Hand Drills - The Slope with a Hole!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok...I blame you lot! :wink:

I was ok with planes...even infills...my PayPal account took the occasional battering but at least I was focussed! :lol:

Then along came the threads and visits from Douglas sporting various examples of ancient engineering designed to make a hole...

I wouldn't mind...but I have quite a few modern methods of making holes so why oh why when I am idling away the wee hours in >Collectibles>Tools...did I get so tempted...?

Well...it's only three so far...one was a bootfair find and these two were bought as I only wanted one...but they came together as one lot...mmmmm..

First this huge twin speed job...

DSC_0020.JPG

Missing a front handle (don't they all go missing?)...but mechanically sound....

DSC_0021.JPG

No maker's mark....anyone guess?

But the real reason I bought this lot was for this one....

DSC_0022.JPG

Ever since I saw the recent thread (which I cannot now locate!)...where it's sister was featured.

The canny method of gear change is simple mechanical poetry! And it works!

DSC_0023.JPG

The only markings on it are CC 10....so does this mean it makes dyslexic big boys cry? :mrgreen:

(reaches for coat!)

It has the recommended keyed chuck...a Jacob 33B

DSC_0024.JPG

So...now all I have to do is make a few handles and dig through me chuck key drawer!

I do think this slope will stop soon....it will...won't it!? :oops:

More later when the restorations are done!

Jim

the second one is a great design what a tool :tool:

im sure with your turning skills a matching handle wouldnt be a problem

adidat

p.s postie been yet?

(homer) (homer) (homer) (homer) (homer) (homer) (homer) (homer)

just saw your second thread

adidat :oops: :oops:

adidat":1tf0gv2w said:
the second one is a great design what a tool :tool:

im sure with your turning skills a matching handle wouldnt be a problem

adidat

p.s postie been yet?

It is indeed Chris...

And I forgot to say...the handle has a ratchet....you take the screw out of the arm holding it to the disc and it goes forward but ratchets backwards....the spring and pawl are in the little disc in the middle!

Wonderful stuff!

Jim

jimi43":1e5tlir6 said:
Ok...I blame you lot! :wink:

Then along came the threads and visits from Douglas sporting various examples of ancient engineering designed to make a hole...

DSC_0022.JPG

Glad to see Douglas is shouldering the blame for the rest of us... :wink:

I saw those two on everyone's favourite website, and I too was reminded of the missing thread; it is an interesting drill for sure.

Sadly space and a wife prohibit anymore eggbeaters until I can come up with a good excuse.

Still, it is strangely gratifying to see you tumble down a new slope, grasping desperately for a scapegoat, after my summer slope of bootfairs, robbing me of my Sunday lie-in, for which I hold you and your various 'threads-of-fab-tools-for-no-money' responsible! :wink: :mrgreen:

El.

jimi43":33khgguy said:
Missing a front handle (don't they all go missing?)
That's what everyone says - oddly I seem to have an uncanny knack of virtually always getting the side handle too. Why the tool gods should bless me with this gift, I have no idea. I'd rather find Stanley #1s under every rock, given the choice...

Anyway, very little hope left for you now, Jim. Welcome to this particular branch of the Slope, and see you at the bottom. :D

Good on you Jimi!

It was my thread here that planted the seed - it's nice to see it blossom so quickly!

Now that mine is back in good order I have tried it out on various things and found that it works really well - the range of gearing is a real advantage, but it's not as clumsy and heavy as the ordinary sort with cast bevel gears. Plus it's not so liable to grab your skin or clothes and do a goffering iron effect on it!

But I'm really pleased that you found the ratchet. I tracked down a patent showing the ratchet, but decided that mine didn't have one. The screw holding the handle has been bashed down like a rivet on mine, but I shall now have a go at freeing it.

This is how it works:

patents

And one more bit of good news: I know where there is another one for sale!

Jimi

Turning to your other acquisition for a moment, I wonder if it's a Record 144?

The only picture I can find is this dodgy one from the 1935 Buck and Hickman catalogue:

Record144.JPG

which does have a similar oval loop in the casting by the side handle. The chuck in the picture is different, but I think it shows the 3-jaw option, whereas yours has a 2-jaw, for square shanked bits.

Someone here must have a proper Record catalogue; on-line, all I can find is extracts with pictures of "planes" (whatever they are!) leaving out the interesting drills!

[On second thoughts - maybe the orange paint is the best clue - and it's a Chapman, before they were bought by Stanley in the 1930s. Or a Stanley that had a sticker that came unstuck.]

Attachments

• Record144.JPG
    Record144.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 2,429
Forget that last post - the handle attachment is wrong.
I should have looked down the page a bit:

Attachments

• chapman.JPG
    chapman.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,364
WOW! Thanks for the comments and info guys and gals...this is certainly a slope that could become most dangerous...I think I will be ok if I don't let Douglas send me over Miller's Falls... :mrgreen:

I suppose I will be ok if I take a pilot hole with me! :roll:

I think I will restore fully the multi-hole one Andy...your patent pictures have inspired me to try the cold Japanning technique and this is an ideal candidate. Mechanically it is so simple yet elegant. I want to make it look great and will brush plain metal finish for the rest of it.

