Good Woodworking Magazine - What the....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure Steve's point about people not willing to pay for IP is right. I pay for my music and films etc and don't download dodgy copies even though I could easily do so.

However I am less and less inclined to pay for magazines due to the lack of information contained within. Ok this months article that I posted was extreme but there is less and less information in the magazine that interests me.

For example I thought that they might have covered the new Kapex saw in some detail this month, but no, it doesn't even get a mention, yet I can watch David Staunton in Australia giving a great review of it in great detail. As an aside that hasn't cost me anything.

Also times are changing people can watch high quality videos from skilled people for nothing. That's not about choosing to get it for free that's about choosing the best medium for me. Also some of these youtubers do very nicely out of it. If you don't believe me google "stampie cat" and his income. He's a local guy and makes around $5 million a year from his YouTube videos of him playing minecraft. Yes you read that right 5 million dollars to a bloke sat in a flat in Havant who plays minecraft. So let's not assume that all the YouTubers are giving it away and undercutting writers, they have just found a different model. Steve maybe you should consider YouTube for your dvd's? It might be a better revenue source?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mother subscribed me to this magazine for Christmas a year ago. It routinely has articles showing badly made (and usually worse painted) stuff like toys and spice racks. Plus they recycle articles from years ago and publish tool reviews that are invariably uncritical. The magazines have been dumbed down. I suspect there is a lack of people who actually know what they are talking about who are willing to write for a pittance.

Good Woodworking used to be the best magazine for thorough, unbiased tool and machinery reviews when it first started many years ago. Its what I based all my purchases on when I took up woodworking as a hobby. Nowadays I use experience and the thoughts of forum users such as on here. Occasionally I will buy a magazine if I can open it up and have a quick squint before I purchase it. All the magazines now seem to give a very cursory review or a two page glowing article and then you flip over a page or 2 and there is a full page advert. These so called reviews appear to be more a paid for editorial than a review. Then a few days or weeks later forum users start to post reviews and that's when all the downsides of a new product come out, some of them pretty obvious, that the magazine review has totally ignored.
I have recently bought a new scanner and I am about to scan the interesting articles I wish to keep and the mags are getting binned. This will please my wife no end and stop her nagging of me to get rid of them.

Mike

Based on my experiences, the magazine quality is determined by the
a) Qualities of the editor i.e. people, organisational, technical
b) Resources made available to the editor i.e. staff and cash

I suspect the b) is now the dominant influence. I think the magazine owners [investors] demand highest returns possible. It's run by accountant types who are without much care for the product. It's a means to an end, a business, and so it's just a numbers 'game' to them. Production staff are culled, editors hired cheap, editor hours reduced, content budget is slashed - anything to reduce external cash spend to help the bottom line. Of course a) having a decent editor is important who has multidisciplinary skills, but that's hard when a) is dominant.

That's my take on what we are witnessing in our UK magazines, am I wrong?

DiscoStu":2itwtoa3 said:
I'm not sure Steve's point about people not willing to pay for IP is right. I pay for my music and films etc and don't download dodgy copies even though I could easily do so.

I didn't say that no-one was, Stu, just not enough people are. You are one of the good guys, but for every music sale there are dozens, thousands or, for all I know, gazillions of illegal downloads.

DiscoStu":2itwtoa3 said:
Also times are changing people can watch high quality videos from skilled people for nothing. That's not about choosing to get it for free that's about choosing the best medium for me. Also some of these youtubers do very nicely out of it. If you don't believe me google "stampie cat" and his income. He's a local guy and makes around $5 million a year from his YouTube videos of him playing minecraft. Yes you read that right 5 million dollars to a bloke sat in a flat in Havant who plays minecraft. So let's not assume that all the YouTubers are giving it away and undercutting writers, they have just found a different model. Steve maybe you should consider YouTube for your dvd's? It might be a better revenue source?

But Woodwork is not Minecraft and that is a fairly significant difference, I would say!

