Gluing ply door lining?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krismusic

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am lining a doorway with a 6" strip of birch ply. I have fixed 4"x1" packed level from the brickwork. I am thinking of glueing the lining to the 4"x1" with a polyurethane glue. Am I likely to have problems with stuff warping if it is trapped? Or any other issues? Thanks. 8)

HI Kris
I wouldn't be using glue on door linings. Why not screws and plugs or brads 2'' into your half inch ply . Always allow for tweaking to get that penny all round finish . Maybe a spot of glue on the archs (facings) mitres but no need on linings . Cheers !

joesoap":3c58wtqc said:
HI Kris
I wouldn't be using glue on door linings. Why not screws and plugs or brads 2'' into your half inch ply . Always allow for tweaking to get that penny all round finish . Maybe a spot of glue on the archs (facings) mitres but no need on linings . Cheers !
Make that 1 1/2 brads on the angle .

Can't work out why you would want to use ply in the first place, no finish to the edges. too thin to screw and plug, which is the best way to go, and very poor to fit butts into. You don't say how thick you want this ply to be though.
Derek.

Assuming your going to apply a stop bead afterwards why not conceal the fixings behind this?

Thanks for the replies guys. I have used ply as the lining is purely decorative, it butts up to a hardwood frame for the doors. I needed the lining to be as thin as possible so as not to obscure the frame ( I hadn't allowed for the lining in the original design.) I put a 45 degree bevel on the edge of the ply and glued a strip at right angles , to give me an "L", so no problem with the edge. Having used a very consistent smooth material, it just seems a shame to marr it with fixings which will then have to be filled.

Hi Kris,

I can't see a problem as long as the fabric of the building is reasonably dried out and your grounds are well fixed.

I used "Fill and fix" foam to secure softwood door linings into lightweight block walling where frame anchors just wouldn't do the job. I think "Fill and fix" is also polyurethane based. The linings haven't moved in 20 years.

Regards

Graham

Back