only edit which I omitted was the reference to "immoral, murderous, violent and unworthy" which I though was a strange conclusion in the first place, but that's all yours.

Modifying someone's post in a 'quote' is not acceptable. Even in jest.

RogerS":3c3kl0o8 said:
shed9":3c3kl0o8 said:
Trainee neophyte":3c3kl0o8 said:

The only edit which I omitted was the reference to "immoral, murderous, violent and unworthy" which I though was a strange conclusion in the first place, but that's all yours.

Modifying someone's post in a 'quote' is not acceptable. Even in jest.
Does that include reposting it as well?

Back