General Finishing stain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was almost going to post a link to let me Google that for you, but thought it slightly rude -
a cursory google search using the term -

General Finishes Gel oil based stain uk

shows lots of options depending on your budget...

Thanks. No you're not being rude. I've found a few stockists but all they seem to sell is water based from this Brand not oil based. There are lots of stockist in America.
If you spot one please let me know.

To save you clicking on the link and reading down to the relevant point, there are apparently shipping restrictions on the oil based stains making getting them into the UK/EU impossible. No further information is given but it does, unfortunately, give you an answer.

Unsure what type of finish you are trying to achieve but if you are looking to tint wood as opposed to apply an opaque finish then I've used old-school transparent oil glazes in the distant past -30+y ago - the downside is that these are- or used to be linseed-oil based so can take an age to fully 'dry'.
The upside is that they add very little colour themselves and only require minimal addition of dye pigments to tint, and the characteristic smell they have whilst drying I personally quite like, but is perhaps not to everyone's taste.
A quick search shows there are plenty of more modern formulations available, perhaps one might give you the finish you are after

Back