Friendship vs Greed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing no one seems to have touched on is the ramifications of the fact that lots if people can't cook basic recipes anymore.
They can't take a half empty fridge and a cupboard of tins and eke out various meals. If it's not coming from a packet ready prepared they have no idea. Literally. Ties in with talk of poverty. People eating cr*p out of packets and there's a worldwide obesity health crisis. Its almost like theres a link. But it's cheaper to eat well if you can cook 6 or 7 basic recipes and have a basic understanding of food groups and nutrition etc. Even if you can't now, start and within weeks it's old hat. It's that easy.
At the start of this I went to my usual local chinese supermarket. I bought a sack of rice and a sack of onions. Some frozen fish and chicken. Oh and some big old bottles of mushroom sauce and oil and so on. Nothing I had to clear any space for in the freezer. I always buy a sack of rice because it's so much cheaper and I eat a lot of rice compared to most window cleaners lol. Came to seventy quid. There was no panic but I do have two young kids and I follow the news and not just from uk TV... I wanted to be sensibly prepared.
Everything else I need to cook I pretty much have. Herbs spices etc. No need to run around sainsburys buying stuff like a demented fool.
Shortages from staying indoors will be green and red food. Veg and fruit. Especially for the kids. Not uk shortages but household. And the kids are learning fast.
When the time comes I'll get masked/gloved up, I'll go and get said food from shops and the brave souls still working in retail and then I'll come home take me work boots off chuck em in the van. Take my gloves off. Disinfect my shopping. Strip off and chuck it in the washer go and have a shower to keep my house as safe as possible.

And carry on.
Stand up straight people, remember the iron in your blood.
Stop arguing ffs. It helps no one.
No one.
I've seen enough small acts of kindness in the last two weeks that it has given me hope. And I was pretty much done with people at points to be honest.
If you're stuck at home and you're feeling in a tight place read Slaughterhouse five by Kurt Vonnegut. If you read it before. Read it again. :wink:

Regards
Chris

On balance I'm seeing more good than bad.
I live in a village, maybe it's a bit more of a "closer" community, who knows.

Those treating this crisis as a holiday are very annoying and probably costing others their lives.

I think quite a few people will be learning to cook right now.

Maybe being able to cook is why some people aren't panic buying. I didn't panic buy and we cook almost 99% of our meals from scratch, very little pre-prepared foods in our diet.

Ditto. I have bought a lot from https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/ over a few years, so have a good stock of dried stuff, herbs and spices etc. They're in a a bit a turmoil at the moment, but well worth a look if you cook seriously. Sign up for the mailshots and they in normal times have a good freebie every week. In fact sign up with two email addresses - sometimes the offers coming through differ, and one is more useable than the other. I have no qualms about giving them a plug - they are an excellent firm to deal with.

Dr Bob is right. I see a lot of good too:

No plane noise or pollution
No rail noise or pollution
Very few cars and minimal pollution
The environment is having a rest from human obliteration
The birds are singing - loudly
Fewer idiotic spam calls
The sky and air feels cleaner
I hope we cut down dramatically on air and cruise travel
Turns out many can work from home - so less commuting - lets hope it sticks
We do not actually need all these coffee shops and fast food places
People helping each other
Respect for nurses, doctors and teachers
No one is paying needy celebrities any attention
People are actually trying to exercise
People are learning to cook
Supermarkets have realised they don't need 60 different types of properties
People have started to grow stuff
People are baking bread
Antagonistic party politics is looking silly
Parents are focussed on their children
Those of us with hobbies are pursuing them
Those without hobbies are finding them
Families are phoning each other up
We hear much less vegan preaching
Maybe students will realise how pointless some degrees are when push comes to shove
Rich people are still being stupid and selfish, but some are not
We are not producing crazy quantities of cars that no one needs
We are recycling more
Pointless disposable fashion is dying out
People have realised that ready meals and takeaways are pointlessly expensive
Some people are learning languages and musical instruments

No doubt we can all see positives.

