Good Woodworking Magazine - What the....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next month - Easy glue-ups.

how-to-glue-wood.gif

NazNomad":3sl9cdmn said:
Next month - Easy glue-ups.

how-to-glue-wood.gif

I would like to remind members that embarking on the above project without due consideration to health and safety, ability and experience in the more complex construction techniques and advanced joint making it may all be too much. The build will be a long journey and may well be the basis for a successful completion but please keep in mind that there are risks.

Droogs":1ngifnfz said:
I actually do really like the diversity in the new iteration of woodworking crafts. It opens up whole areas that haven't really been covered by the mainstream wooddust brigade and for a lot of enthusiasts who live in major cities etc they get a chance to learn about aspects of woodworking they would never come across.

Woodworking Crafts":1ngifnfz said:
This month John A. Nelson shares an easy trick to create a perfect ‘paint’ design on a floral wheelbarrow; Neil Lawton creates a Yorkshire trug project perfect for carrying your spring fruit and veg; we continue our series looking at trees, timber and their uses, this time featuring the European Walnut; Steven Wooster and Susan Berry team up to make a garden coffee table from pallets; and the Editor shares 10 top tips for using abrasives.

Hmm. Floral wheelbarrow. Pallet wood garden table. Editor helps us use sandpaper. Now I remember why I ordered Mortice and Tenon.

Noel":1f0668w3 said:
Jez, wish they would do a project on how to design and make a stick. I've had a hoop lying around for ages and just dying to give it a go up and down the street.

of all people here Noel, ..I'm told you are the one who knows most about sticks...

Noel":1f0668w3 said:
I'm a little bit different from the other mods, so listen up: any more stupidly contrived asinine posts and you're out and definitely do not send any more PMs to Mods other than once replying to me in a brief and concise manner. You have a choice: engage with others in a normal, civilized fashion like everybody else and we'll all be fine or you will be sanctioned. This forum is all about offering advice and helping others and that ethos will not be hijacked or damaged by your ranting, delusional nonsense.

Have a nice day.

In response to Tony, and in defence of Woodworking Crafts, this month's magazine offered

Projects for the garden

Plans and cutting list for making a decorative wheelbarrow
Plans for making trugs
How to install garden decks
Plans for making an outdoor table (using pallet wood but you could use any suitable wood)
Plans and cutting list for making a garden table and bench
An article on how to make an understairs storage cupboard

Advice for newcomers

How to ensure accuracy when setting up machines
How to plane a board by hand
The best type of abrasives for different uses
Bandsaw basics
Biscuit joining techniques
How to make a cyclone dust collector

Furniture restoration

Repairing the handle on a Chinese cabinet

plus articles about willow osiers, chair makers, European walnut and its uses, and about the construction of Mosquito fighter bombers.

To me, that's a good mix for the beginner and less experienced woodworker although I appreciate that old hands and professionals would not find it of much use. But, there again, the magazine isn't aimed at them.

Martin

Martin, you do a better job of selling the magazine than they do ! I am not a professional woodworker, just a dabbler, and the title Woodworking Crafts appealed to me enough to Google it. Its a shame their own description wasn't more enticing. There can't be many of us who've had a go at trug making. Can't see the point of pallet wood projects though.

To be fair, I think it is hard to fill a magazine on any topic with interesting content for more than about 2-3 years without getting repetitive or a bit desperate or downright bizzare !

phil.p":qqvtx57l said:
Wow! That's a clever solution!

Actually I saw the heavy ones in Aldi last weekend, they're more expensive than the Lidl triangular ones were a few years ago (£7.99, iirc) but they are are very, very useful.

I saw them in Aldi here (Ireland) last week, think the price was €14.99. If it was, we are being rightly screwed here :(

@SheffieldTony
Why not contact them, they did ask for reader contributions/articles when they rebranded, IIRC. I think it could be quite interesting to have pieces not necessarily about making a specific piece but written by people who go to shows and demonstrate etc about their experiences and stories. These would provide an insight most would never get in general.

There are plenty enough members here who decide to go "full-time" in making hamster bedding and I for one, would love to see a diary type series about their journey and its impact on their lives (voyueristic I know). But I think general interest pieces would add to the magazine.

Student mentioned the articles in this months mag, I've been mucking about with wood for as long as I can remember on and off and have never heard of an osier, but now I know. Yes it does have a lot that experienced readers will find mundane but, perhaps if we as a comunity actually contacted the editors of the mags and told them in sufficient numbbers what we would like to see, they would surely respond.

My area of interest in working wood is very niche, I make laptops & computers, integrated entertainment units and gaming systems using traditional hand tool furnituremaking techniques and CNC machining along with boule marquetry, pietra dura and metal inlay. If not never, I've rarely seen any of these techniques mentioned in any magazine. I also realize there are a wide range of other wood pastimes that never see the light of day.

I just think that the idea behind Woodworking Crafts is to bring all these pastimes to us all. It may stumble along the way but so far it's having a fair go at it.

edit typos

Back