got bitten by a black dog today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DoctorWibble":udysshdq said:
While being attacked by a dog is not something I would wish on anyone the level of retaliatory aggression being promoted by some on this thread is deeply dispiriting. Under the usual moralising / greater public good cover. I know little about dogs but I do know what gleeful and disproportionate vengeance smells like. Some of you need to get a grip. The dog owner is a stranger to us all. You shouldn't just assume that he represents all you hate/fear and pile in accordingly like kids in playground kicking the floored loser in a fight.

This is the other side of the argument, and I must say, we dont know all the facts, althoigh a dog running up and biting somebody is quite extreme behaviour, but theres a chance the dog maybe a rescue one with a traumatic previous life.

My dog has developed quite bad lead aggression and its been impossible to train her out of it. Its made worse by tbe fact she seems really sweet to people and those with other dogs love to come up and then get a real shock when she starts snarling badly. Some people automatically view it as bad owners, but no amount of training prevents it happening.

Dogs are pack animals. And potentially hostile to those not in their pack. Humans are the same. I guess you can train either to supress those instincts but maybe never wholly reliably.

just to conclude the thread he got a warning from the police and was reported, but I am not taking legal action, I think he's got the message, the dog has to wear a muzzle and be on a lead in the park, so I think that's a good result.

thetyreman":1pxdbvxj said:
just to conclude the thread he got a warning from the police and was reported, but I am not taking legal action, I think he's got the message, the dog has to wear a muzzle and be on a lead in the park, so I think that's a good result.

Good result, well done!

shed9":3gyee52m said:
garethharvey":3gyee52m said:
Why so many members suggesting that he sue the dog owner?

How will this resolve things?

Totally agree with you here garethharvey. Seems a standard response these days of monetising a situation under the guise that a greater good for society is performed and someone will be taught a lesson by someone else getting some cash in the process.

Because being fined by the police for an offense, or by the HMRC for not doing your tax returns, or corporations being fined by the govt for breaches of XYZ isn't the standard way of making people people pay for their transgressions instead of going to jail and isn't what happens every day of the week in the majority of first world societies.....

Just how naive are you? And yes, there are quite a few people who will think "bloody hell that cost me a lot of money, I won't be doing that twice, so a "greater good" result IS acheived.

Whether it was the first time that dog did this or not, making the owner pay a chunk of money will be a significant reminder to MAKE SURE IT NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN to anyone, adult OR CHILD.

shed9":2h51di3g said:
garethharvey":2h51di3g said:

Totally agree with you here garethharvey. Seems a standard response these days of monetising a situation under the guise that a greater good for society is performed and someone will be taught a lesson by someone else getting some cash in the process.

So the next time someone crashes into your car I hope you will take it on the chin and not bother to claim on their insurance. After all, it's the same thing.

I think this is a case...... of once bitten, twice shy, sorry :)

Seriously, you should report to police, next time could be a mum with buggy and toddler, you hear reports on the media of how vicious those attack dogs are, when they get hold of a small child. Was it a certain breed or just scruffy looking mongrel? Was the owner educated type, or thicko?

RogerS":319d1r5p said:
shed9":319d1r5p said:
garethharvey":319d1r5p said:

So the next time someone crashes into your car I hope you will take it on the chin and not bother to claim on their insurance. After all, it's the same thing.

Sorry, but I disagree, he quoted: "thankfully I'm ok and feel fine, just slightly saw with a couple of teeth marks where it pierced the skin."

Why the hell would anyone feel that chasing the dog owner for money would help. In this case it wouldn't, it's sad to see so many people that think it would.

If a car hit me, it would be a different ball game, I would be financially out of pocket. I would need to claim. Ambulance chasers are a pain in the buttocks, they do nothing other than clog up our health service with fictitious injuries, and we all eventually have to pay for their compensation.

I have said for many years, we are getting more and more like the US, laws there are ridiculous, the UK is quickly becoming like it.