But you are quite right about the fact that if I really am going to continue, I need to find a more convenient distribution system.

Having spent some time rubbishing magazines here, I will add that I do enjoy browsing through old copies. I never throw them away ( I have some Practical Householder copies from the early 70's, drives my wife nuts. I wonder if they will become valuable in time). I acquired a load of Woodworker and Practical Woodworking mags a while ago, several hundred copies, and I love just browsing through, looking for ideas etc even though they are 20 years or so old. Actually I think they are better for being 20 years old. I also bought a DVD of scanned magazines, which has easy search facilities etc, great for locating specific articles, but for relaxing reading I prefer paper copies. One of these days though, they will have to go to a good home.

K

A ''Good Woodworking'' subscriber?

Badlaa_XFiles.jpg

I'm not sure I agree with you Steve. I think that might have been true 6 years ago but now music is available differently and cheaply. 79p for a track. Or Spotify for free or as I do, pay for Apple Music for £15 a month for music for the whole family.

Not sure the same can happen for wood working but it does seem that printed magazines can't be sustainable without good content and they are not willing to pay for that.

DiscoStu":18pdrg79 said:
My regular monthly copy of good woodworking landed on the mat today. I have just had a quick glance at it and there is a feature called Trolley talk.

It appears to be a two page spread that is essentially screwing 4 casters onto a board to move things around on!

8c4acf9aaa181a10e7895dfe9f5dd88c.jpg

What is going on in the world!

The MK 2 version has a lip around the edge to avoid the trunks slipping off but that's in next months issue and the pulling handle is the following month.

Andy

MK3; Steering, and a little seat, would be handy. MK4: And a string to pull it with. This could run and run!

Please STOP. I'm trying not to laugh out loud as I'm at work and supposed to be working. All your comments are making my eyes water and those around me think I've gone mad as I keep sniggering.

Mick

andersonec":76otb5wk said:
The MK 2 version has a lip around the edge to avoid the trunks slipping off but that's in next months issue and the pulling handle is the following month.

Dammit, now I have to subscribe.

DiscoStu":1mr8wbn2 said:
I'm not sure I agree with you Steve. I think that might have been true 6 years ago but now music is available differently and cheaply. 79p for a track. Or Spotify for free or as I do, pay for Apple Music for £15 a month for music for the whole family.

Not sure the same can happen for wood working but it does seem that printed magazines can't be sustainable without good content and they are not willing to pay for that.

Magazines like fine woodworking sell all you can eat type packages to read all articles theyve publsihed. Good value really

I've subscribed to New Woodworking, then it's change to Woodworking Plans and Projects and now Woodowrking Crafts. In its latest incarnation, they are obviously trying to reach out to a wider audience than just woodworkers as the magazine now covers items such as marquetry, green woodworking, forest management and furniture restoration as well as the traditional features on woodworking projects and equipment reviews. It makes for an interesting read albeit without as much project work and plans as previously. Whether their new approach will pay of, only time will tell.

I actually do really like the diversity in the new iteration of woodworking crafts. It opens up whole areas that haven't really been covered by the mainstream wooddust brigade and for a lot of enthusiasts who live in major cities etc they get a chance to learn about aspects of woodworking they would never come across. For instance marquetry - you really have to delve about and its only the news-sheets from clubs that you can get info from. The only real exposure I've had to green turning etc is through posts by Sheffield Tony etc. I think Tony Bailey is doing a pretty good job and given time it will grow to include more if it is supported by the community

Jacob":142lvqlm said:
MK3; Steering, and a little seat, would be handy. MK4: And a string to pull it with. This could run and run!

See what you did there,,,,,"run and run" #-o

Andy

Wish they would have some easier projects! not everyone has a giant workshop full of kit like Norm`s 9-) I struggled with the Push Stick project last year and still haven`t finished it 9-)

Jez, wish they would do a project on how to design and make a stick. I've had a hoop lying around for ages and just dying to give it a go up and down the street.

Back