got bitten by a black dog today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rorschach":7s5x0145 said:
Bm101":7s5x0145 said:
Why muzzle all dogs? I had a 6 stone alsatian bear mastiff cross some years ago. I only had to click my fingers for him to come to heel. Lovely friendly dog. The little kids in the village used to ride him like a horse. Same dog also pinned some scrote to the wall who tried to harrass my Mrs and scared her half to death late at night while out for a walk. Same dog used to come to work with me in North Wales, at the end of the day we'd wander up to the hills and sit down and I know for a fact he was enjoying the view. The dog was intelligent and knew his place. More intelligent than a lot of people I have met tbh. Issue is with idiots who shouldn't own dogs. Always has been.

As has been said many times here before "never normally like that". It only takes one time for a dog to do something and the consequences could be horrific. In public, all dogs should be muzzled, doesn't do them any harm at all. If you don't want to muzzle your dog that's fine, just keep it at home and exercise it on private land.

So you want to muzzle guide dogs, hearing dogs, personal assistance dogs and presumably police dogs just because of isolated incidents? There will always be risk in life, you cannot evade it but at least balance your opinion against the benefits animals and dogs in particular bring to to us supposed superior beings. Sorry I forgot hospital / hospice visiting dogs. I do not condone animal attacks of any sort but the responsibility lies with the owner/ handler so address the cause not the effect. I have owned border collies, rotweillers and lately a black lab. If any of my dogs had attacked anyone in anything other than protecting their family then I would expect to be prosecuted and I would have the dog out down.

Report it. Its possibly done it before and if not, it likely will another time - could be a kids face, next... I had to report one some months back.

Glynne":1g0cdpk8 said:
Rorschach":1g0cdpk8 said:
Bm101":1g0cdpk8 said:
Why muzzle all dogs? I had a 6 stone alsatian bear mastiff cross some years ago. I only had to click my fingers for him to come to heel. Lovely friendly dog. The little kids in the village used to ride him like a horse. Same dog also pinned some scrote to the wall who tried to harrass my Mrs and scared her half to death late at night while out for a walk. Same dog used to come to work with me in North Wales, at the end of the day we'd wander up to the hills and sit down and I know for a fact he was enjoying the view. The dog was intelligent and knew his place. More intelligent than a lot of people I have met tbh. Issue is with idiots who shouldn't own dogs. Always has been.

As has been said many times here before "never normally like that". It only takes one time for a dog to do something and the consequences could be horrific. In public, all dogs should be muzzled, doesn't do them any harm at all. If you don't want to muzzle your dog that's fine, just keep it at home and exercise it on private land.

So you want to muzzle guide dogs, hearing dogs, personal assistance dogs and presumably police dogs just because of isolated incidents? There will always be risk in life, you cannot evade it but at least balance your opinion against the benefits animals and dogs in particular bring to to us supposed superior beings. Sorry I forgot hospital / hospice visiting dogs. I do not condone animal attacks of any sort but the responsibility lies with the owner/ handler so address the cause not the effect. I have owned border collies, rotweillers and lately a black lab. If any of my dogs had attacked anyone in anything other than protecting their family then I would expect to be prosecuted and I would have the dog out down.

Guide dogs etc, no they need to be able to use their mouths, same for police dogs, kind of the idea really. But of course you knew that and are just being facetious.
I am talking about the everyday public taking their dog out for a walk in the local park/woods etc. Wearing a muzzle is no issue for them, I see plenty wearing muzzles when I am out walking as it is, dog is perfectly happy and you can let off the lead as you wish with no fear of it causing harm. Sure it could jump on someone and scare them, but it can't bite them or worse kill them.

No I actually wasn't being facetious. I was trying to say that I think you're over-reacting. No idea of your experience of dogs but I did, albeit a long time ago, qualify a puppy for the obedience at Crufts. I'm no expert but even if you did manage to enact that all dogs had to be muzzled, then how are you going to police it? We can't even police people's using mobile phones when they are driving. Can't see the DPP doing me for my black lab not wearing a muzzle!
We are agreed that 1 dog attack is 1 too many, but what are you losing when a nervous child can't have a lick and a stroke from a well controlled dog? As has been said earlier, the penalty should be on the owner and not the dog.

As a former law enforcement officer from the U.S., absolutely report the attack and seek medical attention for the bite. I don't know about tetanus, but there are more things to worry about with animal bites. There's no telling what the dog had been eating before the attack, or what could have been introduced into the wound.