I'm a great animal lover I used to help out at the local dog rescue. I can't resist giving a friendly, docile looking dog a pat, I always say to the owner first, friendly?

That said, I once saw this guy sitting on a bench with his dog sitting on the ground next to him. I said, friendly, and he says sure, next thing, grr, grr tried to take my fingers off but I was quicker.
Uum, can't understand why some people are like that.
This was in a pedestrian precinct full of Saturday shoppers, lots of little kids.

garethharvey":7p6fube0 said:
RogerS":7p6fube0 said:
shed9":7p6fube0 said:

Sorry, but I disagree, he quoted: "thankfully I'm ok and feel fine, just slightly saw with a couple of teeth marks where it pierced the skin."

Why the hell would anyone feel that chasing the dog owner for money would help. In this case it wouldn't, it's sad to see so many people that think it would.

If a car hit me, it would be a different ball game, I would be financially out of pocket. I would need to claim. Ambulance chasers are a pain in the buttocks, they do nothing other than clog up our health service with fictitious injuries, and we all eventually have to pay for their compensation.

I have said for many years, we are getting more and more like the US, laws there are ridiculous, the UK is quickly becoming like it.

Let me ask you this question. Are you employed by someone or self-employed? I have no idea about the OP but when I was self-employed..all the going and froing would cost me money. So why should I not sue for lost earnings ? Or sue for the discomfort etc.

Not a bite, but dog related and compensation.

A friend was out walking her dog last December. She met someone we both know and both the dogs started running around/playing. Next thing the other owners dog slammed into her and knocked her down. Broke her ankle in 3 places. Dr's told her she wouldn't be back at work until Sept of this year - ruined her xmas...

She sort compensation from her own insurance and the Dogs owner as she has liability insurance. It turns out she couldn't claim anything due to some law/act where she'd need to find someone else who has also had the same problem with the dog running into them or being a nuisance!

She only had a small income as it is, its cost her dearly. Her injury will also affect her for the rest of her life.

So its not all so glamorous when people think compensation is so easily claimed.

iNewbie":32uuv3k7 said:

A friend was out walking her dog last December. She met someone we both know and both the dogs started running around/playing. Next thing the other owners dog slammed into her and knocked her down. Broke her ankle in 3 places. Dr's told her she wouldn't be back at work until Sept of this year - ruined her xmas...

She sort [sought] compensation from her own insurance and the Dogs owner as she has liability insurance. It turns out she couldn't claim anything due to some law/act where she'd need to find someone else who has also had the same problem with the dog running into them or being a nuisance!

She only had a small income as it is, its cost her dearly. Her injury will also affect her for the rest of her life.

So its not all so glamorous when people think compensation is so easily claimed.

She should seek a private claim through the small claims court for that, it'll be an easy matter to prove loss of earnings as she'll be on sick pay. It might have been a genuine accident, but that doesn't alter the fact her financial siutation has taken a big hit, the best part of a year is a long time to be laid up on minimal pay.

@garethharvey - you mention about "ambulance chasers costing the taxpayer for suprious claims" - how does a "spurious claim" relate to an actual injury requiring medical attention, not to mention damage to property? I'm completely baffled by your attitude of "it's ok mate don't worry about it" for something so serious.

This ISN'T about the money, it's about making people accountable and making a financial claim is the only legal way to do it.

To repeat myself and the majority of the other comments, this was a stranger walking his dog in a public area and that dog then made an unprovoked attack on another person in the park and yet....

and yet..... you seem to be defending this dog owners probable position of "I shouldn't be made to pay damages, it was just a small bite, what's your peoblem?"

and now that I recall, this is in addition to another forum member mentioning only a few months back about being harassed by another dog because he had a walking stick, something which the owner KNEW WAS A TRIGGER FOR HIS DOG and did NOTHING to prevent it.

