getting there

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had a few day off and managed to get some things fininshed at last!
not crazy about them all, but you live and learn!

Don't like the top on this one

You've certainly been making up for lost time Mrs Sliver... luv that 'simple oak bowl' !! ... and the ufo one :wink:

Is that inlay banding on the penultimate pic? ... the one after it is begging for an Aspidistra :)

Yes it is inlaid band, I don't have an aspidistra (pot is too small anyway unless you do minture plants to go with your turnings?) and the UFO was going to be a box until I cut off a slice for the lid and mucked it up! :oops:
I did most of the messing up on one momentous day which I seemed to put aside for destruction! :roll:

A day "messing up" is allowed now and then, the main thing is that in the last 5 months you have learned how to recover said 'mess-ups' and developed a style of your own that is far more ambitious in form than most of us care to tackle on a regular basis.

All very interesting pieces their Mrs.S.
Any chance of some sizes to get some idea.
Glad to see you've managed some precious time at the lathe :D
Paul.J.

Thank you for them there comments nice people! I do need to remember to show size on photos though! I will do one that shows that later. for now just one of my faithful sidekick (not sliver as I am HIS side kick) stood in front of the lathebed for scale. .. sorry .. he's along running family joke!

last day off work :( so last turning for a week or so.
I was quite pleased with this because I don't do too well with Elm, but it was my last ready dried blank so it got done. I've put a 10p on for size this time! :D

and with the others I did with the 10p (see, not big enough for an aspidistra)

Doin' good Mrs S! Like the one in the middle with the silver/pewter band. Really sets the timber off.

Never used that banding but might give it a go one of these days, looks good. :wink:

Thanks for the sizing image Mrs,S.
Lovely looking piece of Elm Mrs.S.
Not sure about the banding round it though. :?
Paul.J.

Hi Mrs S.

You do like your finials don't you :)

As Chas said, considering the path you have taken you have come further than most of us newbies. If other people keep asking you to make them things then you must be doing something right. A mistake is only bad if you don't learn from it and if you don't tell anyone who's to know.

Pete

I'm getting really envious now Mrs. S - I remember your first post about five or so months back. At that time I had been messing around on my lathe for about six months, and now nearly a year latter I still haven't got to your standard :oops:

Where do you get the nice metalwork as shown on the top of one photo in the third post?????

Losos":2ynsk14w said:
Where do you get the nice metalwork as shown on the top of one photo in the third post?????

Hi Lossos,

The metal work is a pot pourri lid and you can get them from various places including Axminster. They come in a variety of designs such as flowers, butterflies and birds.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Going to dive into the Axminster book, funny how one never seems to look in the obvious place :oops:

Thank you for the replies chaps! I have just been informed by old sliver about them, for some reason I haven't got the emails to notify me of replies :? and as you know I get times I am not able to get in the workshop for a while ](*,) ... and this is one of them! BUT will be back in the harness from 5the September for a couple of weeks! \:D/

I shall look out for mini aspidistras! The 'bits' I use I get from a local supplier (lids and inlays and 'stuff') but I shall have to scout around because I think he is going to cut down what he gets soon and it is bit of a trek if I don't need much. As Pete says, there are a few places online I was looking at 'craft supplies' as this is were the things I normally buy come from.

I won't be on for a while as we have little holiday soon ( for my 50th birthday :-$ ) I plan on leaving all our clothes there and filling the suitcases with driftwood on the way back :lol:

Latest posts

Back