Hand chisel blade chips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krashbandikoot

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out with something.

I have a trusty set of chisels but on the largest one I've taken a couple of chips out of the end after hitting a brad or something similar.

Now I do have a sharpener, it's a drill operated one with a magnet on the guide to keep the tool true but it's not working out well. These chips are reasonably deep and significant.

What's the best way to go forward with this? Blunt it down on a grinder and use the sharpener to re-cut the edge or just persist with the sharper until goes past the missing bits of blade?

Also, just how far back will a chisel blade go before it's past the point of being useful? Can you keep on sharpening them until they're just a nub or is there a point down the shaft where it can't be sharpened any longer?

I am not familiar with the sharpening system you mention, but to remove a chipped end I would grind off to give a flat end on the grinder then grind the bevel at 25 degrees until the flat end is removed, then hone. The number of bevels is entirely up to you! Grinding off the end in this way reduces the chances of bluing the steel on the very thin end. With a water cooled wheel this would not be necessary.

Regarding length, I have some short chisels but never found a deterioration in the steel, however very short chisels are not very convenient to use.

Chris

My sharpner is one of these:

$T2eC16JHJHEFFlkyGkE(BRojR7ewLw~~60_35.JPG

It works off any drill and has a wheel that you offer the end up to while the front bit has magnets in it and holds the chisel in place. It works reasonably well on thinner chisels but wider ones need to be stroked left to right to sharpen them.

I've ground chips out of chisel blades with a hand-cranked grinder in the dim and distant past. It took a while, but it got there.

Agree with Nick - Chris has about nailed it. The only thing I'd add is keep a small engineer's aquare or similar handy in the later stages, and use it to check that the reground edge is about square and straight. Correct as necessary, then finish by honing.

Back