I love dogs, and many other animals and I am 100% a believer in specific dog breeds not being labelled - I know three totally soppy sweet natured dogs who probably wouldn't even attack a burglar.... One is an un-neutered Staffie male, one is a Bull Terrier puppy and the last is a Rottweiler so large I could probably ride him.

All are owned by people who made sure they started training early, and this is what it ultimately comes down to and most people don't do; instead relying on a breeds "natural docility" to come to the fore rather than making sure.

rafezetter":3abvoso3 said:
iNewbie":3abvoso3 said:

She sort [sought] compensation from her own insurance and the Dogs owner as she has liability insurance. It turns out she couldn't claim anything due to some law/act where she'd need to find someone else who has also had the same problem with the dog running into them or being a nuisance!

She should seek a private claim through the small claims court for that, it'll be an easy matter to prove loss of earnings as she'll be on sick pay. It might have been a genuine accident, but that doesn't alter the fact her financial siutation has taken a big hit, the best part of a year is a long time to be laid up on minimal pay.

@garethharvey - you mention about "ambulance chasers costing the taxpayer for suprious claims" - how does a "spurious claim" relate to an actual injury requiring medical attention, not to mention damage to property? I'm completely baffled by your attitude of "it's ok mate don't worry about it" for something so serious.

This ISN'T about the money, it's about making people accountable and making a financial claim is the only legal way to do it.

To repeat myself and the majority of the other comments, this was a stranger walking his dog in a public area and that dog then made an unprovoked attack on another person in the park and yet....

and yet..... you seem to be defending this dog owners probable position of "I shouldn't be made to pay damages, it was just a small bite, what's your peoblem?"

and now that I recall, this is in addition to another forum member mentioning only a few months back about being harassed by another dog because he had a walking stick, something which the owner KNEW WAS A TRIGGER FOR HIS DOG and did NOTHING to prevent it.

I love dogs, and many other animals and I am 100% a believer in specific dog breeds not being labelled - I know three totally soppy sweet natured dogs who probably wouldn't even attack a burglar.... One is an un-neutered Staffie male, one is a Bull Terrier puppy and the last is a Rottweiler so large I could probably ride him.

All are owned by people who made sure they started training early, and this is what it ultimately comes down to and most people don't do; instead relying on a breeds "natural docility" to come to the fore rather than making sure.

Sensible words here.

rafezetter":2ehm8875 said:

I'll have a word with her so she can look into it. Thanks - I bumped into her this morning and its the first time she's seen the woman and her dog again. Made her feel sick. The woman put the dog on its lead when she saw her,......it'd only just ran down to another woman and her dogs!

Sad thing is, her husband had a heart attack yesterday. Wouldn't surprise me its due to all the stress he's been under.

Years ago I had a Pyrenean puppy. One day she was sleeping in the garden when I saw (I happened to look out behind a curtain) an old man with a collie on a lead walking up the main road outside. As he approached my gateposts, he slipped the lead and signalled the dog to jump the hedge. The collie duly jumped into the garden and proceeded to throttle the poor puppy, until I ran out and kicked it - at which point I was berated by the man for kicking his dog. I replied that it wouldn't have happened if he hadn't slipped the dog's lead - he denied having done it, and warned me that there'd be trouble if I attacked his dog again.
Annnnyway ... eighteen months later the Pyrenean was a rather large puppy. :D She was sunbathing in much the same spot as she did when she was a pup. I saw her just open one eye, look at the same old man with the same collie ... yep, you got it ... She leaped the hedge, upended the dog and pinned it in the ditch by the throat in what seemed one single movement. Get the brute off, get the brute off ... I called her in. Oh, my poor baby, my poor baby he said as he nursed the collie's wounded pride.
From there on I didn't once see him on our side of the road. :lol: I don't know to this day why he did what he did in the first place. Some owners are odd.

can we lock this down mods? I honestly can't see how anymore can be said, and it was resolved a while ago now.

Why do we need to lock it down. I've learnt from this. If it offends you don't read it - I honestly don't mean that to sound rude.

Back