Great "wrong" words

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In response to AES...

... There's a children's book by Jill Murphy, "Five Minutes Peace", that we read to ours when they were little*. It is quite wonderful.

She explains the process of getting ready for school in one sentence: "The children hurry slowly."

It's in common use in our family.

E.

*I think one reason they loved it in was because it made mummy and daddy crease up.

Just remembered; A Dad at the judo club said his son was; "biting at the chomp" to get back on the mat after injury.

Also, my bro mentioned his Sales Manager would close a meeting with;

"so, without further adieu..."

and his M-i-L likes a drop of "Tina Marie" after dinner. (The left overs of which would have been covered with "cling-foil"

Nelsun":trjw932z said:
Our youngest coined "accididn't".

Me: Did you enjoy your peanut butter on toast? And why is peanut butter smeared across the TV screen? Was that you?

Boy Wonder: No, it was an accididn't.

God love him!

That's lovely, bless the little tyke :)

Living in Wales, the phrase ''whose boots are these shoes?'' is a good one.

Many will I'm sure know the Rad 4 programme "I'm sorry I haven't a clue" ("Come back Humph, all is forgiven"). Among the regular slots in each show was "The Uxbridge English Dictionary" in which the likes of Frank Muir and Dennis Norden changed 1 letter to make a silly (and often very funny) new word.

Can't think of any examples off hand, sorry, but great stuff and well worth a bit of a search through the BBC Radio web site archives.

AES

We had a large 30 ft high artisian well with a 12 ft fan right next to our house. My 3 year old grandson, every time it started turning in the wind, would run around to watch shouting "Mickey! Mickey!"
we never found out why. He's 6 now and the windmill is gone, so thats a forever mystery.

sunnybob":3rvk9e7x said:
We had a large 30 ft high artisian well with a 12 ft fan right next to our house. My 3 year old grandson, every time it started turning in the wind, would run around to watch shouting "Mickey! Mickey!"
we never found out why. He's 6 now and the windmill is gone, so thats a forever mystery.
Find out or I may never sleep again! My brain can't handle unresolved issues!!

keep calm, dont panic.
But sorry, its now history, and he cant remember anything about it.

he did it on 3 seperate visits in the one year, and even his mum couldnt find out why it was a mickey.

Apparently I used to call cash registers " cabbages wisters" and a good friend of mine at agricultural college wrote about " nitrogen fixing rissoles" in an exam, which still makes me smile...........dom :D :D :D

There is a hill close to us called Carn Brea (a tautology, actually, as both words mean hill) that my boy always loved, and he would sooner go there to play than the beach. He always asked to go to up Normy - years later no one ever found out why it became known as "Normy" - it is to this day.

You have reminded me of something I said when younger that caused me much ridicule. I still think it is logical: I heard 'RSJ' as 'Irish J' - because it is 'H' shape in cross section (and our builder was Jim Kilpatrick ;-).

DrPhill":r9z3lhxh said:
I like 'mandraulically'. Doing it by hand.

I was fairly certain that Mandraulics is a standard power delivery system used by all mechanical branches of the UK military. I hadn't realised it was "man" from "manual" and thought it was man-power from one to lots of men. Soon to become "person-draulics"

When I ran an engineering workshop, the process of incorrectly working on an item was known as "Mullerisation" The action of doing this was "Mullering" and when doing it often it was known as "Mullerfacturing". We had a few "Mullerers" and produced a number of "Mullered" Items. I think this is not uncommon.

sunnybob":1stxuk8g said:

Nothing to do with words, but just curious as to what the windmill was for on an artesian well.?

Back