Getting ready for new lathe...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
So, out with the old...

...which is for sale in another post

...and space for the new...

...which I pick up tomorrow

(Still wondering if I can fit two lathes in my 16' x 8' workshop if my old one doesn't sell)

New pics coming tomorrow!

:) Ha hah hah - If only it were a NuTool....and no it's not that lovely vb36 currently on ebay.........

.....it's a Wivamac DB1000 which one of the woodturning clubs I belong too is selling on.

I'm hoping I'll be able to set it up on my own, but I understand it's rather weighty :D

Random Orbital Bob":23kox0rq said:
OMG you're such a tease! Tell us what ur getting for goodness sake. It's not the vb36 on eBay for 2 grand is it???

That is a steal if it sells for that...

Random Orbital Bob":28zj9m3n said:
OMG you're such a tease! Tell us what ur getting for goodness sake. It's not the vb36 on eBay for 2 grand is it???
I think that one's been up before - it's put up for a short time, then it's taken down and it then disappears without trace. When you look to see what it sold for, it hasn't existed.

well it'll be interesting to watch as it ends at 09:50 (ish) tomorrow and its currently on for £2050. If it does go for that I'm seriously toying with the idea of bidding....it has a 3MT and can take a 4 foot log, a foot in diameter directly out of the spindle with no tailstock support :) That's a tree....sticking out of the chuck...with no tailstock support...and it doesn't over balance or affect the bearings.

It's a stunning lathe and literally puts everything else in the shade including Oneway and Vicmarc et al. British designed of course even though its now manufactured in Germany. An absolute triumph of engineering.

The shaft is about 5 times the size of a wadkin by the way :)

VB36 2.png
VB36 1.png

Attachments

• VB36 1.png
    VB36 1.png
    90 KB · Views: 1,472
  • VB36 2.png
    VB36 2.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,471
Random Orbital Bob":1f6m7j7m said:
well it'll be interesting to watch as it ends at 09:50 (ish) tomorrow and its currently on for £2050. If it does go for that I'm seriously toying with the idea of bidding....it has a 3MT and can take a 4 foot log, a foot in diameter directly out of the spindle with no tailstock support :) That's a tree....sticking out of the chuck...with no tailstock support...and it doesn't over balance or affect the bearings.

It's a stunning lathe and literally puts everything else in the shade including Oneway and Vicmarc et al. British designed of course even though its now manufactured in Germany. An absolute triumph of engineering.

The shaft is about 5 times the size of a wadkin by the way :)

Thats a bold statement "It's a stunning lathe and literally puts everything else in the shade "

No disrespect to VB36 owners , I had one and was pleased when I sold it , In my opinion very agricultural in operation , simple things like moving the toolrest post involves about 8 movements :(
More user friendly lathes are available with ease of operation and adjustments

Blister":17xugab8 said:
Random Orbital Bob":17xugab8 said:
Yebbut can you turn a whole tree on them? :)

How many turners have the ability to obtain / cut down / transport / Mount a tree ?

...and if you could, would you want to? :roll:

If I had that much mass and stability I'd rather try a Nick Agar off-centre sculpture...

nick-agar.jpg

than go turning whole trees.

I'm excited for you Stew!

I wish I had that sort of cash free - I'd be over in a shot :D

Well,despite the excitement this thread has generated about the VB36, I've now set up my new-to-me Wivamac DB1000...and what do you know, there is room for both lathes (though I'm still interested in finding a buyer for my old CL2 lathe...)

just need a chuck now!

Spindle":2y43fdwu said:
phil.p":2y43fdwu said:
the headstock bearings are the same as ones as used on the prop shaft of a Sea King helicopter.

So, not designed to take high radial loads then :?
Having watched helicopters working in gales, I would imagine the bearings would take anything you could throw at them. :D

Latest posts

Back