Getting Wood for free

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
A couple of people have mentioned the idea of free wood recently. SWMBO & I went for a walk where we live this evening and came back loaded with goodies, she had bags of seed heads and things for pot pourri and I had enough yew and beech to cut up into 26 blanks for bobbins (or pens if that's you fetish) and half a dozen mushroom size turnings plus a piece of beech 4' long and 4" dia, a bit of a split at one end but most of it is naturally dried and OK. Also saw another couple of pieces of beech from some trimming but they were too big to carry (approx 6' by 8" dia) so will be contacting the farmer (next door neighbour) for permission to go and cut them up.

If I had a chain saw there is also a thirty foot beech that came down 2 years ago with half a dozen burrs on it still lying across a path.
There's plenty out there if you walk.

Also saw a pile of beech about 4' high already chopped up for firewood....discipline needed!!!
Pete

I came home last night to find that my neighbour had felled a plum tree - so guess who's got the big bits of trunk now... :wink:

Andrew (who also finds it difficult to resist anything free)

Pete.I thought you were giving it away. :shock:
Be nice to get that Beech though :wink:

Powertool wrote
I came home last night to find that my neighbour had felled a plum tree - so guess who's got the big bits of trunk now...
Nice one Andrew.Any chance of a piccy of the Plum.

Andrew (who also finds it difficult to resist anything free)
Who doesn't :D
Paul.J.

The other week I heard a chainsaw being used on my estate so of course I walked round to see if there was any wood to be had. They were council workers and all they had in the back of the van was cracked. They suggested I go to the depot as there's a hopper there where the park service dumps all the freshly cut wood.
It's only a five minute drive from my house and after a quick chat to one of the guys working there I helped myself to a couple of slices of an interesting looking softwood and a couple of slices of pear. All for free and I can go as often as I like:)

Anyone living in or near a town or city should perhaps investigate what their council does with wood.

Duncan

I am a bit of a recycle freak (plus free stuff fan) and my ultimate aim is to work with as much 'salvage' wood as possible.
I started the opposite way though, bought wood ready dried and cut to learn on as it is easier. but I am with you all! once I have got the hang of treating green wood myself it off to the local tree choppers to see what I can 'save'! though for now we 'go for walks' and have a scout round.

Latest posts

Back