Guitars

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2.5 to 3mm - a lot depends on the characteristics of the top wood and strutting thickness but those measurements are fairly typical. Same for the back but 4 - 5mm is very heavy, too much in my opinion. Need to lose some weight.

Belt sander time then ! More wenge dust :cry: Its nasty stuff .

I've just spun the sides over to put the linings onto the bottom and there was some disturbing cracking noises . I thought about putting some thin wenge supports around the sides between the linings but read tape is used or spruce if anything atall . The reasons for nothing atall was that anyone playing a hand made guitar wont be bashing it around like a bloke in a bar . Erm .......So will wenge supports be ok then ? :lol:
Or will it all become very rigid when the back and sides go on .

I've never used side supports. Some people do, some don't. I think it might be better trying to locate exactly what is causing the disturbing noises. I doubt it's because of the lack of side supports. Check the linings are glued - no loose sections anywhere, otherwise that guitar will shake, rattle and . . . buzz.

One of the linings had popped off and snapped , i'll replace it when the others have dried .
Would it be a good idea to oil the inside before i glue on the top and soundboard or is it just left bear ?

No oil should touch the surface of any wood in stringed musical instruments, at least according to the theory. Leave it bare.

Noted . Your right this is seriously addictive , it's been a lovely day for boating and i've been in the workshop all day working on this :lol:
I've got the back down to 3mm and the curved supports fitted .

DSC00238.jpg

I wasn't going to add any purfling but now i've spent this much time on it i think i will . At first i thought Maple but Iroko looks good too . What do you think anyone ?

Iroko on the left looking at the pic

DSC00237.jpg

And last of all i couldn't resist a mock up :D

DSC00241.jpg

JFC":3ed9mp5s said:
I wasn't going to add any purfling but now i've spent this much time on it i think i will . At first i thought Maple but Iroko looks good too . What do you think anyone ?

The iroko looks fantastic, the grain and colour both go really well.

Before you glue all this together just make sure the neck angle is correct. I cant really suggest one because the top is flat. Usually on a steel strung the neck is pulled back by 1 or 2mm, that's known as a negative angle. On a nylon strung the neck is pulled forward by approx. 2mm.
It is possible to work it out by drawing the cross section of bridge, saddle height, fingerboard thickness, fret height and the 'action' that you are aiming for. In fact you might not need a neck angle, it's possible it could lie in the same plane.
That bridge is way too thick, it should end up near 9 mm, with your saddle projecting above this by 3.5 - 4.5mm (bass side) and 2.5 -3.5mm treble side.
Fingerboard is usually around 6 mm thick as a finished dimension. Check these dimensions with the folk over at mimf. I build nylon strung so dimensions are quite different.
Things start to get a little more critical from here on in. That's just to cheer you up.

I agree Jake the Iroko does look good with the Wenge , as soon as i saw it on the rack my eyes lit up :D

Now the hard part ? I thought i had done that bit :x From what i have been reading it says the neck is on the same plane as the soundboard but my dovetail has allowed for 2mm each way aswell as left and right :lol:
I made the bridge while i was waiting for my book and plans so the top is how it is on one of my guitars and i was leaving the rest to cut down when i knew what to do .
The finger board is precut and 7mm , i think it has been shaped on the top but i'm not sure if im supposed to shape it some more to 6mm or just level the back :?

Bit more done today

Scribing in the top

DSC00245.jpg

Scribing in the bottom

DSC00246.jpg

Bottom glued and fitted

DSC00247.jpg

Looks excellent. Did you make the fret board? If so, how did you measure out the frets?

No Ive bought a pre cut fret board , i figured for my first one id leave that part to the pros . I still have to shape it but the grooves are already there . That was just a dry fit of the neck , ive just glued the sound board on . Oh and remembered to cut some holes in the bottom of the jig so i can get the blinking thing out in the morning :lol:

DSC00249.jpg

A bit more done , i went for the maple in the end for the purfling . The Iroko looked really nice but took something away from the Wenge .

DSC00257.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

And the Iroko kept snapping

without strings ????? :lol: :twisted: :lol:

guitar looks good mate, be interesting to see what it looks like with strings etc.

now about all that broken iroko
:roll:
paul :wink:

What broken Iroko
:oops:
I need to do a bit of reading up on the next bit , i need to shape the fingerboard , work out where the bridge is going and the angle of the neck .
:?

Well i've shaped the fingerboard and made a wenge pick gaurd , i'm getting a bit scared to glue the neck to the body incase i get it wrong :?

DSC00259.jpg

I'm not sure if the wenge pick gaurd is too much or not .

Hi, i've been lurking around this forum for a while, and this guitar looks great so far. I'd love to try making an acoustic one day especially if i can find mahogany like this! :shock:

Hi woodworm,

Welcome to the forum. :D

Your picture has been caught by our spamulator, that will stop once you have a few more posts to you name.

Here it is:

Back