I responded to over two dozen dog attacks, from small to large dogs. Only once did I have to shoot the dog (a large mixed breed) because it was still aggressive when I responded and the owner did not have and could not gain control of it. This was unfortunate, but public safety takes precedence. Not surprisingly, the owner stated her dog had never done that before.

The Animal Control Officer always asks the owner for the immunization records for the animal. In about half of the incidents I responded to, the owners either admitted the dog was not current on immunizations, or could not produce the proof. At that time, the animals are quarantined for tests and observation at the owner's expense.

Glynne":he216eoo said:
Rorschach":he216eoo said:
Bm101":he216eoo said:

Not to mention the fact that you still have to train your dog in public. If you want your dog to behave when it meets a new person, or to not pull on it's lead, or to sit when you're waiting to cross the road, or to come back if you let it off you need to give it treats when it does what you want.

Is Rorschach suggesting you're supposed to take the muzzle off every time you treat it? If so, it'll just think that you're treating it because it let you take the muzzle off. That's just a recipe for dogs that behave badly across the board in public. If certain people can't control their dogs then they need to either not have them, or learn to train them responsibly. The idea that the many need to suffer for the mistakes of the few is a pervasive one these days and it's ridiculous.

What's next, all old people aren't allowed to drive because a certain amount of them aren't alert enough to control a car responsibly?

Ok, so how about mandatory insurance then should your dog bite someone. We have to have it for driving cars and owning a home why not for dogs too? As you wanted all the onus is on the owner and there is incentive to make sure your dog is well trained and under control.

The owner should definitely be reported and the dog assessed, it might be a child next time.

We own a labrador puppy, our second and she who know how to bite and not a bad bone in her body although even with that confidence she is always under control and it is our responsibility to ensure that is the case.

As an aside, people are thick! There is a local field with public footpath used every day by a number of people including kids. A few days ago a walker with her 10 year old yorkshire terrier encountered a swarm of bees which had settled on a cow pat. The woman was badly stung and the dog was killed by the bees. Where the stupidity is involved is that the bees had been seen by a number of people over a couple of days and no-one had the commonsense to report it or stick up a notice, they could after all have seriously harmed a child.

My wife uses that path and occasionally takes my 4 year old granddaughter, I dread to think!

Bob

>Report and sue, absolutely. Personally I think all dogs should have to wear a muzzle when out in public, no >excuses. I have been attacked or come close to it many times now. At least if a dog is muzzled it can't do you >much harm and it doesn't hurt the dog to wear one at all.

I whole-heartedly agree! I had a big dog that I always kept muzzled in public. Strangely, members of the Public would often berate me for having a dangerous dog, and were baffled when I would explain to tham that No, it's your UNmuzzled dog that's dangerous; mine is perfectly safe and even defenceless whilst wearing a muzzle. (The reason for the muzzle was that the dog was a terrible scavenger, and on our second or third walk un leashed on the beach it found a heap of fish guts and heads which it bolted down before I could prevent it. That night, it recycled the lot onto the utility room floor.)
The basket type of muzzles allow a dog to pant, drink and bark.

The fabric type, The "mikki", do not allow a dog these freedoms, and in my view their useage should be confined to Vets, as I have seen dogs in great distress caused by these muzzles in hot weather.

I once walked past a property with a pillar box outside. Whilst posting my letter out comes a dog through the open gate and bit my leg, although only superficially. I protested to the moronic owner in a reasonably polite manner, that I ought to be able to walk along the Queen's highway and use a public letter box thereon, free of molestation and would he please shut his gate in future to contain the animal?
The unapologetic owner retorted in the surliest manner, adding that it would be tiresome to be having to open and close his gate all the time (why have an gate then??), nor would he entertain my request to trouble himself with such an inconvenience.
So my next destination was the police station to make a complaint. They never said what they would do about the incident, but next time I passed the house - the gate was shut!
So I would say, go and complain in such instances and get an incident number. A quiet discussion between the owner and a PC may well do some good and if not, there is a record for the future.

Limey Lurker":28hu8nos said:
>Report and sue, absolutely. Personally I think all dogs should have to wear a muzzle when out in public, no >excuses. I have been attacked or come close to it many times now. At least if a dog is muzzled it can't do you >much harm and it doesn't hurt the dog to wear one at all.

