Going full Scheppach, any problems?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokerG

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to take the plunge and make the order for my new equipment on Friday. (Assuming they can get it down and into my workshop) I have decided to go with Scheppach across the board as almost all the reviews I read, people seem happy with their equipment.

Here is the full list:
TS2500CI Table Saw w/ 1.4 sliding table & folding width extension
BASATO3 Band Saw w/ Stand & Wheel Kit (<--- Looks better than the usual Scheppach wheel kit)
HMS260CI Planer/Thicknesser w/ Cabinet
RABTS16 Floor Mounting Drill Press (Guessing this is ok, no idea really)
HA2600 80 Litre Dust Extractor (for filling up the hotspot stove I plan on getting)

2x Heavy Duty Universal Mobile Base from HTC (Model: HTC3000)

Can anyone see any problems with this lot?
Was planning on connecting the dust extractor to both the Table Saw and Planer/Thicknesser and using a couple of gates.

The equipment is mostly for furniture of one form or another, then later on for clock making. (Some wood, some metal)

Anything you think I am lacking?

Just need a bit of a sanity check before I go out and spend a ludicrous amount of money.

Thanks for any information you can give,

Gary

I've got all Scheppach, (TS2500, extractor, P/T and Drill). The only one I'm not chuffed to bits with is the Drill. It works fine, and has handled every job I threw at it, I just realised after you can get such good second hand drills for so little money. See a few comments in this thread.https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3138

Adam

Thanks for the ideas Andy, just had a look at the G&M site and there are a few Meddings Floor drills that seem to fit the bill. (Although I doubt the site is up to date) My main problem with going secondhand is I don't know what to look for. I am also the first to admit how shallow I am and like the new shiney paint that comes with a new tool, especially if it colour coordinates with the rest of my gear. :)

Are you using the standard chuck with the Scheppach Drill? Can you put a finger on what it is you don't like about it? Does it just feel 'less solid' than an industrial heavy duty one?

I do want to work with metal at a later date. (First few projects will be in wood) So I don't want to buy the Scheppach if I am going to be limited down the road.

Thanks,

Gary

PokerG":3udqaga6 said:
Are you using the standard chuck with the Scheppach Drill? Can you put a finger on what it is you don't like about it? Does it just feel 'less solid' than an industrial heavy duty one?

Funny, the chuck is one of the best bits I think - although it doesn't go down really small. I've done loads of drilling with it, and its never failed a task. Clearly, for the price, its just not as solid as a cast iron industrial second hand one. I've used the radial feature on a number of occasions and its very handy. All I can think is that radial drills have more flex by the nature of them being effectively a force acting at a distance (eg. the chuck is held at a distance from the main upright through 2 x 90 degree joints. On a "older" non-radial machine, this lump would be one piece probably cast iron. I'm not by any means unhappy, maybe I was just a bit ignorant about the difference between a "normal" and a "radial" in terms of flex.

Adam

PokerG":30e2r5aj said:
I am also the first to admit how shallow I am and like the new shiney paint that comes with a new tool, especially if it colour coordinates with the rest of my gear. :)

Thanks,
Gary

You won't know what colour it is after a few months of wood dust covering everything :D

I might end up hiring a maid for the workshop, just to keep it clean and the colours showing. She can make a cuppa while she's there. Besides anything that I can hoover up can go in the stove so its all free heat.

Gary

Adam, what size containers did the equipment come in that you bought?

I am going to have serious issues getting it down to my shed I think.

We start off with a slippery drive, through wooden gates standard door size, then they have to go down spiraling stone stairs, and finally up a ramp I will have to make to get into the shed.

I should take pictures of the whole thing and take bets as to whether or not they will just dump it on my drive and tell me I am on my own. I am expecting them to do the same whenever I order large amounts of wood.

G.

I am not a betting man anymore but I would keep your drive clear :shock: :shock: or maybe stand there and fan yourself with some fivers giving hints. :wink: :wink:

Les

PokerG":tkat8xro said:
Adam, what size containers did the equipment come in that you bought?

I am going to have serious issues getting it down to my shed I think.

I bought from my local dealer (Homewood in worthing). I'd also put my back out when the heaviest items were ready. I couldn't even walk to teh workshop to vacuum and clear the space for everything. No problem, they stored it until I was ready, then carried it through the house (awkward turn from the front door into the front room), and through into the workshop. Couldn't have been more helpful.

Adam

I am probably ordering through my local network as well (Isaac Lords are based where I am, High Wycombe). I am just about to give the guys there a long chat about delivery.

Gary

got the hms 260 and ts 4000 myself
good luck with the new machines , however you wont need luck . scheppach name speaks for itself
mel

Hiya,

Very late in the day to be making a post on this......and my first one at that !

I bought a Sheppach combi about 25 years ago - ex demo item ( spindle moulder/saw bench/slot mortiser/thicknesser & surfacer)

The spindle moulder bit is still great - though highly illegal, sawbench was always a load of rubbish - as was the slot mortiser, But the Planer / Thicknesser is still going wonderfully - powerful and accurate - a Wadkin would do better, but at what price?

Chris

Back