Getting organized

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just got totally fed up of not being able to do my cat-swinging exercises in the workshop. I was working outside more and more, couldn't get to any machines, couldn't see my bench.

So we've had a little make-over.

1 Build a timber storage crate arrangement and a rack for sheet goods.

2. Sell RAS and buy SCMS to replace it (but not as much space saved as I had hoped, it's pretty hefty.

3. Build cabinet base for SCMS stand (with legs folded) so I have storage underneath. I can still detach the stand and saw if I need to go on-site.

4. Buy a mobile base for the P/T (I'll do a review of that - mixed feelings)

6. Recklessly chuck out loads of scrap, old tins of paint, a couple of old school tables (although the tops came in handy to make the mobile base for the SCMS).

7. Move things about a bit.

There is more to do. Make new shelving and wall cupboards, sell the under-used Spindle Moulder, relocate the hollow-chisel mortiser to next door's workshop (I'd sell it- got a Domino - but Brian says No, so the deal is I'll hang on to it if he houses it).

The progress is encouraging - I have SPACE. I can SEE THE FLOOR. I can USE THE MACHINES without tripping over something else. It's wonderful.

All I need now is a commission or two!

nice one. I'm planning on booking a few days off and having a move around.

So your selling a spindle moulder :wink: :wink:

Yes Steve, no pictures = we don't believe you....
Seriously, a fresh start and a tidy shop is great, for a while. I find shops and the Forth bridge have something in common.

Noel

Steve - Look forward to seeing the piccies. I find it's amazing how quickly 'junk' and 'stuff' piles up. With my 'dream' 'shop (Which I had to wait 30 years to get :cry: ) I am determined to clean up after every job, so far I've just about managed to do so, but only just :wink:

Know exactly where your coming from Steve. Mine is the same and I haven't had it as long as you. I am still in the process of finishing the inside but am already lacking space with all the machines and tools in there. I do clean up after each job but it is still a nightmare working around everything. Oh nice article on the router bearings too, thanks for the plug. :wink:

Just being doing much the same last week Steve as I had a few days off.

Decided not to buy a mobile base for the P/T as was feeling a bit mean, and knocked up one from 2x4's and some 3" locking castors that only cost about £4 each from Toolstation. Works a treat and locks solid when you need it to, also raises the height a few inches which helps save the back.

Made a base cupboard with drawers on similar castors for the pillar drill as well so again can now move that around when needed so it doesn't get in the way when using the other kit, and the drawers swallow up all the associated bits and pieces that were cluttering up the place.

Makes a big difference doing that kind of stuff, well worth taking the time as means you are a lot more efficient when you start to do some proper woodworking !

Cheers, Paul. :D

Theres a good prompt....although i try and keep the workshop clear its starting to feel cluttered so i might take a leaf out your book. I have got a nice new bridgeport cnc mill to fit in (well new to me)now so might have an ebay flutter.

need photos steve....

I

I have been meaning to sort things out for a very long time. With refurbishing the house and a broken leg, more and more gets dumped in my workshop/wives dinning room.

The entrance:-
S2020008bRotated.jpg

The workshop:-
S2020003b.jpg

S2020005b.jpg

I think I need a big shed/workshop and to give my wife her dinning room back.

Well done Steve on sorting things out. Where do you start?

ATB Gary.

Gary, I don't know if I should be impressed or horrified.

Keefaz.

I am far from impressed.

The thing is, it slowly creeps up on you. What with everything else going on. Then, one day you try to enter and it hits you. How on earth do I go about sorting this out?

ATB Gary.

garywayne":3bpeog47 said:
How on earth do I go about sorting this out?
One black bin bag at a time, starting at the door for obvious reasons :wink:

Actualy probably easiest to gather up all the small, loseables first. Maybe three boxes; tools, materials and rubbish. Add additional boxes to each catergory until you've gathered up the small stuff. That should give some room to tidy up the larger things a bit, then go through each of those boxes one at a time (maybe one a day?) putting everything away or deliberately taking time to stop and make a place for it. If you know you're going to make or obtain a certain type of storage, once you've room to do so, then use a box for all the things you know will eventually be stored in there. The beauty of the box system is you can move them as you go along, things don't fall through them like a plastic bag, you can usually see pretty much what's in there at a glance and they give the contents a certain amount of protection from damage. 'Course then there's those useful plastic boxes for permanent storage, particularly the ones with lids; you can stack a helluva lot of stuff in half a dozen of those. DAMH... :oops:

But maybe it was rhetorical question? :D

Cheers, Alf

Get two or three railway sleepers, buy a cheap and cheerful shed, drop it on to the sleepers (which keep it off the ground and although they might rot, probably not in your lifetime!), add a few shelves floor to ceiling, buy some plastic square "tubs", and take everything out to the "storage shed". Then, you have some space, build another shed, or buy another as a "workshop". that way, you keep everything seperate.

Adam

Hi folks
Here are some pics. Sadly only one of the Before type, and even that is better than it was, (as those of you who have been here will attest), but this is what is happening at the mo.

It all used to look like this, and worse:
notdoneyet.JPG

But a bit of tidying up and wheels:
pt.JPG

The SCMS stand wastes a lot of space underneath, so I've built a cupboard and put the closed-up stand on that. I can still take it on site if I need to, but I have some nice storage space and it moves. This isn't its final resting place, I don't think, as it fouls the bandsaw, but it's OK for now. I need some handles for the doors

scms.JPG

The timber still looks untidy in this photo but It's not bad in reality, honest! There is still a metal shelf unit in the way, which is why I can't get the camera in properly, but that is on its way out ASAP.

timber.JPG

sheet.JPG

That useless area behind the door houses a notice board
board.JPG

and finally, space, the final frontier! I don't know why, but it looks like I'm floating! Must be the Minervois...

space.JPG

A way to go, but I'm dead chuffed so far. I wonder how long it will last?

Hello Steve,

I was of the same mind about the wasted space under my mitre saw. I do`nt have time to make a really nice one so I clad a steel router table stand in birch plywood for speed of construction. The stand was purchased from Rutlands and as you can see in the photos, I`ve fitted the Kreg Flip Stop system to it. It allows me to crosscut up to a maximum length of 53 1/2". Pricey bit of kit but extremely well made and accurate. The stand is also sitting on four 3" high quality ball race swivel wheels so I can get access in the cupboard at the far end of my workshop.

crosscut_station1.jpg

crosscut_station2.jpg

Alf, yes it was a rhetorical question. But, thank you and Adam for your ideas.

Sorry Steve. I didn't mean to intrude.
Workshops looking good.

ATB Gary.

Well done
It is a good feeling to have a clean work shop, I hope yours lasts longer than mine does.
About 10 minutes on a good day :(

Well I have done a bit of tidying, nothing on the scale of Steve, but made some draws for tool storage, trying to get things proper homes so it easy to put them away and quicker to find them next time. :roll:

Seven draws, on full extension slides. 2 x 4", 2 x 3" and 3 x 2" all made from ply from B&Q :oops: apart from the fronts, beech that game from ebay last year. :D

Here its what is currently in the draws, starting at the bottom. Still got two draws empty but the brace bits are in line for one of them. 8)
I know the plane draw is full, but small ones could migrate higher in the cabinet, when the need arises. :roll:

Someone mentioned Sandvik chisels well that what my main set are, bought in the 70's and still going strong. \:D/
The other major change in the shop is laminate flooring, it is a bit slippy but it so much nicer than the concrete I can live with that. Moving everything to put it down was a nightmare, help of large son for two sundays was enlisted in return for helping with their new house for a week.

Latest posts

Back