Guitars

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum woodworm . That timber looks lovely , i think its called quilted but i'm not sure what part of the tree it comes from . Maybe just outside of a burl ?

Thanks for putting the pic up, i found it a while ago whilst looking at the ultimate guitar dot com forum. It's supposed to be from a tree in Brazil that yeilded some amazing figured wood that was renowned by luthiers and only a few guitars have been made from it.

That's quilted mahogany. You won't really find a supplier for it in the UK, bigger dealers in the US will sell guitars sets made from it - try www.gilmerwood.com amongst others. It will set you back a pretty penny though, I'd say a back and side set with figuring like that will easily be over £250.

Been a busy guitar weekend with all the rain .
Fitted the neck , fingerboard and bridge aswell as making a bone nut and saddle . Bone stinks when you cut and sand it !

DSC00265.jpg

DSC00268.jpg

The nut and saddle support the strings , nut at the top of the fingerboard and saddle on the bridge .

Wooohooo it sounds like a guitar !

DSC00280.jpg

I need to do a bit more tweaking but i wont know where untill i've played with it a bit .

I've already taken a bit more off the neck

DSC00279.jpg

Excelent, looks brill. What did you finish it with? I'm starting a Les Paul build soon, hope it turns out as well as yours.

Congrats, Jason!
Looks fantastic- you must be very proud!
I'm going to start on an acoustic soon - thanks for the inspiration,
Philly :D

Finished it with Ronseal polyurethane gloss varnish in the end i was told it was the easiest to use :D
I've left it with just one coat for now as i think i will be tweaking for a while .

JFC":1e2haq7l said:
Finished it with Ronseal polyurethane gloss varnish in the end i was told it was the easiest to use :D
I've left it with just one coat for now as i think i will be tweaking for a while .

TWEAKING ????? i thought you strummed ? :wink:

Philly if you want tips on what not to do then feel free to ask , For tips on what to do please don't ask me :lol:
I must say a big thankyou to MIGNAL for all the help he has given me , i think i would be lost without his advice and also thanks to everyone else that gave tips .
This has been a seriously fun project and not over yet but the next one will be far better .

Thats pretty damn good for a first guitar and completed faster than someone who has been doing it for nearly twenty years :oops: As they say in this trade: My next one is going to be the great masterpiece. . .

Back