Good Woodworking Magazine - What the....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
My regular monthly copy of good woodworking landed on the mat today. I have just had a quick glance at it and there is a feature called Trolley talk.

It appears to be a two page spread that is essentially screwing 4 casters onto a board to move things around on!

8c4acf9aaa181a10e7895dfe9f5dd88c.jpg

What is going on in the world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... at least he rounded the corners a bit to save your ankles. That's pure woodworking genius that very few people would know about.

awesome .. Just looking how to subscribe now ... does it give a good level of technical detail on the bearing or castor type that could match assorted weights?

My silverline trolley that does 500kg was only £7 on ebay but dayum ...if old inline skates or skateboard wheels could have taken 1000kg then I have seriously messed up :(

I would make one but I can't afford to buy a sanding drum which appears to be essential :roll:

lurker":30meu28a said:
I would make one but I can't afford to buy a sanding drum which appears to be essential :roll:
And why must it be a cordless drill?

I showed my wife and she was slightly gobsmacked and asked if it was the April issue. Alas it's the March issue.

A clever solution that uses a sturdy piece of ply or MDF cut to size, that can then be fitted with castors. Queens award for industry winging it's way there soon. I used to subscribe many years ago but found it a tad uninspiring, not to denigrate those that enjoy it.

I liked the use of the word 'can' in the phrase "can then be fitted with castors"

I was relieved to see that the word 'can' was included as it presumably means its just a option..not absolutely necessary. Obviously the fitting of castors might be the trickiest part, so being able to avoid that part seems good.

To be fair though ... I guess the castors might add some extra functionality to the otherwise 'artisan' piece of ply.

Dam that's a good idea I have been using rollers and have to keep stopping to move them back to in front of the board.

;-)

Pete

I have always wanted to build one of these but don't understand how. Could the OP please scan the article so we can all understand how to build this, or would that be some sort of copyright infringement? Or is it possible to buy a back issue of the magazine?

K

I know a few people who would be as gobsmacked as I am only they would think it was an ingenious solution.

Sack the editor I say!

I would scan the article but it looks very technical and I wouldn't want someone to attempt such a complex build and then sue me when it goes wrong.

I feel so stupid, I've been dragging my bit of ply around the workshop with a bit of string! If only I'd seen the article earlier I'd have fitted it with wheels.
Genius!

NazNomad":1346qmr2 said:

Hey, that's not all bad, I'll have you know that I'm a contributing author!

It's not a very grammatically correct title, I agree.

GWW used to be the flagship UK mag for woodworkers. We fell out over copyright infringement. Management rather than editorship. Different people. It's all very sad. Sigh.

Latest posts

Back