Goblets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Dean
Nice work :!:

from left to right...
1. looks a little bottom heavy, solution might be to increase the the size of the 'bowl'

2. similar to 1. plus the stem looks a little thick for the size of the goblet

3. being hypercritical here, slightly bottom heavy (I'd be happy with it :wink: )

4. bottom heavy

5. nice form but the incurve of the top of the goblet makes the bottom disproportionately heavy

Please bear in mind I've expressed just one man's view... so much is truly in the eye of the beholder: I like the apparent thinness at the top of No. 2, compare this aspect with No. 4...

I do like the limed oak finish

To my eyes Dean, they look "heavy" and a little "fussy".

I prefer thinner sections and clean lines, but there again I like thin lightweight glass drinking vessels as well.

Have a look at some I did to see if anything strikes a cord.

They were much the same as these:
DSC01695.JPG

Chas was posting at the same time as I was... note his thin top on 1 and 3.

I forgot to mention, look at glasses (the glass ones) and note the curves and proportions... let your fingers run over them too to get the feel

Hi Dean - the technical parts of the turning and finishing are excellent,it's just the proportions and balance (although I love the shape of the bowl on number 3)

I would (and do :wink: ) take Grahams advice - look at glasses,vases,decanters etc. and draw inspiration from the ones that you like the look of (I like the style and shape of Bronze Age and Roman pottery,for example,so use that as a main source of inspiration for bowls)

Andrew

Owamya Dean. :)
If these are your first attempts,they look fine to me.
Seems like your caught in two mind as to what you want.
They do as Graham n Chas say look a little heavy,but some people like chunky,as i call them, items.
Keep practising till you find what you like,be a bit more braver,meself i like the look of Chas's.
Paul.J.

Thanks for all the honest replies :lol:
well I was right that the goblets were wrong :roll:

I can see where I've gone wrong now it's been pointed out, thanks again

Dean

Dean":1km4djyt said:
...snip..
well I was right that the goblets were wrong :roll:
....snip...Dean

They are not 'wrong' as such, they are finished well, and can be seen for what they are.

Whether they are what you or anybody else would prefer is a different matter.

As Graham says, look at the styles and form of pieces in other mediums such as glass and fine porcelain, note which have survived for decades, they will give you some idea as to what the majority of people will prefer.

"Wrong" is perhaps a bit strong - there is nothing wrong with them.
It's all subjective anyway (personal opinion),unfortunately,it's not an exact science :(
I still think of each piece as a learning exercise; either in tool control,or finishing,or timber properties,or....well,you get the idea.
Most important bit is did you enjoy making them - if so,it was all worthwhile :D

Andrew

Hi, all:
First post here, but if you don't mind a newbie weighing in.... :)

I find that one of the most difficult things in turning is identifying what minor detail is throwing off the overall form. I can look at a piece and immediately form an opinion as to "I like it" or "I don't like it", but deciding just exactly what it is that I do or don't like about it is much more difficult.

In this particular case I think I have narrowed it down to the area of the base of the bowl of the goblets. Everyone who has responded seems to agree that #3 is the most pleasing form. If you look at #3 you will see that the "rebate" that separates the bowl from the stem of the goblet is much smaller in diameter in proportion to the overall bowl diameter than the others. The curve of the underside of the bowl is continued and flows better into the stem. I think that the eye unconsciously relegates anything above the rebate as being part of the bowl and anything below the rebate as being part of the stem, which leads to the feeling that the stem is too "chunky". :)

I do not agree that the stem diameters in and of themselves are too big, with the possible exception of #4. Goblets with long, thin stems are wonderful for demonstrating a turner's tool control and sharpening abilities, but are hardly what you would call practical which is why you don't see glass or ceramic stemware with long, thin stems. I don't suppose too many wooden goblets actually get used as drinking vessels, though, so maybe practicality is not an issue.... :)

I think you have done a fine job from a technical aspect on these, and the fine bead at the rim of the #1 is a delightful detail.

Take care
Bob

Welcome to this forum bobham, your input is most welcome, there is a growing collection, myself included, of newbie turners gathering here who are more than appreciative of constructive comments.

I personally do not strive for perfection of form or style, just like bashing out 'round spinney things' but by the looks of some of our newcomers there is some hidden talent around here.

good to see you here Bob :wink:

Dean... down to the more important bit... what do you think about your goblets? (bearing in mind they're not wrong
What would you do differently?

:!: these are rhetorical questions :!:

Looking forward to seeing a pic of one that you're happy with :wink:

PowerTool":dx24mm8d said:
"Wrong" is perhaps a bit strong - there is nothing wrong with them.
It's all subjective anyway (personal opinion),unfortunately,it's not an exact science :(
I still think of each piece as a learning exercise; either in tool control,or finishing,or timber properties,or....well,you get the idea.
Most important bit is did you enjoy making them - if so,it was all worthwhile :D

Andrew

Sorry if I used the word "wrong"
What I meant is that goblets did not turn out as I had imagined and I could not from my lack of experience work out what was not quite as I had intended them to be, hence the original post.
Very sorry if I did not make myself clear.
"Wrong" is what I did not achieve personal, but I did enjoy making them.
Powertool you are correct when you say "I still think of each piece as a learning exercise; either in tool control,or finishing,or timber properties.

ATB

Dean

Re the thckness of the stems. I remember seeing some beer glasses that had stems that were almost identical to the second from the left.

I really like the grain in that first one as well, the way it swirls around the goblet is really effective. I haven't tried goblets yet. How do you hold them on the lathe?

Pete

Latest posts

Back