Chris Schwarz ripping wood by hand - speed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pinus Strobos 400 kgm3. An excellent choice for demonstrations due to it very easy working.

Having worked with it I can concur that no tricks are needed. It's just easy working wood. For many jobs that's a huge advantage.

Our "Scott's Pine" is 550 kgm3.

Euro Oak is about 720 kgm3

Pinus Strobos 400 kgm3. An excellent choice for demonstrations due to it very easy working.

Having worked with it I can concur that no tricks are needed. It's just easy working wood. For many jobs that's a huge advantage.

Our "Scott's Pine" is 550 kgm3.

Euro Oak is about 720 kgm3

I thought it looked like Quebec yellow pine Pinus strobus too. It is indeed very soft and easy to work, making it an ideal timber to show off your well honed and all sorts of smashing sawing skills with, in order to impress the easily impressed.

Ummm. Having played around with some different handsaws recently, the speed he's cutting through that wood looks about right to me. It's what a decent rip saw will do.

But .... definitely Quebec yellow pine Pinus strobus

Nice dry timber, even if hard/dense really isn't a problem to rip with a sharp, low tpi rip saw, especially at 25mm or less thickness. Doesn't need brute strength, just smooth and steady.

Does he mention whether that saw is filed for ripping? That would make a dramatic difference. I can still recall, after years of using a cross-cut saw for everything, the first time I used a rip saw to rip a board. I thought I'd picked up a light saber.

Does he mention whether that saw is filed for ripping? That would make a dramatic difference. I can still recall, after years of using a cross-cut saw for everything, the first time I used a rip saw to rip a board. I thought I'd picked up a light saber.
Yes, he mentioned that that is a pannel saw , 8 or 9 TPI, filed for ripping. I think he would not use a crosscut saw for this demonstration, because people would make fun of him in the comments.

Back