hand saw identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
yesterday a work collegue of me gave me one hand saw which belonged to his grandfather. I dont' see any mark or logo over.. it's so rust therefore I devolve upon the response to someone can see something through my very poor pics.
For my measurement it's 5 1/2 TPI and it seems filed rip

medium_155421790ee7c44e8d1e028770eb6ba0.jpg

medium_77cfc0338e46fc98a950d5eee375f4da.jpg

medium_d984c1800b71707122cc580de9a15c7a.jpg

medium_5b5b3d1b7a752160d7eddbe1eba8da18.jpg

Many thanks to who can enlighten me

Cheers
Gabriele

curious - the part of the handle where you hold it appears nice and curvaceous and comfortable, and yet the overal handle shaping is rather plain.

The nuts look "basic", and there's no showy medallion.

Yet the toe has an archaic looking nib.

All in all, the various parameters of the saw don't seem to form a whole.

So, to my knowledge, it's either a "hybrid" put together from parts (which seems unlikey) or its a saw from a period and/or geographical area I don't kno about (which seems more likely)

BugBear

Gabriele, there may be geniuses out there who can identify it, but my guess is it'll remain a mystery. I have one rather similar and think of it as more of a second quality saw. Nothing wrong with the blade but the bolts, handle shaping etc is just that bit more basic. Actually that plain handle shape is surprisingly comfortable.

Cheers, Alf

I think BB got it right. The blade shape appears much older than the handle. The slant of the back end of the blade is an older touch and the treatment of the heel of the saw--the beveled portion--is not common except on older English saws and early American saws.

Hard to tell from the picture of the handle, but it almost appears like there's a ghosting, a trace, of a different handle shape.

Might clean ok, might have pitting. Worth giving it a go.

Take care, Mike

Hi to All,

OK guys, it isn't I did expect I have a Disston or other good brands.. :lol: Yes I saw that bolts.. they're of one more basic shape one could expect.. I was used to see brassed shining medallions and so on...

Let's see what will be the outcome after a claning ( I don't know when it will be :roll: ..there're a lot things to do aside from WW :cry: )

I'll come with other pics

Bye
Cheers
Gabriele

Back