Grrrrr...Milwaukee, what a con.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose using a name like Milwaukee is misleading, but then that is how adverising and marketing work.
I have a Millwaukee 240v jigsaw that I bought new in 2002......It states on the side of it that it was "Made in Germany "
(Its still going strong by the way...)

If you click on the 360 degree view on the link below and zoom in on the identification plate it says made in PRC.

I think it might be another manufacturers saw rebadged and pimped a bit like they did with the multi tool which is probably the reason.

https://www.festool.co.uk/products/sawing/reciprocating-saws/576949---rsc-18-5,2-eb-plus-gb#Overview

Oh yeah, so it is.

I have a Millwaukee 240v jigsaw that I bought new in 2002......It states on the side of it that it was "Made in Germany "
(Its still going strong by the way...)
They were sold in 2005 I think.

He's just been sent a message advising him on its imminent return and the reason why.
I have no doubt that he will be shaking in his boots when he reads your email.

I'm in the States now for a few more days, and visited a local store that carries Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, Bosch, Festool, SawStop, Powermatic, Jet, Hilti, and many more product lines.

This is one of the two DeWalt product areas.

DeWalt-1.jpg

This is the Makita product area.

Makita-1.jpg

This is one of the three Milwaukee product areas.

Milwaukee-1.jpg

This is one of the three large equipment areas.

Stan-Houston-2.jpg

This is the second of three large machine areas.

Stan-Houston-3.jpg

The small Bosch and Metabo area.

Bosch-1.jpg

None of the tools or equipment in any of these photos were made in the USA. The closest was some of the DeWalt tools that had this label:

DeWalt-2.jpg

I didn't take any photos of the Festool or Hilti areas because there were several customers in each who were busy buying tools.

During the four hours I was in the store making a pest of myself, I looked at dozens of tools from each manufacturer. In those cases where a tool was not on display, the country of manufacture was clearly printed on the side or bottom of the box.

Here is what I found from each:

Milwaukee. Made in China and Vietnam.
Makita. Except for one tool, all were made in China. The exception was the SP6000J plunge saw, which was made in the UK.
DeWalt. Made in China and Mexico
Bosch. Made in Malaysia and China
Jet. Made in Taiwan
Powermatic. Made in Taiwan
Rikon. Made in Taiwan
Hilti. Made in China
Festool. Made in Germany and a couple of sanders from the Czech Republic.
Husqvarna. Made in Sweden

I also had a long conversation with three of the store salesmen. I asked how many times customers came in wanting to buy shop tools and machines that were made in the USA. All three told me this happens several times a week. The answer is always the same..."It's not possible." Some of the customers leave without buying anything, but they always come back when they realize it is not possible to buy new equipment that is made in the USA.

Don’t know if any of you have heard of bulldog tools, they make gardening tools. Formerly made in Sheffield until fairly recently. They are still allowed to put “made in Sheffield” on there because they assemble parts from other parts of the world in Sheffield. Doesn’t seem right but they are legally allowed to do that.

I suppose "Bosch" must be as well, then?:ROFLMAO:
That spelling of the pejorative is rare ( unless you mean that you think that the tools etc were made by Titus Welliver ? ) , I suspect that as many here have German relatives and or friends that MikeK ( who counts among that number ) may not let that stand.In which case I have no objection to this post of mine too "disappearing" for politeness and continuities sake. Not reported, but I think your post is in very bad taste.

Trouble is a factory in Europe or the USA has to abide by laws for safety, polution, minimum wage, etc the ccp do not care about any of that so everything is much cheaper. I read something the other day that the Chinese are now outsourcing a bunch of stuff to Africa and India to get even cheaper labour.

As a buyer of tools there is only so much conscience a wallet can take.

Ollie

That spelling of the pejorative is rare ( unless you mean that you think that the tools etc were made by Titus Welliver ? ) , I suspect that as many here have German relatives and or friends that MikeK ( who counts among that number ) may not let that stand.In which case I have no objection to this post of mine too "disappearing" for politeness and continuities sake. Not reported, but I think your post is in very bad taste.
No bad taste intended, just a logical extension of the first comment.
(Never heard of the TV series.)

Trouble is a factory in Europe or the USA has to abide by laws for safety, polution, minimum wage, etc the ccp do not care about any of that so everything is much cheaper. I read something the other day that the Chinese are now outsourcing a bunch of stuff to Africa and India to get even cheaper labour.

