Clamping/ Press advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20231223_000259.jpg

I need a glue that sets rigid to keep the plies perfectly flat once removed from the press. I've not experimented with too many different types of glue so far, but a lot of traditional wood glues (PVA's) don't appear to set rigid but rather retain some flexibility, which will then allow the wood to warp once out of the press. PU glues seems to be about the best type of glue for curing rigid...although I have heard that hide glues have this property as well.
Don't use pu glues.....as others have suggested. ...but make sure environment & wood are warm & dry enough. Do not use too much pressure whatever glue you use & put cling film between. Book press would be great for what you are doing if you can borrow, hire or buy one.

Don't use pu glues.....as others have suggested. ...but make sure environment & wood are warm & dry enough. Do not use too much pressure whatever glue you use & put cling film between. Book press would be great for what you are doing if you can borrow, hire or buy one.
A couple of explanations would be appreciated. Why not PU and what is 'too much' pressure?
Brian

Last edited:
A couple of explanations would be appreciated. Why not PU and what is 'too much' pressure?
Brian
yes it was a bit blunt Brian but done in haste....sheep to feed.
The words 'novice' & 'thin plys' made me think that PU would not be the best. Some foam and in cool weather can be a bit sluggish. Not easy to clamp in an A4 size. Personally I would go for epoxy. Weigh it out. Make sure the temperature is ok. It should laminate well & is tough enough for this application. It will hopefully be a gentle, positive learning experience .....
& it is possible to exert too much pressure with hydraulic devices & they might deform thin...perhaps soft....plys....& squeeze too much of some glues out.

Hi , this not a4 size, but maybe it would help in ideas.
The glue Process and jig starts at around d 4mi s 36 seconds in.

Back