Gloomy Day thoughts...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Ye Gods, what a foul, gloomy day. I know we need rain, but...
Forced to stay indoors waiting for some courier-or-other, I didn't want to start doing anything in the cellar or shed in case I missed him. (Y'know - he has an 8 hour span in which to deliver, but picks the exact moment that you visit the toilet/whatever)
So I started thinking - oh dear! - about various bits of kit that I've got or have considered over the years, and thought of a few questions.
A "rotary planer". Got one? Used one? Toyed with the idea a few years ago, but never bothered.
A razor blade plane. Have got one somewhere, which I used for a while when I was a would-be marqueteur. (Get him!) Sort-of a deadly block plane. I often wondered if anyone had ever made a 'proper' plane blade that could fit and be sharpened...
The final question is about (a rip-off copy of) a Wolfcraft 3D square in a rather fetching blue colour. It has all sorts of measurements and sizes marked into the plastic - which I'm sure are very handy - but unless you've the eyes of an eagle and/or a 400 watt bulb nearby, are unreadable because they are not picked out in a different colour.
So, is there anything I could smear across, and then wipe, so that the colour stays in the markings?

I wonder where this courier's got to?!

Electric planers are useful if you like speed and noise!

I too would love to put a blade in an rb3 plane rather than a razor blade!

Electric planers are useful if you like speed and noise!

I too would love to put a blade in an rb3 plane rather than a razor blade!

Too right! Noisy little beasts...
I see StewMac are pushing their "Safe-T-Planer" these days. Wasn't there some scare a few years ago how the units could unscrew themselves from the drill stand and basically travel at speed in your general direction?!
Maybe someone on the forum could knock up a razor-sized blade?
On my question about the 3D square, I just tried a sharpie. Nope. Besides, it need to be white/ish to stand out, I suppose. Really thin filler, I wonder?

Too right! Noisy little beasts...
I see StewMac are pushing their "Safe-T-Planer" these days. Wasn't there some scare a few years ago how the units could unscrew themselves from the drill stand and basically travel at speed in your general direction?!
Maybe someone on the forum could knock up a razor-sized blade?
On my question about the 3D square, I just tried a sharpie. Nope. Besides, it need to be white/ish to stand out, I suppose. Really thin filler, I wonder?
Tippex?

Yes, thought of Tippex. Useful for aligning stuff under the car bonnet as well - isn't affected by petrol. Sure I've a bottle somewhere...probably dried up years ago!
Still no ****ing courier...

Edit : Ah-ha! An Edding 780 'paint marker'. German (?), white paint in a pen format. 0.8mm 'nib'. Ball bearing in body, so shakety-shakety. Now, with a steady hand....
Wonder what I got it for? And when?!

Last edited:
Would the blood of a courier provide enough contrast?

Wouldn't mind so much, but it's not even my order!
It's probably a bulk order of face cream or something, courtesy of her ladyship.
She did get a supply of something last week, but then expressed concern because she'd ticked the wrong box on the order..."Oh, I've ordered the day stuff by mistake!"
Day stuff?
"How's it differ from night stuff?" I asked.
"Oh...you wouldn't understand..."

Correct!

cozzer
sounds a bit like knitting...never understood that either...
kinda fancy a new speed square but the old ones are still good enough...
I guess it's the shiney magpie habit....

as for courriers, well we don't actually have a proper address.....
were just known as the Brits on the hill.....
we have to put our mobile number on the address and they always phone when they are in the village....
then we meet em by the cafe bar.......loadsa fun....

Nice day in the South West yesterday but rather wet and windy today. 🙁
Shame as I have time off work to build a workshop (following house move). Got the structure built and roof boards on yesterday but no way can I handle PIR boards in this weather. 😓

Wouldn't mind so much, but it's not even my order!
It's probably a bulk order of face cream or something, courtesy of her ladyship.
She did get a supply of something last week, but then expressed concern because she'd ticked the wrong box on the order..."Oh, I've ordered the day stuff by mistake!"
Day stuff?
"How's it differ from night stuff?" I asked.
"Oh...you wouldn't understand..."

Correct!
I got the same just now when i read this to my good lady Just mention SPF to your wife as though you know all about it 😄😄

cozzer
sounds a bit like knitting...never understood that either...
kinda fancy a new speed square but the old ones are still good enough...
I guess it's the shiney magpie habit....

as for courriers, well we don't actually have a proper address.....
were just known as the Brits on the hill.....
we have to put our mobile number on the address and they always phone when they are in the village....
then we meet em by the cafe bar.......loadsa fun....

That's very civilised!
"Meet 'em by the cafe bar...".
Reminds me of the days I was lucky enough to live in Montego Bay.... you'd order something. and they'd say you'll get it next Tuesday. Probably.
You knew you wouldn't, they knew you knew you wouldn't, but somehow it didn't matter to either party!
Here's to the Brits on the hill!

Tell you something else that wrankles me...

The screw clamp thingy that tightens the straight-edge in a combination square.
Take the rule out, and the law of Sod demands that the clampthingy drops out, never to be found again.

Take the rule out, and the law of Sod demands that the clampthingy drops out, never to be found again.
You learn by the first time you do it then take care the next time

There's a maker (Kapro) that uses magnets instead of the "clampthingy". I do not have one, but I looked one over at a woodworking store. Seemed to be well made, w/etched markings on the rule, however, I have a Starrett that works for me!

Non of mine do that, one Rabone, one Bahco and several others unbranded.
Buy a better square?

Non of mine do that, one Rabone, one Bahco and several others unbranded.
Buy a better square?
If you actually mean "none", my question would be "why not?"!
What's holding your clampthingy in when the rule is removed?
It's not as though they're screwed in - certainly not on all the unbranded ones I've owned!

If you actually mean "none", my question would be "why not?"!
What's holding your clampthingy in when the rule is removed?
It's not as though they're screwed in - certainly not on all the unbranded ones I've owned!
The clampthingys have knurled nuts to tighten the scale. It all stays in place unless you take the nut right off, then it can drop out.
Just like this one:
Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 17.15.55.png

But I found another cheapo in a drawer, where it can drop out - too much space in the frame. Just a bad design detail

Last edited:
I have a cheapo multi one that came with a center finder head a 360° movable protractor head and the normal set square head so you got three "clampthingy " screws not lost one yet but if you only have the set square type there is no need to remove the ruler just slide it back and forth and retighten

That's very civilised!
"Meet 'em by the cafe bar...".
Reminds me of the days I was lucky enough to live in Montego Bay.... you'd order something. and they'd say you'll get it next Tuesday. Probably.
You knew you wouldn't, they knew you knew you wouldn't, but somehow it didn't matter to either party!
Here's to the Brits on the hill!
Reminds me of the Spaniard who was visiting rural Ireland, and in trying to improve his vocabulary said to a local resident: 'In Spain, we have a word 'manana' which means 'we'll leave that till tomorrow' - do you have a word like that? The Irishman said: 'On no - we have no words that would describe that degree of urgency'.

Back