AJ

Selwyn":1518v5vm said:
Is Lons really elderly and vulnerable or is he quite capable of holding a shopping basket? Must be astonishing he can even do any woodwork if he is unable to go shopping for food. I am pretty sure Govt said to continue shopping for food with the appropriate precautions
WOW :roll:

I'm 71 and am vulnerable apparently because of age and mild hypertension, my wife is more vulnerable due to asthma and a couple of other issues if you must know. Yes I'm capable of shopping however......
Don't be bothering with click and collect/ delivery at the moment that is fuelling the problems. Put some nitrile gloves on and go in and buy a basketful of goods that will keep you and your family going for a week.

* Click and collect means that I come into contact, at a safe distance from one person, minimum exposure to me and that member of staff plus prepaid so no pressing buttons.
* Shopping means joining a queue and trundling around the store in contact with loads of other shoppers and members of staff which equals lots of exposure to all those concerned. If you think you can stay a safe distance from everyone in a busy supermarket you're in cloud cuckooland.

You need to use some commonsense man (hammer)
Note to Nev: I've edited out the 2 very mild insults, trust that's acceptable :)

RogerS":2lc3cla8 said:
Rorschach":2lc3cla8 said:
As to the SE grants they are offering. Lucky for me my declared income is genuine as it should be, I don't earn much but at the least the money from the government should stop me going into debt and keep the lights on etc.

Fingers crossed for you.
+1 Rorschach, sad story about your father and hats off to your mum for bringing you up with values.

Geoff_S":hgv0zpwx said:
I like that! I can use that statement in the future if you don’t mind :D Nice one

It's not mine, so as far as I'm concerned yeah, go ahead :)

AJB Temple":3pba5b5q said:

Fewer idiotic spam calls
People are baking bread
Maybe students will realise how pointless some degrees are when push comes to shove
We are recycling more

AJ

A fine list, but there are a vast number of people rather dependent on all the activity currently not happening. If we want to continue on like this, how is everyone going to live? All that debt needing repaying - there will be some hungry bankers if it carries on like this.

The vegan preaching I can certainly do without.

AJB Temple":90r7uzps said:

Fewer idiotic spam calls
People are baking bread
We are recycling more

AJ

There was a news bulletin on he radit that said Goats have taken over some place in Wales, might have been llandudno - a bloke who was interviewed over the phone said "now the humans have gone, nature has moved back"

I kinda like that to be honest.

I got a chirpy "hello!" from a guy walking his dog the other direction, when I walked to the (closed) post office to buy more electric and gas - seeing fathers out riding bikes with thier kids, and even got a wave from the neighbour opposite.

I REALLY hope humanity doesn't revert after all this - at the very least those in the frontline have now proven thier worth beyond measure and should get better support from the Govt and the general public as a whole.

In lots of ways I'm really pleased this has happened - not the deaths and rubbish side of humanity obviously - but all the stuff above and more.

rafezetter":2zunx6id said:
There was a news bulletin on he radit that said Goats have taken over some place in Wales, might have been llandudno - a bloke who was interviewed over the phone said "now the humans have gone, nature has moved back"

To be fair I used to live in North Wales. I'm half Welsh so no anti Cymraeg bias here. It was like that in 1992 when I lived in the Carneddi.
8)

Bm101":2pyofq3v said:
To be fair I used to live in North Wales. I'm half Welsh so no anti Cymraeg bias here. It was like that in 1992 when I lived in the Carneddi.
8)

Yeah, I don't know what all the fuss is about, it's just like any other Tuesday.

Trainee neophyte":30sjja6p said:

Guilt complex?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SBJ":1i6pyzy5 said:
Trainee neophyte":1i6pyzy5 said:

Guilt complex?

I dislike vegans because they want to outlaw my way of life. Other than that, i don't really have a interest in what fussy eaters want to eat or not eat.

SBJ":ug6er94u said:
Trainee neophyte":ug6er94u said:

Guilt complex?

Probably something to do with a very small % of people. The rest of us just don't care, and it's sort of like being told about something you don't care about over and over, but nobody will stop talking when you tell them you don't care.

Trainee neophyte":3s3kcvi8 said:
I dislike vegans because they want to outlaw my way of life.

Really, I just thought they had made a choice for their own way of life. The vegans I know never preach to me, let alone suggesting my lifestyle should be outlawed. I suspect you have read too much hype.

Back