I whole-heartedly agree! I had a big dog that I always kept muzzled in public. Strangely, members of the Public would often berate me for having a dangerous dog, and were baffled when I would explain to tham that No, it's your UNmuzzled dog that's dangerous; mine is perfectly safe and even defenceless whilst wearing a muzzle. (The reason for the muzzle was that the dog was a terrible scavenger, and on our second or third walk un leashed on the beach it found a heap of fish guts and heads which it bolted down before I could prevent it. That night, it recycled the lot onto the utility room floor.)

The fabric type, The "mikki", do not allow a dog these freedoms, and in my view their useage should be confined to Vets, as I have seen dogs in great distress caused by these muzzles in hot weather.

Common sense at last from a dog owner! Thank you.

Rorschach":82gombzd said:
Limey Lurker":82gombzd said:

Common sense at last from a dog owner! Thank you.

And while they're at it, some of those morons in certain areas should be muzzled as well, dog owners or not :roll:

I don't agree that all dogs should be muzzled as the vast majority are owned and loved by responsible owners who keep them under control. I was kicked by a horse once, on a public highway so maybe they need to wear padding on their hooves? I was attacked by a seagull many years ago so perhaps they should all be shot. Some of the local kids play football in the street and broke a window last year, just kids, many of us did the same all those years ago doesn't mean they should be locked in the house or fitted with ball and chains. :wink:

Over reaction to the problems caused by the minority, report him so he gets a warning and will think twice next time. We have a neighbour with a Jack Russell, nice dog but the lazy git kicks it out the door last thing at night rather than take it for a walk, a word in the guys ear from a couple of us soon put him on the right track.

Stray dogs are a different matter and I firmly believe that all breeders should be licenced and controlled to stop the puppy farms and individuals breeding indiscriminately for profit and no care for the consequences which are often dumped dogs a few months down the line.

Off a lead in a public place- muzzle them.
On a lead in public, keep away or its at your own risk !
683c9a3466e08c4140125b60edd13b69.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've got the medical stuff sorted out, will need to go on anti biotics and had a tetanus jab, I am going to report him after much thought, it's not easy and it's caused me a lot of stress, but it has to be done.

Good for you Tyreman, and sue the owners yourself in what was the 'Small Claims' court. I had to do this when my dog was injured by two dogs who escaped from their owner's garden. The owner kept telling me they had no money but all of a sudden a week or so before the case, I had a call from their solicitor.

I got all the cost of vet's bills, my loss of earnings, court fees and a 'Ex Gratia' payment for my trouble. Altogether well over £1,200. If you get to a point where the other side's solicitor contacts you, play hardball. They don't want to attend a court often many miles from where they are (in my case they were instructed by and insurance company and were based in Colchester) and loose. It looks bad for their figures!

Phil

garethharvey":185t81h6 said:
Why so many members suggesting that he sue the dog owner?

How will this resolve things?

Totally agree with you here garethharvey. Seems a standard response these days of monetising a situation under the guise that a greater good for society is performed and someone will be taught a lesson by someone else getting some cash in the process.

thetyreman":e9620ph3 said:
I've got the medical stuff sorted out, will need to go on anti biotics and had a tetanus jab, I am going to report him after much thought, it's not easy and it's caused me a lot of stress, but it has to be done.

Pleas4ed to hear that you have the medical check and hope all goes well.
It's the right way to go to report him and can only save others.
Malcolm

shed9":17f2mhk0 said:
garethharvey":17f2mhk0 said:
Why so many members suggesting that he sue the dog owner?

How will this resolve things?

Totally agree with you here garethharvey. Seems a standard response these days of monetising a situation under the guise that a greater good for society is performed and someone will be taught a lesson by someone else getting some cash in the process.

+1

That's why we have a culture of fake whiplash and crash for cash claims which costs all of us in insurance premiums. The real winners are the solicitors who charge extortionate fees, certainly making enough money to pay for expensive prime time TV advertising.

By all means report him so a PC will have a word in his shell like

While being attacked by a dog is not something I would wish on anyone the level of retaliatory aggression being promoted by some on this thread is deeply dispiriting. Under the usual moralising / greater public good cover. I know little about dogs but I do know what gleeful and disproportionate vengeance smells like. Some of you need to get a grip. The dog owner is a stranger to us all. You shouldn't just assume that he represents all you hate/fear and pile in accordingly like kids in playground kicking the floored loser in a fight.

Latest posts

Back