GCSE Coursework: Bedside table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyone

Established Member
Reaction score
This is one of my latest pieces which i made at school as my final piece for my resistant materials course. This piece was complemented with a 30 page A3 folder which was also submitted with the piece. I started this project in January of this year and finished it April/May working only in the 3 lessons a week i got and anytime after school i could spare. I learned so much from doing this project, especially about deadlines :lol: and thoroughly enjoyed making it. It is all made of solid oak apart from the 3 side panels which were oak faced MDF. I found the making of the door was the hardest part of this project as it involved more complicated joinery than the rest of the project, the raised panel had to be done by hand rather than using a router table as we did not have the necessary router piece, but it all came together in the end. :D

P1010198-1.jpg

P1010196-1.jpg

P1010194-1.jpg

P1010202-1.jpg

Comment as you see fit, good or bad.
Thanks

Woody.

I would have been proud of myself if I had made that when I was your age. =D> =D> =D>

You do have a bright future in wood working, keep it up :lol:

hi woody

nice effort for your age well done ,small thing or is it the light on the top it appears to have a raised edging lip rising to the rear of the top ? is this so? if so why was it done like this ?. hc

fantastic work well done =D> i wish i'd found woodwork at your age ....a credit to your school and dont worry about time taken. Get it right first .The more stuff you do the quicker you will become.
One comment about the work , which is in no way pickin fault just one of personal preference is that i would have made the door with a flat panel not raised.
As i said top work..WELL DONE

Infinitely better than anything I made when I was 16. Well done.

Cheers, Ed

Thanks all for the positive comments and to your answer Head clansman, there is a raised edging lip rising to the rear of the top i did this to stop thing from rolling off the top of the table or falling behind the table, the reason it is high at one end and flush at the other is so that it can be cleaned easier by stopping dirt getting trapped as well as making it easier to getting things off of the table top.

Hope that helps.

Woody.

Martin - i tried to match the wood as closely as i could, but your right when i put the finish on it did come up like that :?

hi woody

i was not criticising just wondered why the raised edge was tapered , good reason cleaning , and a very good effort, a joiner in the making keep it going now you have started . hc

That is really good.

It is great that some schools are encouraging this level of work, some of those I come across would be proud to have a few of bits of wood nailed together to make a rough nail box!

This at GCSE level is simply incredible! Very well done. You have a bright future ahead of you, I seriously doubt you find it hard to get a job.

Good job, Woody. :)

Are you staying on to do this course at A-level? I like the mitred splines at the corners of the doors - makes a bit of a change to mortise and tenon joinery! :wink:

Well in September i am going to go to Chichester college to do a two year furniture making course, which i am really looking forward to. :D

Woody.

Well done, far better than anything I made at School. Good luck with the course. Keep it up and you will definitely have a bright future making furniture

Lord Nibbo":3es47afr said:
I would have been proud of myself if I had made that when I was your age. =D> =D> =D>
:

I'd would have been proud of myself if I had made that when I was my age!

Nice work & having to do it at times dictated by others must make it more difficult.

You are skilled beyond your years =D> =D> =D>

Back