Good guide for learning more about hand planes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm (slowly) getting to enjoy using my hand plane more and more (Stanley No4) and have just grabbed a No5 from this forum. I'm aware that from a technical viewpoint my understanding of setup, technique, and sharpening (especially WHEN to sharpen) is very poor - I've found the two links below, and was hoping people could comment whether they were good guides or not, before I teach myself bad habits!

Many thanks

https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/woo ... nch-plane/
https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/woo ... lane-irons

The Internet can be a confusing resource. Until you know enough to be able
to evaluate a site it's easy to get muddled with many sources of conflicting advice.

I'd suggest either of two books would be helpful
The Essential Woodworker by Robert Wearing
or
Plane Basics by Sam Allen

I took a brief look at the wonkeedonkee site and clicked on combination plane (because I know there is comprehensive
information online about these at the Cornish Woodworking site, search on combi plane central). The wonkeedonkee site
has little info in comparison.

Good luck with your plane.

jim_hanna":2p45cs3u said:
I'd suggest either of two books would be helpful
The Essential Woodworker by Robert Wearing
or
Plane Basics by Sam Allen

Agreed - I have both, both are good. You probably don't need both. :D

BugBear

Did anyone see step 7 :shock:
I would not refer this as a guide to learn from,
2 misinformed snippets allready, and only looked at this for about 30 seconds.

Wearing's book won't be a good enough introduction to hand planes for you so if you're not getting it for the rest of the instruction I would definitely recommend you not go hunting for it, particularly as its price has been grossly inflated in recent years (due to the Schwarz effect).

Off topic: that part of the book was one of the disappointments for me once I finally got my hands on it. Chris Schwarz had talked it up as being the best ground-up instruction for the new woodworker and having read a fair number of others previously (including a few by Hayward) I have to say is it's most certainly not that. Good, yes. The best, no.

My advice on "The Essential Woodworker" would be to look in local libraries for a copy and see if you think it's worth the average price for a secondhand copy in good condition!

Back to topic: what you need really is a covers-everything guide to setting up a plane and then using it to do everything it's capable of doing. And there isn't one that I'm aware of.

It's for the first of these that Internet sources shine and books are usually hopeless for, literally giving no guidance at all to fettling beyond how to sharpen the iron (and often too little info on that).

Book are better for the second part, but it must be said that just like online sources are so frequently criticised for the quality and depth of the information is highly variable. Of all the (many) books I've read I'd rate the sections on hand planing at best 6/10 and at worst 2/10, with a firm 4/10 average being quite typical. Not because the info isn't necessarily solid (although that is true of some) but usually because there's simply too little of it. Far too little.

So bottom line I think you need to read everything you can lay your hands on that has a section on planing and bring all the information together by trying things and practising.

Thanks for taking the time for such an extensive post. I think the worry I have with the Internet is that you never know fi you're looking at good content or bad. Forums help because the number of commenter on one topic valance out.

Forums (fora?) Are good too in that you can ask specific questions and get specific answers.

I have two dvds, one on plane sharpening and one on precision planing.

Derek Jones, F & C editor, recently reviewed the sharpening one and said "out of a five star rating i'd give it ten".

As you may imagine, I was very pleased with this.

Best wishes,
David Charlesworth

Wearing is good in parts. I get the impression he was always a teacher and short of trade experience so he adds a lot of amateurish stuff about jigs and things, and his own quirky ways of doing things.
Sellers is better.

This is exactly why I wanted to post on here :). I'll see how I go with Sam Allen for now. Thanks one and all.

I'm entirely self taught, and on a good day can reach the dizzying heights of "adequate".

I've never found a useful guide to getting started. After my initial foray into paperweight planes (Amtec!) I bought a couple of planes which are decent and was able to make a start. But those planes, which today give me satisfactory results, were still erratic when I got started.

So I think the biggest barrier is learning the technique of handling the plane, and getting a feel for how the wood is behaving under the plane. Maybe that can only be taught hands on, which is why books and online resources are missing.

The three things which got me over the initial hurdle were:

1 Recognising when the blade needs sharpening and getting it sharp.

2 Taking thin shavings.

3 Identifying what planing in the wrong direction feels like.

I can tell that my technique has improved because I can now use a woodie, and when I started I simply made gouges with it.

merlin":3ngy7af1 said:
What about good old Planecraft by C.& J. Hampton (Record)

Merlin

I wouldn't recommended it for initial learning; it doesn't describe difficulties,
and how to overcome them, since (being in part a sale brochure) it doesn't
want to mention difficulties in the first place.

BugBear

I've just had a quick look at the articles the OP linked to in the original question.

I'd say that they are not bad as a summary.

Of course, any one of the points in the articles could be expanded to make a chapter of a book, or many pages of robust discussion on here. I expect every point in there could be argued about, but to write a brief intro like that you have to leave some things out.

For me, the biggest misconception in the article is that planes all need flattening, followed by the assumption that rubbing a plane on abrasive paper will make it flat - an unintended curve is far easier to achieve.

So I would offer one big corrective, by suggesting that, in my limited experience, you should first just sharpen the iron and see how the plane performs. Don't assume there are other problems.

(I'd also point out that waterstones are not the only sharpening medium available.)

Certainly all planes don't need flattening. As far as lapping, that is a skill that will ultimately make a better user than some surface grinding. The criticism on the states forums seem to come from machinists who flatten planes but who don't do woodworking, though I have seen examples where someone overdid hand lapping and the subject plane was left behind with a very proud toe and heel - like several hundredths.

What's most desirable is a plane that troughs at the mouth and is slightly proud of a surface (like a couple of thousandths) at each end. That's not hard to do, it's easier, in fact, but maybe suggesting to beginners that it's something they should do is a reach.

I received a norris this past week, a later panel plane. It appears to me that someone had it lightly surface ground, which is puzzling. I suspect that because it has mill marks on it, no wear or even scratching on the metal, but obvious hand wear on the wood. It was very flat from a specification standpoint, but the toes are slightly lower than the mouth (like by a couple of thousandths). That is a pain on something that is to create a flat surface, because it has to nip a few shavings off of the ends of a board before you get full length shavings. I lapped it to the condition I mentioned above, and now it works more nicely.

Sort of getting off point.

I agree on the waterstones. I think they are subpar behind older methods for anyone doing more than dragging a plane iron backwards in a guide.

Jacob":1cgh4nn0 said:
Wearing is good in parts. I get the impression he was always a teacher and short of trade experience so he adds a lot of amateurish stuff about jigs and things, and his own quirky ways of doing things.
Sellers is better.

I agree with that. Interesting book, but some of the solutions are more trouble than just learning to work to a mark.

I think it is practically heresy to criticize Robert Wearings book The Essential Woodworker".

It is extremely sound and one of the few that actually explains how simple woodworking is done. It also provides much information on furniture structure.

It contains very few jigs, these are found in his other books.

I referred to it frequently, in my classes, for the superb diagrams.

Anyone who fails to see the benefit of this book is a scoundrel and a nincompoop!!

David Charlesworth

Latest posts

Back