Graduate Lathe Tail stock seized

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigEars

Reaction score
I have just been given a rather old graduate lathe. I find that the tail stock is seized solid. Any suggestions on how to release it. I have tried using stilsons on the screw thread but to no avail

The main spindle has a thread on the end which the wheel which has a nut in the middle turns on the spindle
the spindle is keyed into the body
no amount of turning the screw thread will release the spindle....you must use the wheel

lots of penetrating oil or spray will do it
just in front of the handwheel is a half round "key" theres a small screw to remove and this key will come out..upwards then by tapping the spindle back into the body the handwheel will come out a bit it may release better then
the spindle once the handwheel has been removed will come forwards and slide out of the body
then the screw on the top which stops the spindle rotating will unscrew into the body where the spindle was
this screw has a flat ground onto it so it fits into the slot in the spindle

Hope this helps
Ian

Ian, many thanks. Just one further question about the tail stock. At the front end where it emerges from the casting the spindle has a groove. This groove is diametrically opposite the small knurled locking screw. Is this correct?

Hi once again, I have answered my question above. I did find the half round key, screw was missing and I just could not remove it. I have fixed
the problem by following your advice about penetrating oil over several days and a wire brush on the screw thread of spindle.

haven't been able to turn the wheel to the very end of the spindle other than that it works

Back