Will take some WIP pictures when I do.

So you think this is a Chapman drill?

Jim

jimi43":pjpyblik said:
WOW! Thanks for the comments and info guys and gals...this is certainly a slope that could become most dangerous...I think I will be ok if I don't let Douglas send me over Miller's Falls... :mrgreen:

I suppose I will be ok if I take a pilot hole with me! :roll:

I think I will restore fully the multi-hole one Andy...your patent pictures have inspired me to try the cold Japanning technique and this is an ideal candidate. Mechanically it is so simple yet elegant. I want to make it look great and will brush plain metal finish for the rest of it.

Will take some WIP pictures when I do.

So you think this is a Chapman drill?

Jim

I shall watch the progress with interest!

As for my guess at a Chapman ID - teak handles must be a pretty rare thing - what does yours have?

The handle seems too light for walnut (weight wise)....but it might be...it's not beech and it is fair covered in gunk so will clean all that off and let you know.

I'm putting that one to one side first though...I want to get the HoleMonster working first.

Cheers mate

Jim

I've been doing some research on the "other" drill and I think it is this one:

bd19bd190larg.jpg

Millers Falls Drills

(photos and link from Old Tool Heaven)

There are no markings on the handle...but then the 1915 photo of the No.190 shows no markings either...

What do you guys and gals think?

Jimi

I see what you mean. The MF catalogue text says Red rather than Orange, but that's not decisive.
It's a pity there's no picture from the other side in either catalogue, as I think your drill's handle adjuster is unusual and distinctive - I'm assuming that you can slide the handle along and secure it to give any effective length you choose.

Whatever the answer is, I get the impression that a handful of manufacturers took a very close interest in the designs that their rivals launched, and were quick to catch up with a closely matching equivalent, That little loop on the bottom of the casting is not as distinctive as I first thought!

I think it is a faded red...rather than the orange it appears to be in the photo...also there's

THIS AUCTION

Not that this is definitive but it got me started on that road....

...and yes...the handle does adjust in and out by clamping with the screw.

Jim

Yeah it sure is another greasy slope.

I bought this at a tool auction ten years ago (I went in the hope of picking up a Stanley #45). Thought it might come in handy in a power cut.
MF 12.JPG
It's a Millers Falls No.12 (says so on the chuck). Dates from 1915 to 1925. The crank handle and arm look to be replacement parts.

Then last year I picked up this Stanley 905 in a bunch of planes and other tools.
MF12 & St905.JPG

At the beginning of the month I won this Millers Falls No.118 (shown thrown together for this photo while half way through a de-rust and tart-up). From the period 1931 - 1957. No side handle and the crank handle needs replacement. It's a very smooth running machine!
3 Breast Drills.JPG
And last week I won this Record (probably a #145).
Record 145b.jpg
Also no side nor crank handle. Also the spirit level appears to be AWOL. It hasn't arrived yet.

And that's just the breast drills :oops:

Interesting how Record copied other company's products so closely. Some of their planes are exact copies of Stanleys, right down to the non-standard threads. Their #145 breast drill looks to be an exact copy of the Millars Falls #118 drill. I'll be looking for any differences when the Record arrives in the post.

Cheers, Vann.

ps excuse the poor photos - I'm not up to jimi's standard.

Attachments

• MF 12.JPG
    MF 12.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,063
  • MF12 & St905.JPG
    MF12 & St905.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 2,063
  • 3 Breast Drills.JPG
    3 Breast Drills.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 2,063
  • Record 145b.jpg
    Record 145b.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2,063
I love this thread, because it seems I'm not alone on the slope, nor do I have the biggest problem!

Well that's what I thought, but the family are all down on a bench while I put up more shelves...

002-12.jpg

There's also a Stanley brace waiting to be put back together and a Stanley 905 in a box under the bench!

There didn't seem that many until they are all together. :oops:

Very nice indeed Jim - and that MF that failed at a fiver... prob because someone described it as a wheel brace... oh, bless. (And also because I was away at the time).
Anyway, we've done planes, planes are old hat. It's drills we need now. Let me know when you find one with an ebony handle, will you?

(this is subtle market manipulation... if I can convince enough people that planes are old hat, the price will fall... I'll clean up. Exactly like the stock market but nicer.)

Scouse":3kmy0e1b said:
I love this thread, because it seems I'm not alone on the slope, nor do I have the biggest problem!

Well that's what I thought, but the family are all down on a bench while I put up more shelves...
Um, honestly, don't think you have the biggest problem...

Attachments

• drillsandbraces.jpg
    drillsandbraces.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1,965
Back