Hand saw - lapse of concentration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mattty":e1u8e11d said:
Bloody hell mate.

Sorry to hear about this. If you need a hand with anything please just give me a call.

Cheers Matty - will do. Having an enforced rest at the mo - which can't be bad!:lol:

Wrapping comes off tomorrow - looking forward to that :cool:. Just been doing all the non-construction jobs that were at the bottom of the list that suddenly found themselves at the top! Like refurbing the Nokia handset prior to giving it to Wifey (quite chuffed considering it involved a bit of soldering - and all 1 handed) when I get my new one in a bit & upgrading the maps on my GPS without getting fleeced. :wink: I was getting sick of driving thru what the TomTom said were fields!

Dibs

gosh - glad they managed to sort everything out; hope you recover soon.

I guess the clue was in the tool's name handsaw :)

Miles

Crikey, I'm glad that picture was blurred... Sorry to hear about your accident, but thanks for posting - sadly it's to late to stop your accident from happening but seeing these things keep the rest of us that bit more careful.

Good luck with the healing process - hope it's quick! And please accept our commiserations on that inevitable moment a few days from now when Mrs-Dibs' sympathy runs out... :lol:

Maybe you should drop an 'after' pic on here in a few months to show off the scar :?:

Dibs-h":1htk76f2 said:
Stitches out tomorrow so can't be bad - hopefully get some good news from the Docs.

Do you have any loss of sensation Dibs?

Glad to hear your hand is on the mend...that was a scary incident!

Not even on the same scale but just to prove that innocent tools can harm...I got a long paper-like cut in my thumb today stupidly guiding a twist drill with it and not removing it before starting up the drill!

Boy! Those edges are sharp as hell!

Good luck with the mend!

Jim

jimi43":38unuaem said:
Do you have any loss of sensation Dibs?

Jim

Top of the finger is numb (from the knuckle to the tip) and swollen, (not massively) but the flesh is harder than the lower half which I'm hoping should reduce over the coming weeks. I severed the nerve to that part of the finger completely as well as a major blood vessel. Thankfully the Plastic Surgeon repaired both.

I'm getting little "jolts" (probably too strong a word - but can't think of anything else) down it and know where they emanate - so all I can think is that the nerves are regrowing and this is to be expected.

The annoying this is that where the surgeons cut into the palm to get a working area - that bit is starting to tighten up, so 3 fingers straighten up normally and the index one is curling inwards a tad. I can live with that until the palm heals and then a little "exercise\stretching" should have that back to normal at some point.

I'll just say now, I don't want to know about your palm stretching exercises :D

I was sawing up some apple branches last summer for use as firewood using a nice aggressive tooth bow saw, thumb was tucked away, guided the cut it to get it going and then gave it a bit more welly. Two seconds later the smegger jumped out of the cut, bounced along the branch and placed 2 deep (and clean) cuts between knuckles 1 and 2. Thankfully only a flesh wound, but still felt a tit and it stopped me doing any cutting for half an hour whilst I stemmed the flow and found plasters/gloves

Had the stitches removed yesterday - and just slowly getting back to normal.

Here's some piccies for you,

stitches.jpg

no_stitches.jpg

Certainly 1 advantage of being operated on by a Plastic Surgeon - they do tidy stitches! I suspect in about a month or 2 - it'll be "What scar - nah you never!"

Dibs

p.s. Found out yesterday that when the Consultant said last week that I'd also severed a blood vessel - what he meant was that I had severed the artery to the finger. Go figure! Thankfully it was repaired.

Amazing thing the human body! When I was 21 I had a car accident and over 100 stitches in my face...done by a gorgeous lady surgeon over a few hours and you can hardly see the scars now.

Looks like they had their work cut out there with vessels and nerves aside from the skin and muscle!

Glad to hear that it is coming back together ok...the tingles and sharp jabs are repair twinges...if you didn't get these you should worry more!

Jim

jimi43":1x7bwfdz said:
.the tingles and sharp jabs are repair twinges...if you didn't get these you should worry more!

Jim

Yeah - I've had a few of those - like little 'lectric shocks! Oddest thing if you've never had them. :lol:

Thankfully not enough to cause unplanned things to happen. :wink:

Dibs-h":h7xr5yl4 said:
jimi43":h7xr5yl4 said:
Thankfully not enough to cause unplanned things to happen.

On that point, just a minor warning - even after everything's healed up, you may find that fingers still do slightly odd things. After my first lot of hand surgery, the thumb would occasionally lose grip without warning (not good for china on a tiled floor :( ). It passed off in a couple of years.

But I wish my scars were that neat.........

All your lovely stories remind me of my father-in-law;
As he put down his circular saw on his bench it dropped and in a reflex he tried to catch it. For some reason the guard didn't close and the pipper caught him straight across his arm. So he wrapped his arm in a towel and ran into the house. He asked the cleaner to call an ambulance and she fainted when she saw him. So he called the ambulance himself. 20 minutes later the ambulance arrives with two paramedics, they look at the cut and they say: sorry sir, that's nothing for us, you'll need a surgeon for that. So they drove off!!

In the mean time mother-in-law came home and she drove him to the local hospital. They got to a surgeon and he said straight away: we'll have to amputate your arm. MIL told him to shove his scalpel where the sun doesn't shine. She then drove 2 hours to a university hospital. A plastic surgeon reattached all the nerves, blood vessels, tendons, muscles and whatever else was ripped apart.

The day he got home he sold all his woodworking machinery. It took about 6 months to recover and now, 15 years later he still has limited power, motion and sensation in his hand.

It didn't stop him to build a restaurant, 6 flats and most of my sister-in-law's house. He's still extremely sloppy with drills and angle grinders but he certainly is very cautious with a circular saw.

Glad you're on the mend, Dibs! Handsaws can be dangerous as well!

dickm":23lef17c said:
But I wish my scars were that neat.........

Me too. My only consolation is that chicks digs scars :lol:

Next time you should try and get a surgeon on his third shift a little late at night, who obviously have been working overtime for most of the month.
THAT will give you scars... DAMHIKT

Latest posts

Back