Grinding jigs etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tony,

I've use a Scheppach Tiger 2000 with Tormek jigs for about 12 months now with very few problems. I bought the Tormek "woodturners set" of jigs as this contained most of what I wanted. The one thing that doesn't work with the Scheppach is the set of profiled leather honing wheels from Tormek, as the fitting on the honing end of the shaft is different.

The gouge jig works just fine, as does the skew chisel/roughing gouge/etc jig and the scraper platform. The Tormek plastic angle setter also works. Even the Tormek machine cover fits!

I've also recently bought the medium knife jig which works fine - except for with drawknives where the thumbscrews on the top of the machine get in the way - so I replaced these with flatter hex-head bolts and use an 11mm socket for adjustments - which solved this problem.

Don't bother buying the Tormek axe jig, though - unless you only want to sharpen very small modern axes! It's useless for anything of more than small hatchet size.

I upgraded my Scheppach wheel to a Peters Childs Microcrystalline version which is harder than the supplied wheel, so last longer when sharpening HSS turning tools.

I haven't bothered getting the special diamond stone truing device, and just use a cheap little diamond-covered block on a handle (sold for truing dry grindstones) on the rare-ish occasions I feel the need to true the stone.

I did get a local blacksmith to make me up a second support rail, though - so I can have two fitted at once and leave the platform fitted on the top bar and set for scrapers, and the bottom bar available for everything else.

The one thing I don't know is whether the Tormek "upgrade" to micro-adjustment of the rails will fit the Scheppach machines - although I'm now very used to using the machine without this feature.

Hope this helps

Tekno.mage

Thanks for that (only) response, it's very useful.

I spoke to a supplier today who won't totally commit himself, but he reckons that what fits the Jet should fit the Tormek as basically he thinks Jet is a Chaiwanese version of the Tormek with a few minor modifications.

Might be a worthwhile experiment anyway.

Anybody tried the Jet stuff on either the Sheppach or the Tormek?

Tony Spear":31qble6v said:
Thanks for that (only) response, it's very useful.

I spoke to a supplier today who won't totally commit himself, but he reckons that what fits the Jet should fit the Tormek as basically he thinks Jet is a Chaiwanese version of the Tormek with a few minor modifications.

Might be a worthwhile experiment anyway.

Anybody tried the Jet stuff on either the Sheppach or the Tormek?

What are you sharpening ?

HSS Turning tools

Plane irons

Carpentry chisels

??????????????????????

:lol:

Blister,

Sorry for late reply - been poorly.

Basically all of them, but none of them very often, so I'm looking for most economic all round system.

If I did it often enough I'd obviously go for the Pro-Edge, but can't justify that.

After much investigation it appears that the most economic solution is going to be Sheppach with a mix of Sheppach/Jet/Tormek jigs.

I'm not too good at freehand on gouges, due to physical limitations and all my life I've been a pipper for burning stuff with high speed grinders!

Tony Spear":2ogwecow said:
I'm not too good at freehand on gouges, due to physical limitations and all my life I've been a pipper for burning stuff with high speed grinders!

Then be aware that if you grind HSS turning gouges, especially narrow contact types like Bowl Gouges you will quickly grove the soft wheels on the wet grinders even with care. This renders them very quickly less than ideal for sharpening flat blades, especially wide ones such as Plane Blades, without you dress the wheels flat again.

If you counteract this limitation by changing the wheel to a harder substance as per Tekno.mage I can't see it being an 'economy' solution.

Yes Chas, I found the wheel that comes supplied with the Scheppach is very soft indeed (I believe the as supplied Tormek wheel is rather soft as well) and grinding HSS gouges on it swiftly wears a groove in the centre :cry: Hence my upgrade to a harder wheel - which when I did it was around £65. I kept the softer wheel intending to use it for things like plane blades and wide chisels, but in fact haven't done this yet.

It may be rather bad practise, but I find that I can flatten my Peter Child's wheel (which still eventually takes a slight groove in the middle when you sharpen a lot of gouges) very effectively by sharpening something like an axe or drawknife on it - moving a very wide blade like that across the whole stone soon wears down any high spots and neither of these items need a very critical grind. I'd rather resharpen my firewood axe than waste the stone using a diamond dresser to flatten it if I don't have to! I imagine the same idea would work on a softer stone too.

tekno.mage

tekno.mage

tekno.mage":s7qgy75c said:
.....It may be rather bad practise, but I find that I can flatten my Peter Child's wheel (which still eventually takes a slight groove in the middle when you sharpen a lot of gouges) very effectively by sharpening something like an axe or drawknife on it - moving a very wide blade like that across the whole stone soon wears down any high spots and neither of these items need a very critical grind. I'd rather resharpen my firewood axe than waste the stone using a diamond dresser to flatten it if I don't have to! I imagine the same idea would work on a softer stone too.
=D> =D> =D> Now that's what I call a practical approach to a problem, like Mark Sanger mentioned in a recent thread on another subject any method that does the job economically and effectively is a good one.

Thought it better to add here than start a new thread. I have the tiger 2500 and the tormek turners kit.

I did get the honing wheels fitted by putting on the same side as the main wheel, is this a bad idea?

Also the wheel does appear rather soft, and mine was very untrue to start with, so looks like a diamond dressing stone is in order. Does the tormek one work on scheppach even without the micro adjuster?

Also my wheel is a grey "A 220 P V", rather than the blue versions i have seen, should i upgrade to a blue wheel, or a tormek wheel?

Finally, my stone grader wore a rather large concave hole in itself rather quickly. Is this normal? It means my grader is not flat now for a start, and that was with one 20 second use! Is the wheel perhaps not compatible with the grader?

tekno.mage":1u9qvjot said:
I've use a Scheppach Tiger 2000 with Tormek jigs for about 12 months now with very few problems. I bought the Tormek "woodturners set" of jigs as this contained most of what I wanted. The one thing that doesn't work with the Scheppach is the set of profiled leather honing wheels from Tormek, as the fitting on the honing end of the shaft is different.

Did you try the leather wheel with thread reducer for new shaft?

Back