Gluing/clamping question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PortersWood

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm cutting 4mm birch ply and need two sheets clamped or temporarily glued together so that the cuts match perfectly (my cutting isn't quite there to do the two pieces separately) does anyone have any suggestions on how best to do this?

don't do scrolling myself but I'd use double sided tape if i was doing it? the other guys on here will probably be along to help ya soon
Cheers
Brian

I think you are referring to stack cutting. There are lots of methods for this. I have only tried 1 that works. I use a temporary spray adhesive on a piece of blank paper (stick and spray by crafters companion). I stick one side to the ply then spray it again on the ply to stick the other side. I then put the 2nd piece of ply on top.
This gives a strong bond inside so no pieces slip.
I then tape all and the 2 pieces particularly the edges. I have cut up to 5 pieces of ply stuck this way with no movement.

Stooby has given you a good answer to your question. When I have a similar project going I run a bead of glue round the outside edge and then clamp the two pieces together. A tip, if you have lots of internal cuts then start in the middle and work your way out from there to the outer edges. If you have any delicate pieces to cut that are quite close to each other then as you finish each cut leave the pieces where they are as these will add support to the surrounding plywood.

I use double sided tape around the outside edges of the piece to be cut, but I apply coloured masking tape to each piece of wood first, otherwise I have huge problems removing the sticky from the double sided tape :roll: if the stack seems a bit wobbly I will use clear tape all around for extra security. I have occasionally used the wee pins from my staple gun, but less fond of that method as they have to be long enough to hold and short enough not to go through the bottom
A wee tip, if you sand and maybe give a light coat of finish/sanding sealer to the plywood you are less likely to find little fibres lifting when you remove the tape and the pattern

Gill

loftyhermes":b8n1r3a9 said:
I normally use a brad nailer or stapler in the waste when stack cutting.
happy scrolling
Steve

The same method as Steve.

Take care.

Chris R.

Latest posts

Back