As a buyer of tools there is only so much conscience a wallet can take.

Ollie
and Indonesia, Vietnam, Brazil ...

Dormer drill bits are made in Brazil.

No offense received 🙂. As a US citizen living in Germany and married to a German, it takes a lot more to get my attention.

My first house was full of Bosch appliances, none of which were made in Germany. Now I have Miele and Liebherr appliances and some of them are made in Germany.

The cost and country of manufacture didn’t have anything to do with my purchases. The Bosch appliances were still functioning, but were at the end of their useful life and could no longer be supported. I based my selection of the replacements solely on customer feedback and warranty.

Ok then :)
Bosch advertise their "white goods" heavily on TV here. The ad campaign is "like a Bosch", but Miele is better built , more money, and available from the more upmarket dealers , Liebherr is less available. The one I avoid now is Samsung , I have one of their fridge freezer combos doing duty as a tool cupboard , only 3 years old when it stopped being cold in either part at all suddenly, ventilator motor runs, as does compressor , but not enough compression ( ice forms on the expansion vanes ) or bad signaling between the various boards.Compressor is guaranteed 10 years, but the labour of replacing it and recharging the refrigerant is not covered, nor is the call out. Not being a registered heating refrigeration engineer, I can't get my hands on the refrigerant. Total repair would cost about what we paid for it, so ( it died one day in the heat of last summer, with the freezer full of meat ) we bought "non big brand" separate freezer and fridge units and plugged them in the same day.

They only have two years guarantee, but after that initial two years, for €90.00 per year they are both then ( and any other "white goods" stuff insured against breakdown with full parts and labour or replacement in 24 hours ) Another €30.00 to €50.00 covers TVs , computers ( we have many ) etc, cameras ( again many ). Another €25.00 or so covers tools.

I think the guys who write the policies don't know the cost of tools, or computers and cameras :)

Ok then :)
Bosch advertise their "white goods" heavily on TV here. The ad campaign is "like a Bosch", but Miele is better built , more money, and available from the more upmarket dealers , Liebherr is less available. The one I avoid now is Samsung , I have one of their fridge freezer combos doing duty as a tool cupboard , only 3 years old when it stopped being cold in either part at all suddenly, ventilator motor runs, as does compressor , but not enough compression ( ice forms on the expansion vanes ) or bad signaling between the various boards.Compressor is guaranteed 10 years, but the labour of replacing it and recharging the refrigerant is not covered, nor is the call out. Not being a registered heating refrigeration engineer, I can't get my hands on the refrigerant. Total repair would cost about what we paid for it, so ( it died one day in the heat of last summer, with the freezer full of meat ) we bought "non big brand" separate freezer and fridge units and plugged them in the same day.

They only have two years guarantee, but after that initial two years, for €90.00 per year they are both then ( and any other "white goods" stuff insured against breakdown with full parts and labour or replacement in 24 hours ) Another €30.00 to €50.00 covers TVs , computers ( we have many ) etc, cameras ( again many ). Another €25.00 or so covers tools.

I think the guys who write the policies don't know the cost of tools, or computers and cameras :)
Samsung is pants know of others with fridge issues friend had one of those jumbo USA types went kaput suddenly.
TV's like wise red marks of death! they and LG plus some others have all on one board while Sony/Panasonic have separate boards as the one that causes issues is the GPU board get's dam "HOT" so there's is in clear air so cools better where as Samsungs etc are all in one so heat from Graphics migrates into other components and cooks them.
Plus samsung etc are Fooked where as others can replace GPU board if fails.

Last edited:
When it was working it sounded like cooper mice clog dancing while making barrels in it some times, apparently they are known for being "haunted". Their phones have waaay to much bloat to interest me, I have some of their monitors. OK , but not stupendous.

My son has the best monitors, can't remember what they are ( not Samsung ), but they cost a great deal more than yer average monitor, but then he does animations and cartoons and serious photography.

I've never taken a Samsung TV apart, yet, but that is very silly not having the GPU separate, all except one of our non laptop computers have big ( quiet ) GPUs with fans and lots of RAM just for themselves, gets quite toasty when more than one of the computers is transcoding videos. I'd hate to have your UK electricity prices at the moment.

Back