Great "wrong" words

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RossJarvis":2a7hb5mh said:
DrPhill":2a7hb5mh said:
I like 'mandraulically'. Doing it by hand.

I was fairly certain that Mandraulics is a standard power delivery system used by all mechanical branches of the UK military. I hadn't realised it was "man" from "manual" and thought it was man-power from one to lots of men. Soon to become "person-draulics"

I could be wrong.

I've always thought of these as Artisian wells, I would accept being corrected.
This is a pic of the day it was taken down. Theres a man up the top. he climbed the side pylon and is unbolting the head with no support or straps of any kind.

maybe thats whats known as an Artisan on an Artisian?
IMG_9625_zpsigm74hsa.jpg

Back when i was an apprentice draftsman in an electronics factory i was doing some text to an assembly drawing
when i used the word LOWERMOST as opposite to uppermost.
I was called up in front of my superior when i refused to change it.

My daughter would call a robin a robin rest breast.

Someone once told me there was no such word as drippled. The spell check thinks not too; but I used it once in a short-story, because I thought it described rain drippling down a window pane to a 'T'! :lol:

So the word's in my dictionary. Over to you BB!

John :D

sunnybob":3a29qmay said:
I've always thought of these as Artisian wells, I would accept being corrected.

From Geography lessons {cough} decades ago, I thought artesian wells flowed freely from the ground without the need for a pump?

A friend many years ago sunk wells for a living, and he was asked to sink one somewhere he was quite sure there was no water. He called out the diviner he usually used and he had a twitch and said yes, go ahead there's plenty there. He was very unsure but had never found the guy to be wrong. He found water, finished the job and headed off for the weekend. He got a phone call on the Monday morning asking him to come back - what's the problem, he asked, expecting to be told it had run dry. No, the opposite, the property owner said, we're flooding the road. They'd hit an Artesian.

For years my wife used to believe the words I sang were correct - " Eleanor Rigby picking her nose in the church when there's nobody there" :)

Rod

well. (well, get it?), I have learnt something today. that "artisian well" is actually a multi bladed wind pump.
Who'd a thunk it?

I can't find any reference to artisian well, only artesian, in which the water rises to or above ground level of it's own volition.

I'm always surprised how many out of work legal professionals you see working at Starbucks or Costa and the like. They must really like their coffee. All that education and training must cost a fair bit I'm guessing. And you'd need to be fairly bright to do all those exams and pysically fit! No idea what it entails but 'sitting the bar' sounds both exhausting and painful. Rather than defend the innocent in court, or be moved to smite wickedness though, there they all are with 'Barrista' embroidered on their shirts. Some of them are 'Trainee Barristas'. Haven't
finished legal college probably.
Strange though.

Undeniably lower-class people that pronounce 'chorizo' properly, in some vain attempt to falsify their level of sophistication.

NazNomad":1bcsocjq said:
Undeniably lower-class people that pronounce 'chorizo' properly, in some vain attempt to falsify their level of sophistication.

What's a Chorizo? Is it a Portuguese Choir? Or a funny way to spell sausage?

It's a choir of heavenly sausages, I think.

Now, it's very rural where I live and I was just saying that I hadn't been anywhere today.
OH said, ''you went up the road''

Me: Oh yeah, but that was just like Deliverance.

I meant delivering, as I'd taken some eggs to a neighbour. :-D

Wait, I can hear banjos, keep paddling.

Back